Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you consider yourself a DevOps Engineer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you consider yourself a DevOps Engineer?

edited December 2014 in General

I just got a new job as "Senior Middleware Administrator" and if you ask me, its DevOps...

I am curious, What makes a person a DevOps Engineer in your opinion?

Comments

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited December 2014

They live in The Cloud.

• A boss needs a super man to deal with all jobs in the entire process. Then here comes DevOps.

Thanked by 1jeffreylroberts
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

my job title is "mr. know-it-all"

• Huh.. I just got a new job and it appears that 'DevOps' fits it entirely. Never even heard of that term before.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

The term has become very popular in the last year or two.

In my ${DAY_JOB} we have infrastructure people who do network, server, DBA, middleware, etc. Then there are app people who write code. The DevOps people are the ones in between that are application administrators, infrastructurer customizers, etc.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @raindog308 said:
    The term has become very popular in the last year or two.

In my ${DAY_JOB} we have infrastructure people who do network, server, DBA, middleware, etc. Then there are app people who write code. The DevOps people are the ones in between that are application administrators, infrastructurer customizers, etc.

I am under the impression the middleware guys are the ones debugging the developers code on staging and production environments, what do the middleware guys do at you ${DAY_JOB} (lol)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jeffreylroberts said: I am under the impression the middleware guys are the ones debugging the developers code on staging and production environments, what do the middleware guys do at you ${DAY_JOB} (lol)

They do middleware :-)

e.g., IBM Websphere, JBoss, Tibco, various queueing technologies, eGate, ETL stuff like Informatic/Cognos, etc.

• DevOps is the worst job ever. Devs break EVERYTHING in production.

• @0xdragon said:
    DevOps is the worst job ever. Devs break EVERYTHING in production.

But it works on their local!

Thanked by 1ehab
  • been giving the title devops many times i find that it means something different then it really should.

Devops are pretty much system admins that code. so they set up the network and servers as if it was automated parts of code that needed self healing and fancy one liners. not all devops have large background in ops sometimes there just there because an interest in ops and they code.

I really find that devops become the most useful when they are working with the system engineers, and some other types of devs. Lets say you have 5 teams of engineers and 5 devops and an ops team. You use the devops to sit in the dev teams make sure they have what they need that new features will have a home and that everything is ready for when the ops team really needs to run things. It also allows the devs to ask queriestions that if they were not told how it works by ops they would shoot the servers dead with bad coding ideas and full table scans.

Thanked by 1jeffreylroberts
  • @wojons said:
    Devops are pretty much system admins that code....

Thats pretty much how I define it, the short and sweet version

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • No, but with great respect.

A good DevOps knows the sys internal: networking, storage, firewall etc, and can provision the system automatically using puppet, chef, salt, ansible ...

• In my previous day job DevOPs Administrator responsible to ensure applications developed by third parties meets the requirements of corresponding applications i.e. interfaces between ATM machine -> Core Banking -> Credit/Debit Card Network -> Accounting, from development stage to deployment or PAT stage.

• bigcatbigcat Member
    edited December 2014

Based on my observation on job opening description,
    DevOps is sysadmin who know server orchestration and able to read(and write automation) code. I've been doing that since I start working as sysadmin.

Maybe I should request for salary adjustment according to devops market rate ;)

• @0xdragon said:
    DevOps is the worst job ever. Devs break EVERYTHING in production.

Tell me about it...