Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 in 10 Spam Emails Are Relayed From India
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 in 10 Spam Emails Are Relayed From India

TazTaz Member
edited July 2012 in General

http://www.zdnet.com/india-sends-you-the-most-spam-7000001422/

Has potential but using it the wrong way.

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

0= so sorry for that

btw, why chicagovps is tagged?

Thanked by 1Taz
  • TazTaz Member

Sorry! Meant Chicken (my Sign :P) fixed.

• AsadAsad Member

Grrr those Indians... with a good spam filter you can cut out all this shit anyway.

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

India has become safe heaven for all those foreign students enjoying good diplomatic cover doing all sorts of trade, nigerian business, lottery money through emails and by SMS. Many computers get hacked(and abused) as most of them still use pirated XP.
    Now the nigerians employ or marry there to push others on the front. Its been on news with every 3-4 months s'one getting caught & exposed.
    But ppl can get away easily if know the ways...

yesterday only i had to block temp. suspend a domain of a client a...a.in as received AUP complaint from level3.com

Received: from [8.2.1.1] by usfamily.net (USFamily MTA
    v5/:PGFpaWxhQHhlbnNlcnZlci5kdXNoaXNvbHV0aW9ucy5uZXQ_PGtkdWRlcm9AdXNmYW1pbHkubmV0Pg--)
    with SMTP id <20120717110733100136800015> for
    k...ero@usfamily.net; Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:07:33 -0500 (CDT)
    (envelope-from [email protected], notifiable
    emailnetwork 8.22.201.)
    Received: from a..la by xen.xyz.net with local (Exim 4.77)
    (envelope-from a..la@xen.xyz.net)id 1SmFSG-0002x3-Ldfor
    [email protected]; Wed, 04 Jul 2012 06:36:38 +0400
    To: k...ero@usfamily.net
    Subject: DISCOVER - SECURITY NOTIFICATION
    Reply-To: Support@Paysbas-banque.securnet
    Content-Type: text/html
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
    X-Mailer: PHP v5.3.13

Have replied to level3 that action taken...
    got reply from client...
    Hi,
    a..la.in uses Wordpress and the emails are hosted on google.com
    we never use a..la.in for mails.
    Looks like someone has hacked through some plugin of wordpress and done the abuse.
    Pls unsuspend so that we can find out and upgrade the necessary, also remove the files put by the hacker(if any)
    Thanks & Regards

i know the client is right (and Discover card is not used in india AFAIK) but i'll wait for 48 hrs. give instructions to him to secure his wordpress and unsuspend..

• TaylorTaylor Member

@Pats said: 48 hr

That would annoy me very much, if you know the client is in the right why are you causing 48 hours of downtime for him?

• bamnbamn Member

All the SEO spam that hits my main email accounts come from India or have Indian keywords (Chennai, Mumbai, etc) in them.

Thanked by 1eLohkCalb
  • TazTaz Member

@Taylor said: That would annoy me very much, if you know the client is in the right why are you causing 48 hours of downtime for him?

So next time, he would act smart and secure his WP and at the same time, won't install everysingle free plugin available online.

• 1 in 10 seems pretty low considering India's population.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: 1 in 10 seems pretty low considering India's population.

But then not a lot of the population has internet access.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@NinjaHawk said: So next time, he would act smart and secure his WP and at the same time, won't install everysingle free plugin available online.

>

If someone spams for your service should you be cut of for 48 hours so you screen your clients better?

• TazTaz Member

@Taylor said: If someone spams for your service should you be cut of for 48 hours so you screen your clients better?

Depending on how big the spam issue is. I generally tend to give 24 hour notice, failure to reply with a immediate solution = Instant Suspension+Fee (Per TOS) and failure to re-activate account within 72 hour = termination. Straight forward solution. Before when I used to take the soft approach, clients would comeback (90%) time saying they were on vacation. Which I know is pure BS.

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2012

@Taylor said: That would annoy me very much, if you know the client is in the right why are you causing 48 hours of downtime for him?

I have to show to the Datacenter whose IP was blocked by that domain usfamily.net & also have to show to the mighty level3
    Datacenter is more important as next time they can pull the plug if they see i take their term easy...

yes.. message also to the client so that in future he secures/updates his stuff.. and don't take these things lightly...

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited July 2012

1 in 10 statistics is made up!

Though i do believe that most of it does come from developing countries in the south pacific