Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pursuing Masters Computer Science - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pursuing Masters Computer Science

2»

Comments

• @GaNi

I suggest getting some job experience on your resume before the master's for both increasing your admission chances and employment chances.

Working at an American/Multinational company's branch in your local country would be good.

• Have you thought about straight technical schools instead of universities? Since you want to focus on networking, there are plenty of ...Institute of Technology schools that specifically focus on this category. MIT is probably a little out of your reach, but the more common schools like DeVry and some of the ones in Arizona are pretty good.

• @iaps said:
    Have you thought about straight technical schools instead of universities? Since you want to focus on networking, there are plenty of ...Institute of Technology schools that specifically focus on this category. MIT is probably a little out of your reach, but the more common schools like DeVry and some of the ones in Arizona are pretty good.

Yes I did. Just few posts up, IIT seems to fit.

@kerouac said:
    GaNi

I suggest getting some job experience on your resume before the master's for both increasing your admission chances and employment chances.

Working at an American/Multinational company's branch in your local country would be good.

If I try, I can get a job, obviously using connections but I want to get the right one.(of my fields). So, I am looking for unis which have good campus recruits.

@Incero said:
    With a masters with no work experience (anything under 3 years is useless) you will be highly unemployable IMO.

Get RHCE, CCNA, or Juniper certs to increase your chances of employment. Masters means piddly squat. A bachelors and then a RHCE or CCNA makes you highly employable.

I'll get my CCNA done in this Jan. Already completed the course, probably even CCNP.

• jhjh Member
    edited December 2014

I don't know anything about what is offered by universities in the US but I would ask you to carefully consider this decision. I'm a PhD researcher in the UK and I will tell you what I know from the academics here:

If you did well enough on your BSc to get a reasonable job, take that opportunity. The experience will be worth more than an MSc.

If you want to teach at university level, there is no need for an MSc, just do a PhD.

If you REALLY did badly in your BSc and want to cover it up or if there's a specific module you want to take on the MSc programme, then it MAY be worth considering an MSc.

I suspect in your case, a professional level networking course may be better - something like a Cisco certification.

Thanked by 1GaNi
  • GaNiGaNi Member
    edited December 2014

@jhadley said:
    If you REALLY did badly in your BSc and want to cover it up or if there's a specific module you want to take on the MSc programme, then it MAY be worth considering an MSc.

I suspect in your case, a professional level networking course may be better - something like a Cisco certification.

Not exactly bad but not noticeable enough and yes I would like to cover that up. I am sure enough that I'll get the certs before I leave for the MS program.

PS: I don't want to be a teacher.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited December 2014

this looks like it would prepare you for entry level employment at a help desk doing technical support. People can generally do this without any kind of degree.

• @GaNi

Since you didn't provide much information about your background (country, university of your bachelor's degree) and what kind of job you exactly dream of, I can't quite provide the right comment for you.

@JoeMerit has a point. Now I don't want to push you into the wrong direction, but this degree doesn't look really advanced.

And you see the degree is called Master of Computer Science, which seems dodgy. What I expect from a proper degree in the US (specifically for US degrees) is Master of Science in Computer Science.

The fact that the degree is not an MSc seems bad, and makes it look like a professional degree rather than an academic one.

Now I don't know your plans or dreams, but that's not that good.

Although the bar is normally lower for foreign professionals, big companies are more into hiring people with better degrees, and better universities.

Ivy League etc etc.

Maybe your GRE is not good but no need to sell yourself short, unless you don't think you're a really technical/mathematical person.

If you don't like academics and your GPA wasn't great at the Bachelor's level, such a degree like IIT's would be OK.

But if you like science and academics, it's not a good one.

And IIT is ranked 111th best national university, which isn't a good rank.

I suggest you put some effort into GRE. You should get at least 600, and not that hard really.

Polish up your resume, get some letters of recommendation from professors at your Bachelor's institution etc, and apply for better colleges.

If you think this is your best and accept your limitations, go with this degree by all means. But I don't think that will get you to a USD 80000/yr sallary any time soon.

• @kerouac

I scored 300/340 in the GRE. Due to unavoidable circumstances couldn't practice for it and I gave it based on my instincts. I couldn't cancel the exam either since it was a $200 exam.

Secondly, IIT is 71st ranked afaik (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/illinois-institute-of-technology-armour-02053)

About the degree, it was just a recommendation. I'll dig deep.

• @GaNi said:
    kerouac

I scored 300/340 in the GRE. Due to unavoidable circumstances couldn't practice for it and I gave it based on my instincts. I couldn't cancel the exam either since it was a $200 exam.

Secondly, IIT is 71st ranked afaik (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/illinois-institute-of-technology-armour-02053)

About the degree, it was just a recommendation. I'll dig deep.

I don't know which country you are from, but if you are not from Singapore I would recommend you one of two paths:
    1) Retake the GRE
    or
    2) Consider applying for schools elsewhere, like Canada or UK

Your chances of getting H1B sponsorship to stay in the US after finishing a mediocre school are slim to none, especially with the low quotas. Granted, there may be immigration reform coming.