Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

256MB $10.5/yr ☆ 1GB @ $40/yr ☆ 2GB @ $7/mo ☆ KVM SSD + RAID10 ☆ Windows/*NIX ☆ Three Locations! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

256MB $10.5/yr ☆ 1GB @ $40/yr ☆ 2GB @ $7/mo ☆ KVM SSD + RAID10 ☆ Windows/*NIX ☆ Three Locations!

2»

Comments

• @johnlth93 said:
    GoodHosting you're not replying PM and also ticket https://clients.goodhosting.co/viewticket.php?tid=TDS-3159-VAP&c=KvKBCnn2

The ticket TDS-3159-VAP was opened on Thursday 4th December at 08:04 PST , and services have a 72 hour deployment window as was clearly stated in the opening post, and my further posts in this thread.

As per the PM, I'm working on that :).

Please note that deployments are handled manually, your VPS could take up to 72 hours to be initially provisioned, from which point; you can use the provided SunStone management panel to re-create your VPS at any time, even change your OS or resources completely. This manual deployment system is in place to protect both our company / existing customers, as well as you (the future customer) from abuse and fraud.

• I need a little assistance, please check the ticket at your earliest convenience

• @vpnarea said:
    I need a little assistance, please check the ticket at your earliest convenience

Get in line, I've been waiting for 3 days for the next reply now :)

• @pwnflakes Yes it seems like it's a voice in the desert... May be at least you've figured out how to set a root password on a deployed machine and can help me? Either I'm severely distracted or there is simply no place to click to change password in the metricloud. Or is the only way to change the password booting the machine with modifying the boot loader for root access?

• @GoodHosting it has been few days without answering of tickets so I will summarise the issues here, may be you don't receive tickets for some reasons:

1. Scranton cloud does not have Debian template and when I create one it does not allow me to deploy a server due to not available resources quota

2. The Chicago cloud panel does not have a function to change the password or at least I can't find it.

3. The BHS Canada cloud panel does not have Debian panel and does not allow for creation of one.

4 out of 4 servers purchased can not be used due to those issues, so please assist asap.

• Hello @vpnarea, @pwnflakes :

Please note the following in regards to your welcome messages:

Please note that as we are a cloud provider, we do not create your instance for you. Please login to the Sunstone Management panel with the details above and create your first instance using the on-screen instructional wizard. You can customize all aspects of your instance while deploying it, and can select the Operating System or Distribution you would like to use from this same process.

If you would like further control over your instance, such as a custom hardware layout, custom ISO or template, or specialized network configuration; please first change your "View" to the "User" view, this will allow you more control over your "Templates". You can do this by clicking your username in the top right of sunstone, then selecting "Change View", "User", "Apply View". In this new "User" view you can either "Clone" (copy) or "Create" a "Template" to choose all of these settings.

We STRONGLY RECOMMEND "Clone"ing one of our existing templates, as if you create one from scratch; you may miss out some required settings (such as your network interface, storage, or VNC information required for console to function.) Here you can change things such as your CPU configuration, storage, network, features, and many other advanced settings related to KVM and hardware layout.

If you would like to use your own ISO media or qcow2 image, you can add this in the "Images" screen; also available through the "User" view as described above. The default "Cloud" interface is simply meant for ease of use, and does not contain all of the features mentioned above.

We have some documentation on OpenNebula here:

http://freevps.us/thread-13566.html (outdated)

And OpenNebula's official documentation is here:

http://docs.opennebula.org/4.8/

As we provide you with a KVM server, it is to be treated (for all intents and purposes) as if it were dedicated, physical hardware. That is to say, that if you were to (for example) attempt to change the root password, you must do using either the passwd command on a *nix machine, (or using "net user " under Windows); or you can boot the machine into SingleUser mode (among other means), and reset the password as the distribution recommends.

For Debian as an example, some recommend:

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Debian_reset_root_password

If your question is in regards to changing your OpenNebula SunStone password, please instead turn to the OpenNebula SunStone documentation which can be found in the quote above. You simply click on your username, (then click Settings if prompted); and click on "Password" or "Change Password" (depending on your language).

