Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mirantis express cloud - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mirantis express cloud

Comments

• FortaCloud took your CC number, apparently to confirm your card, while registering. For Express Cloud you do not even have to give your CC number.

Because this sounds exactly like Fortacloud? And we all know how that went.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

black said: I'm surprised this thread hasn't blown up... Guys, a free 4GB openstack server for a year!

because we (or at least I) don't need a server just for a year

• Can you run windows on this? Cant find the option :|

• what about the bandiwdth of this

• Uptime problems in the last days

2014-12-16 14:41:16     System  Device status changed to Down (ping)
    2014-12-16 14:31:50     System  Device status changed to Up // 10min
    2014-12-16 14:26:17     System  Device status changed to Down (ping)
    2014-12-16 13:51:15     System  Device status changed to Up // 20min
    2014-12-16 13:26:26     System  Device status changed to Down (ping)
    2014-12-16 11:01:19     System  Device status changed to Up // 1h
    2014-12-16 10:06:16     System  Device status changed to Down (ping)
    2014-12-16 10:01:23     System  Device status changed to Up // 30min
    2014-12-16 09:36:17     System  Device status changed to Down (ping)
    2014-12-15 17:16:15     System  Device status changed to Up // 3 days
    2014-12-12 22:26:15     System  Device status changed to Down (ping)
    2014-12-11 15:51:14     System  Device status changed to Up // 1h
    2014-12-11 14:56:16     System  Device status changed to Down (ping)
    2014-12-11 14:46:14     System  Device status changed to Up // 30min
    2014-12-11 14:11:02     System  Device status changed to Down (ping)

• I got one for myself but... Shamefully I couldn't figure out how to make one connect to the outer world :D

• @Nomad said:
    I got one for myself but... Shamefully I couldn't figure out how to make one connect to the outer world :D

1. associate floating ip to running instance
    2. open ports in security group
  • got this email about their downtime

Dear Customer,

Following its general availability, demand for Mirantis OpenStack Express Developer Edition greatly exceeded our expectations last week and overloaded the capacity of our platform. It resulted in users experiencing intermittent issues starting Friday and continuing over the weekend. These issues are now resolved.

To prevent further service interruptions, the Mirantis operations team is upgrading the existing hardware infrastructure, which is expected to be completed in a few more days. This process may require some additional maintenance downtime.

Thank you for your patience as we resolve these issues.

• Currently having issues with them (two VMs being stuck with the task set to 'Deleting'), and being unable to create new VMs (Unable to map block device). Their support goes to a wordpress login page.

• @StartledPhoenix said:
    Currently having issues with them (two VMs being stuck with the task set to 'Deleting'), and being unable to create new VMs (Unable to map block device). Their support goes to a wordpress login page.

It goes to a wordpress login site, yes. Just login there and it will forward you to Zendesk.

• edited December 2014

@IceCream said:

>

Oh, there we go, thought I wasn't supposed to login to there :p

Got

Unfortunately, at this moment we can’t solve this problem.

However, we have passed it on to our dev-mox team.
    We will keep you updated about their progress.
    >

Thank you.

and

We have received your support request.

Our group will start researching this issue for you immediately.
    We will provide an update as soon as we can.
    >

Thank you.

Doesn't sound too good

• Got the same issues as @StartledPhoenix for the third time or so >.>

• However, I don't have root access?

• @windytime90 said:
    However, I don't have root access?

You do have root access, just use sudo passwd root. It's just some "annoying" security imo.

• edited December 2014

@TheLonely said:

also the default non-ovz debian/ubuntu installation settings :P

• Looks like its all fixed.

