Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does hitting 40mbps mean?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does hitting 40mbps mean?

Sorry, I'm quite confused on this network topic.

I am on a 1gbps bandwidth port and techs told me I'm hitting 40mbps. They seem to worry about it and I'm not sure what it really means?

Is that large enough as a DoS attack? Is that a big enough traffic?

Please enlighten me on this matter.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

What plan are you on? What are they exactly complaining about?

• Um, that would mean you are using 40mbps?

That shouldn't be a problem.

• Is it 40mbps or 40 MBps?

But 40 MBps or 40 mbps shouldn't be problem with 1Gbps port.

Or are you sharing this port with 20 other people?

• That they are throttling my speed to 100mbps because I'm using high bandwidth.
    I have 10TB limit on 1gbps port.

I'm baffled by this.

• Do they have any policy with using bandwidth for long period? I think you're using >40mbps for too long so they raised a flag.

Thanked by 1bitsback
  • It seems like theyre finding an excuse to throttle because they oversold, anyway, if you don't mind can you post the tickets?

• edited December 2014

If you constantly push 40 Mbps then your monthly bandwidth total will be around 12.96 TB a month.( It might be wrong)

• Not constantly, there is a weird outburst to 40mbps-50mbps around midnight, once a week.

• libro22 said: Not constantly, there is a weird outburst to 40mbps-50mbps around midnight, once a week.

Could you share the information of allowed bandwidth and bandwidth graph?

• MassNodesMassNodes Member
    edited December 2014

@aggressivenetworks said:
    If you constantly push 40 Mbps then your monthly bandwidth total will be around 12.96 TB a month.( It might be wrong)

40Mbps / 8bits = 5MBps * 60sec * 60min * 24h * 30days = 12960000MB/month / 1024MB = 12656.25GB/month /1024MB = 12.3596TB/month

The math is close enough :p

Thanked by 1im_jmz
  • High bandwidth once a week sounds like a backup. They should not rate limit all of your traffic over that, just the ports involved in the burst.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited December 2014

lets limit a customer because they actually use 10TB a month as per the offer...

• So in conclusion, I'm not getting what was advertised. Bummer.

Oh well, I just paid my monthly dues and now I need to get away from them :(

Thanks for the input guys! Really helped me.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited December 2014

@libro22 said:
    So in conclusion, I'm not getting what was advertised. Bummer.

Oh well, I just paid my monthly dues and now I need to get away from them :(

Thanks for the input guys! Really helped me.

I'm really curious to know which provider it is, are you able to share this information? Publicly or in a PM?

[EDIT] Please not GVH, don't want any more drama.

• I prefer not to, I'm really sorry.

• What it sounds like they have 25 to 40 servers on a switch with a 1 Gbps uplink.

• If it is 40 Mb/s (megabit per second) then it's nothing for the gigabit link. If it is 40 MB (megabyte per second) then your VPS uses pretty much shared bandwidth.

• Are you sure it wasn't 40mpps (million packets per second)?

• Nope, 40Mbps.

Going offtopic for now, what's the best way to monitor bandwidth history usage? Non graphic interfaces is okay, I just need to start monitoring how much traffic I use and my average port speed.

• libro22 said: Going offtopic for now, what's the best way to monitor bandwidth history usage?

vnstat

https://linuxthefish.net/ss/Screenshot0657AM0857.png

Thanked by 1souen
  • exactly what I needed! thanks a bunch!

• If its 40mbps then its not an issue for 1gbps port but if its 40MBPS then its an issue of slow network speed on there whole node