@vpnarea

Consider using the "Resize" or "Customize" option (user view and cloud view respectively) when deploying your Virtual Machine / Instance to be sure it is within your quotas. You can check your quotas on the "Dashboard".

As per Debian, here are the image IDs and template IDs they can be found as in each location:

Montreal

bhs1 ~ $ onetemplate list | grep -i "deb\|ID"
      ID USER            GROUP           NAME                                REGTIME
       8 FreeVPSAdmin    FreeVPS         ISO - Debian 7.5 32 Bit Net  06/01 07:29:30
       9 FreeVPSAdmin    FreeVPS         ISO - Debian 7.5 64 Bit Net  06/01 07:31:10
      13 FreeVPSAdmin    FreeVPS         ISO - Debian 6.0.9 32 Bit N  06/01 07:46:12
      14 FreeVPSAdmin    FreeVPS         ISO - Debian 6.0.9 64 Bit N  06/01 07:48:23

bhs1 ~ $ oneimage list | grep -i "deb\|ID"
      ID USER       GROUP      NAME            DATASTORE     SIZE TYPE PER STAT RVMS
       9 FreeVPSAdm FreeVPS    ISO - Debian 7. default       277M CD    No rdy     0
      11 FreeVPSAdm FreeVPS    ISO - Debian 7. default       222M CD    No rdy     0
      14 FreeVPSAdm FreeVPS    ISO - Debian 6. default       191M CD    No rdy     0
      15 FreeVPSAdm FreeVPS    ISO - Debian 6. default       168M CD    No rdy     0

Scranton

fox1 ~ $ onetemplate list | grep -i "deb\|ID"
      23 Host4PostAdmin  Host4Post       Debian 7.5.0 32 Bit          06/25 05:17:50
      25 Host4PostAdmin  Host4Post       Debian 7.5.0 64 Bit          06/25 05:21:29

fox1 ~ $ oneimage list | grep -i "deb\|ID"
      21 oneadmin   users      Debian 7.5.0 Ne default       222M CD    No used    2
      22 oneadmin   users      Debian 7.5.0 Ne default       277M CD    No used    3

Chicago

o1 ~ $ onetemplate list | grep -i "deb\|ID"
     120 GoodHosting-adm GoodHosting     Linux Debian 7.6             09/07 18:37:08

o1 ~ $ oneimage list | grep -i "deb\|ID"
     196 GoodHostin GoodHostin os-linux_debian GH-Images       5G OS    No used   19

However, as mentioned in the welcome message; you're meant to add your own media if you need a specific version not listed in our opening post, welcome E-Mail, or already included in our repositories. Most people install their own either way, even though we provide both templates and ISO media in all locations.

I'll go through and check on both of your tickets to see if the issue(s) have been sorted.

• @GoodHosting ,
    My issue is very simple. I just want a debian template, however there is none to be found, even under the "user" view. This is my second VPS with you, and the first one had the debian template available, no problem. On this one all I have however is centOS, Windows etc.

Based on your last reply I'm assuming you want me to install "my own" ISO, which honestly, I have never done and I have no clue about.

This second VPS has also been unusable since the purchase, much like in @vpnarea 's case

I understand that you're a "cloud provider", however the OS selection in the OP clearly states debian to be available, which is just not the case for me.

On a side note, I have been very happy with my other VPS with GoodHosting, it's been very stable compared to many others. I run with around 50 other providers, so that's something. :)

• vpnareavpnarea Member
    edited December 2014

@GoodHosting your panel is much different than any other hosting company I've been with and I think your instructions were not clear enough and in my opinion you should be more open to involving yourself in helping customers directly, given the circumstances. If you meant to offer no help because your offers were dirt-cheap price wise then everything in the deployment process should have been immaculate for the OS you listed as available.

While I encourage software innovations and alternatives to WHMCS, from all the cloud panels I've worked with that has been the one that offers the most dreadful experience for the people who want to use Debian and not Ubuntu/Centos. All this could have been resolved if you simply provided a Debian 7 OS tested template just like you did with the Chicago node, where everything is fine.