Greetings,

>

The problematic instances were deleted
    You can spin up new ones in your tenant

>

I'm going to mark the request as resolved.
    If you have further concerns or questions please do let us know, either by replying on this ticket or opening a new one at a later date

>

Thank you for choosing Mirantis OpenStack Express

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It sounds almost exactly as cloudstack issues. From what I heard, problems with volumes are widespread for all cloud platforms once you go past a certain threshold. We have 7 TB of allocated but unused "stuck" space we cannot free without downtime and at times things slow down too.
    At least it helps to know it was not an issue of bad luck at choosing the platform, even onapp has similar issues, not only the OS versions.
    That being said, we are deploying new clusters which will stay small and hopefully will not experience these issues. Too bad this wastes resources, on the other hand, if one cluster fails, only a small percentage of instances will be affected.

• @Maounique said:
    It sounds almost exactly as cloudstack issues. From what I heard, problems with volumes are widespread for all cloud platforms once you go past a certain threshold. We have 7 TB of allocated but unused "stuck" space we cannot free without downtime and at times things slow down too.
    At least it helps to know it was not an issue of bad luck at choosing the platform, even onapp has similar issues, not only the OS versions.
    That being said, we are deploying new clusters which will stay small and hopefully will not experience these issues. Too bad this wastes resources, on the other hand, if one cluster fails, only a small percentage of instances will be affected.

We managed to fix this issue (for the most part) in OpenNebula SunStone for our production servers and services we offer our clients. We still have random quota issues (such as VMs having their quota used after deletion); but this can be fixed simply by resetting ONEd once in a while (We have it fsck every six hours.)

It's took only 4-5 seconds last time, an acceptable downtime when it doesn't take any of the instances down, it only takes the manager panel for that location down for about five seconds. The only annoying part is that you reset some login sessions (which some clients complain about to no end.)

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @GoodHosting so if I have the volatile quota error, it will be fixed automatically within 6 hours?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

CloudStack issues are deeper than that, it is not even a cloudstack issue, it is how many volumes are behaving, how snapshotting interacts, stuff like that, it did not become apparent before we had tens of thousands of small volumes. We determined that making smaller clusters will solve the issue, we began to add those and then we will shrink the big ones, when they are small enough, we will reclaim the space, but it will take a long time.

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • @c1bl said:
    GoodHosting so if I have the volatile quota error, it will be fixed automatically within 6 hours?

Yup, or you can just drop me a message, and I can manually restart that cluster.

@Maounique said:
    CloudStack issues are deeper than that, it is not even a cloudstack issue, it is how many volumes are behaving, how snapshotting interacts, stuff like that, it did not become apparent before we had tens of thousands of small volumes. We determined that making smaller clusters will solve the issue, we began to add those and then we will shrink the big ones, when they are small enough, we will reclaim the space, but it will take a long time.

What volumes are you using, CephFS for your outward datastore has very similar issues when you start doing snapshots. LVM also fails miserably if you are using LVM for snapshots, just due to how the LVM thin pool works right now.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on how ours does it at the moment (as we're sworn to not release the storage system before they do.) The company themselves would have to come and explain it (I've linked our rep to this thread.)

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • Does anyone know the password on the debian image?

• @Ruriko said:
    Does anyone know the password on the debian image?

You have to use ssh keys, use the user debian to login.

• reserved.

• edited January 2015

Some more issues today - DHCP server seems to have gone on a new years drinking binge and has vanished causing all my VMs to have no addresses...

Unfortunately, at this moment we can’t solve this problem.

However, we have passed it on to our development team.
    We will keep you updated about their progress.

At the moment, Mirantis Express Cloud seems to a bit beta-ey

• StartledPhoenix said: Mirantis Express Cloud seems to a bit beta-ey

that is correct. the network dies way often.. i would be sad if i paid for it

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • StartledPhoenix said: Some more issues today - DHCP server seems to have gone on a new years drinking binge and has vanished causing all my VMs to have no addresses...

aww no wonder why my vps has no internet :(

• Yep, there was some outage tonight

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited January 2015

Anyone experiencing packet loss to their vps? support asked me to provide logs of packet loss but I don't know how to debug on windows server :(

• @hotsnow said:

I am from India and it is asking for Credit Card info