Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanilla forum themes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vanilla forum themes?

Mark_RMark_R Member
edited December 2014 in Help

Hi.

I'm setting up a gaming community and would like to have a central source of communication.

I did pick Vanilla as forum system mainly because i really liked how LET functions through it! - i've successfully installed it but now im looking to add a custom theme to it, problem is, i cannot find alot of sites that create themes for Vanilla.

So far i found:

1. http://vanillaforums.org/addon/browse/themes

2. http://www.vanillaskins.com

3. http://themeforest.net/category/forums/vanilla

and that's it. there is a serious lack of good themes. it would be great if you guys could share some links for more themes - i dont mind paying a fixed price for them.

Thanks!

Comments

• Best of luck, personally I suggest you find a different forum software.

• And if you follow the suggestion above, take a look at discourse.

• @Mun said:
    Best of luck, personally I suggest you find a different forum software.

+1 I'd suggest IP.Board otherwise hire someone to make a theme for you or make one yourself.

• I would suggest you stay with Vanilla Forums, is a pretty damn grat forum software, has alot of capabilities and is fast, very fast. Play around with the original theme or try to contact someone to make it for you, I will say that going 'vanilla' is better, is not how your forum looks but what the content is. Good luck! :)

• ben78ben78 Member
    edited December 2014

qrwteyrutiyoup said: take a look at discourse.

Sounds nice. Does it needs a lot of ressources to function properly?

edit: hardware requirement from https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.md
    Dual core CPU recommended
    1 GB RAM minimum (with swap)
    64 bit Linux compatible with Docker

That's quite a bit...

• Vanilla is a nice forum software but they are lacking in themes. Some other similar alternatives would be discourse and nodebb.

• Thanks for the feedback guys but i wont switch forum software just because of the lack of themes. Vanilla is perfect for what i want to accomplish so i guess im going to get my hands dirty and start modifying the default theme myself.

If in the meantime anyone finds another resource for vanilla themes feel free to share it.

• @Mark_R said:
    Thanks for the feedback guys but i wont switch forum software just because of the lack of themes. Vanilla is perfect for what i want to accomplish so i guess im going to get my hands dirty and start modifying the default theme myself.

If in the meantime anyone finds another resource for vanilla themes feel free to share it.

It may be perfect for what you need now, but when the community grows it will probably stop being that perfect.
    Vanilla is far away from perfectness and lacks a lot of useful features..
    I would suggest you to go with IP.Board (paid) or MyBB (free).

I've used MyBB in the past, and it's great. Now, I'm using IP.Board and developing some applications/modifications for it; that's why I left MyBB. Although, of all the free forum platforms, MyBB is the best.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Mark_R said:
    Thanks for the feedback guys but i wont switch forum software just because of the lack of themes. Vanilla is perfect for what i want to accomplish so i guess im going to get my hands dirty and start modifying the default theme myself.

If you're happy with BootStrap, grab this theme - http://vanillaforums.org/addon/bootstrap-theme

And modify the hell out of it, it's all fairly simple.

Thanked by 2Mark_R TheKiller
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2014

@luissousa said:
    I've used MyBB in the past, and it's great. Now, I'm using IP.Board and developing some applications/modifications for it; that's why I left MyBB. Although, of all the free forum platforms, MyBB is the best.

If it really won't work out i definitly choose MyBB, i've worked with it before but its just so bloated..

• I really like how Vanilla's flow is, but I don't care too much for the Vanilla Team one bit. Their lack of themes is frustrating, but the only one I've come closed to near the Vanilla experience is EsoTalk. I wish people would build a better forum similar to these two with a great community behind it. LowEndForum anyone?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Put XenForo to your list if you want to have more alternatives to Vanilla.

They have a very active community and finding themes is much easier.

• said: I'm setting up a gaming community and would like to have a central source of communication.

Hi, vanilla for gaming community is not good.

The main problem of vanilla it's not friendly interface.

Try something like xenforo or IPB.

Both very good.

Both have tons of plugins, themes, features.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Vanilla is sad. Search is awful

• jhjh Member

I personally like Vanilla. That said, I also have a vB5 licence for sale if you're interested.

• Xenforo for gaming community website.

• If you just want Vanilla and not santisfied with default theme. Go themeforest and find a designer to make one. Not cheap but also cheaper than you find some random companies online.

• If you give up of Vanilla, try XenForo :)

• Please don't use XenForo, IP.board, Vbulletin, MyBb or phpbb3...

• For my vanilla sites I just made my own based off the standard theme.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2014

Looks like i'll be using Vanilla after all. I've found a theme that i really like and vanilla has alot of plugins avaible! so far i'm really comfy with this forum system and i believe that this is what matters the most.

• Mark_R said: I've found a theme that i really like

Nice :)

Would you link to this theme here so that we can check it out?

Thx!

• @ben78 said:
    Nice :)

>

Would you link to this theme here so that we can check it out?

>

Thx!

Do you wanna rate it? lol.

anyways - http://vanillaforums.org/addon/apptastic-theme

• Mark_R said: Do you wanna rate it? lol.

Well, a nice vanilla theme is always interesting to know about, even if I don't like the 'vanilla business', i kinda like the software :)

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2014

@ben78 said:
    Well, a nice vanilla theme is always interesting to know about, even if I don't like the 'vanilla business', i kinda like the software :)

'vanilla business' - what do you mean by that?

• Mark_R said: 'vanilla business' - what do you mean by that?

Well, some time ago the link to the software had been removed, pushing as much traffic as possible to the hosted plateform, and you had to make quite a few jumps to find a link to a tarball (if you ended up successful). The link came back after a few weeks though, but I felt strange about that.

I'm used to 100% community made software though, that's probably why that did feel strange.

We can't blame them to make some dough to keep coding, hey :)

• @Mark_R which game is the community about?

• @kerouac said:
    Mark_R which game is the community about?

multiple games. as the community grows more gameservers for different games will be setup. i'd like to have one big fun non-serious community without 360noscope pro bitchasses - the community is mainly for people who just wanna blow off some steam and have a good time after coming back from work.

• @Mark_R said:

well nice, let me know about this, i'd like to take part if possbile

• @kerouac said:
    well nice, let me know about this, i'd like to take part if possbile

I've sent you a private message.

This discussion has been closed.