You could have at least made a screencast on how to install Debian on Scranton and Canada nodes where it is not available as OS but only as image. Like @pwnflakes you state in your offer that Debian OS is available (Easyinstall = not easy) but in reality it isn't and there are no step by step instructions on how to install it. Even if you manage to create a virtual machine the user will not have the VNC button enabled unless he has added a specific line in the Advanced mode of creating the template, something that is no where clearly written or demonstrated, you only mentioned it may be difficult to configure a custom template because of the VNC...

After much poking around @pwnflakes I got that far:

1. switch to user mode (Settings -> Conf -> Mode: user) in order to see images on the left side of the panel.

2. Select the Debian image of your choice -> click Enable (from the drop down menu above)

3. Click on Templates -> Create -> Capacity CPU 0.25 for 256mb VPS and then select Debian from the Disk field. (@Goodhosting there should be a template for all of the offers you have, not just 512mb and 1gb, in Dashboard it does not say the owner of 256mb vps should specify 0.25 CPU, it says other things like % which imply deducting abilities and treasure hunt to find that number in the first place. This whole process is a treasure hunt, except there is not treasure yet.

4. Go to Network click Advanced, a text field will appear, add the line: GRAPHICS=[TYPE="VNC",LISTEN="0.0.0.0"]
      or you will not have VNC enabled once the machine is deployed.

5. Deploy and go to Virtual Machines, click on your machine and you will see a VNC button in the upper right corner, which will be available for clicking because you added this line from 4) that no one told you about.

6. Voiala, a small window will now pop-up with the graphic installation wizard of Debian which is normally pretty straight through, just Enter your way through it (except for the root password).

BUT NO -> When you get to "Detecting Disks" there will be no disks detected. None of the disks drivers offered will work and you will end up trying to create volatile disk back into Template editing mode and then load the image as CDROM but that will not work because as soon as you try to create Volatile Disk it will say you have surpassed your quota of 10GB, even though you have 0 machines deployed (assuming you deleted the one we just deployed) and even though you try with 1-2-3-4-5GB.

So @Goodfollowing this has been a horrible experience so far and the fact you answer tickets once in every few days further aggravates the issue.

My issue is not resolved because disks are not detected, I've spent over an hour or two already, do you have another solution for how can I detect disks apart from referring me to outdated articles which are not designed for the otherwise easy task of installing Debian OS?

BTW if you just installed a deployable Debian OS on Scranton and Canada all those problems would not have happened and our posts here would not have existed if you responded to tickets in timely manner.

• edited December 2014

I honestly do not get how people are having trouble.

Its quite simple.

1. Go to Virtual Resources -> Images.
    2. Click the '+' sign.
    3. Type in the name/description
    4. Switch the type to 'CDROM'
    5. Set Datastore to GH-Images
    6. Choose 'Upload' (Side Note, this was all done on a server with VNC because my home internet was too slow)
    7. Click the + sign again after uploading
    8. Create a datablock this time in GH-Images with your disk size. Make sure disk is persistent
    9. Go to Templates
    10. Place a checkmark next to a template (It honestly does not matter what template, just choose a Linux OS)
    11. Click Clone
    12. Click on the new template after you named it
    13. Click on Update
    14. Fiddle with the amount of resources.
    15. Click on 'Storage'
    16. The first disk should already be there and something should be selected. Ignore it and select your CD in the list
    17. Click "+Add another disk"
    18. Choose the Datablock you created in step 8.
    19. Dont fiddle with anything else, just click 'Update' and then 'Instantiate'
    20. Go to a club, party for a while, when a few hours have passed, the VM will be created.

That creates a new image for you.

Don't create a 'new' template, clone the template from the existing ones. There is already a warning in the welcome email about this.

• @StartledPhoenix When I follow your advise and copy the template and use an image which is already uploaded and it's Debian 7 I still get "Disks not detected" error during installation. I guess that is because in Settings -> Quota my Volatile Disks usage is 10GB / 10GB, or full. I'm not sure how is full given that there aren't any machines of mine deployed but I bet this is why I'm not able to add volatile disk.

By the way on Canada node there is no GH-Images option when you try to upload your own image.

