Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how much did you spend for vps or dedicated on 2014 & gained back - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

how much did you spend for vps or dedicated on 2014 & gained back

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

raindog308 said: That's not the point for all of us.

ehab said: can you please give 1 point?

I'm guessing you're trying to make a word play joke, though...I don't get it.

• @raindog308
    not at all, let me explain :
    i wanted to understand your reply with " That's not the point for all of us. "
    are you saying that its not the point to gain profit from investing on vps or dedicated?

• If you're running a profit-driven adventure it doesn't make much sense to compare profits with server cost. It's a bit like asking "do the things you do on your webservers provide you with a living"

ehab said: not at all, let me explain : i wanted to understand your reply with " That's not the point for all of us. " are you saying that its not the point to gain profit from investing on vps or dedicated?

It's one possible point but hardly the only one.

Your poll question was "how much did you spend for vps or dedicated on 2014 & gained back".

I run VPSes for a variety of reasons:

• my personal blog, which doesn't have ads - and I doubt I'd make much even if it did :-)
    • TOR relays
    • FreeNet nodes
    • a Diaspora pod
    • a seedbox

etc. These all cost money, but none of them are done to gain profit.

I suspect there are many other people who run VPSes for reasons other than making money - their personal mail/file servers, game servers, seedboxes, etc.

Is that really that surprising!?!? Do people only view the Internet as a place to get rich? If so that makes me kind of sad.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @ricardo
    wouldn't it be nice to earn some good money from the learning or at least return the amount spent.
    anyway, in 2014 i had my share of spending with 0 income and now i plan to use what i know in some project hopefully.

• @raindog308 it can be the opposite where one can get poor"er" :(

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2014

You can't reduce it down a simple formula like the question you asked, raindog points out several reasons why.

I could buy a $10/y VPS, put up a few pages with financial content, stick adsense on and craft half a dozen fraudulent clicks at $10 a piece. That'd be a huge % of profit in the frame of your question.

Alternatively I might buy some hardware and colocation and offer cheap VPS and make 10% profit.

You could provide some code to do [insert cool thing here] and rely on donations.

Hardware is generally cheap so it's not a good metric to measure the success of whatever you're doing. Your time is more valuable, and a better metric to use. If someone spent 10 hours creating something that generates $10 of revenue a day, that's better than someone spending countless hours on a 2 Euro dedi, IMO.

Thanked by 3ehab vimalware geekalot
  • @ricardo , i agree and in fact useful content is all that matter even if it does not generate income. thanks for your input

ehab said: it can be the opposite where one can get poor"er" :(

I guess it depends on how you view life. The things I do online make my life better and the world better. I don't view that as getting poor.

I have absolutely no objection to people making money online but I hardly think that's how we should judge benefit.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • zemigptzemigpt Member
    edited December 2014

65 USD spent.
    8 USD gained

• @zemigpt said:
    65 USD spent.
    8 USD gained

Is that " 57 USD Lost ", or " 73 USD Gained " ?

• I refuse to answer this question LoL

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • How do you even make money? Lol

• @GoodHosting said:
    Is that " 57 USD Lost ", or " 73 USD Gained " ?

57 lost.

• SpinNakerSpinNaker Member
    edited December 2014

My Own Dedicated Box:
    Spent - $249 / Month | Gain - None :(

Company I Worked For:
    Spent: Around $53 Grand in Dedicated/ Co-location Bill | Gain: Billion of Dollars annually.

• click4easyclick4easy Member
    edited December 2014

****> @SpinNaker said:

My Own Dedicated Box:
    Spent - $249 / Month | Gain - None :(

Company I Worked For:
    Spent: Around $53 Grand in Dedicated/ Co-location Bill | Gain: Billion of Dollars annually.

which company did you work

• spent >300 on servers
    got >100% return XD

(Vultr servers pay for themselves via referrals with a 1:1.5 ratio )
    (Other RamNode Server have my main sites which generate enough revenue to pay for itself and 2 freelancers to update it daily XD XD XD)