Any input from @Goodhosting will be appreciated.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited December 2014

@vpnarea said:
    StartledPhoenix When I follow your advise and copy the template and use an image which is already uploaded and it's Debian 7 I still get "Disks not detected" error during installation. I guess that is because in Settings -> Quota my Volatile Disks usage is 10GB / 10GB, or full. I'm not sure how is full given that there aren't any machines of mine deployed but I bet this is why I'm not able to add volatile disk.

Your Volatile storage quota is supposed to be full, that means that the storage you added to your Virtual Private Server was successfully attached. Now, as per the "Disks not detected"; I'm not sure what you're getting there (perhaps the actual error message might shed some light here.)

Here is an example template definition for Debian, on our Montreal location:

VCPU="1"
    OS=[ARCH="x86_64"]
    GRAPHICS=[LISTEN="127.0.0.1",TYPE="VNC"]
    DISK=[IMAGE_UNAME="FreeVPSAdmin",IMAGE="ISO - Debian 7.5 AMD64 Netinstall"]
    DISK=[DEV_PREFIX="vd",IMAGE_UNAME="oneadmin",IMAGE="Empty 10GB Datablock"]
    CPU="0.5"
    INPUT=[TYPE="tablet",BUS="usb"]
    FEATURES=[APIC="yes",ACPI="yes",PAE="yes"]
    NIC=[MODEL="virtio",NETWORK="Public Network 02",NETWORK_UNAME="oneadmin"]
    MEMORY="512"

@vpnarea said:
    By the way on Canada node there is no GH-Images option when you try to upload your own image.

The Chicago node has "GH-Images", but Montreal and Scranton you only have the default datastores to work with (which is all you need.) As Chicago was our latest deployment, we were able to customize it, and make things a little more streamlined.

• [TemplateInstantiate] User [112] : Not authorized to perform USE IMAGE [11].

I get that error when I use the parameters you've quoted (with adjusted 0.25 cpu and 256 memory).

You haven't given any parameters for Scranton so I can not try there.

The Volatile Disks quota is full without any virtual private server existent. There are 0 virtual servers deployed, yet the Volatile Disks quota is full, so I can't add a disk to a custom template.

• As LET readers are probably not interested in all details, I'll move all that into ticket again but please help me sort this out because I can't use the servers for 7 days and I'm really trying everything possible.

• Is rDNS supported from control panel or do we need to raise a ticket?

• @vpnarea said:
    As LET readers are probably not interested in all details, I'll move all that into ticket again but please help me sort this out because I can't use the servers for 7 days and I'm really trying everything possible.

Yes, same here. However it's been 7 days since the last reply I've gotten, so yea..
    OP seems to offer pro rata refunds, so I might just take that. It's just a few bucks but I'll save myself from the hassle.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2014

I took up this offer on the 8th, invoice paid and product marked as active, though I'm still waiting on login credentials. A bot created ticket said the resources had been provisioned which I'd replied to on the same day. Still waiting on a human to give me something usable.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2014

service provided, and 25% of value of invoice given as credit for lateness of provisioning. im not a huge fan of their custom UI but it works fine.

• @GoodHosting obviously you have time to answer here on forum to other people but don't have time to answer my ticket which is unanswered for the last 40+ hours. As my issue is not resolved for over 9 days now I'm requesting a refund.

My input that Volatile-Disks-Quota is full regardless that there are 0 VPS deployed was ignored in the last answer and I can't wait another 2 days to get a new one.

Please provide a refund, I've requested it through the ticket as well, although I doubt it will be seen anytime soon.

• paid after 24 hrs/ no info

• @antiycda said:
    paid after 24 hrs/ no info

Have you received your VPS info? It usually provisioned within 72 hours.

• My tickets are being ignored, I've requested a refund, please process it. For over 2 weeks I could not use my servers and deploy most of them

• I ordered and paid using PayPal, my invoice is still marked as unpaid, and after 24 hours no answer on my ticket. Amazing how they just ignore paying customers.

• @GoodHosting I've been waiting for a refund for quite some time now, when are you planning to do it?

• the vps is offline now and the control panel denied to log in.