Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian getting Forked. Here you have the new "Devuan Linux"
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian getting Forked. Here you have the new "Devuan Linux"

upfreakupfreak Member
edited December 2014 in General

People cant get along with systemd and decided to fork Debian..

Devuan Homepage : https://devuan.org/

Dear Init-Freedom lovers, the Veteran Unix Admin collective salutes you!
Our project is called "Devuan".
Devuan is spelled in Italian and it is pronounced just like "DevOne" in English.

More info : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/01/ttsystemdtt_row_ends_with_debian_getting_forked/

Which distribution do you support now?
  1. Debian as usual53 votes
    1. The new Devuan
      20.75%
    2. Moving to Ubuntu
      26.42%
    3. No pref yet, I need more time to evaluate
      52.83%

Comments

• Hmm another distro.

I still love Debian, will try it's twin this weekend ;)

• trexostrexos Member
    edited December 2014

I don't really get what the problem with systemd is. I skimmed the german and english wikipedia site and it just mentions that there is a boycott and refers to boycottsystemd.org for more information. But the site is down from here. Can somebody tell me whats the problem is with systemd?

• Certainly not easy to become as big as Debian but we will see what Devuan will become

• @trexos said:
    I don't really get what the problem with systemd is. I skimmed the german and english wikipedia site and it just mentions that there is a boycott and refers to boycottsystemd.org for more information. But the site is down from here. Can somebody tell me whats the problem is with systemd?

no problem though. the same thing applies to people that working hard on WINE to get Windows software run in Linux.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Why move to Ubuntu? They are planning to go to it.

Basically amounts to the fact some people don't like the one daemon to control them all philosophy.

• @trexos said:
    Can somebody tell me whats the problem is with systemd?

People hate change?

Thanked by 2rds100 vRozenSch00n
  • @wych said:
    People hate change?

and binary logs :)

Thanked by 2Amitz TheLinuxBug
  • systemd breaks what I would call the Unix philosophy - Have one tool doing it right instead of a monster that tries to do as much as possible. I love the idea of Devuan already!

Thanked by 2k0nsl ehab
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2014

Amitz said: Have one tool doing it right instead of a monster that tries to do as much as possible.

I even go further on that, have one VM doing one thing right (being tailored for it) Instead of a server doing all things and having downtime for the whole company when it breaks or some daemon runs amok causing huge loads or god knows what else. This also renders me almost immune to systemd, also, welcome to the great world of open source. Don't like something? You can make your own and share with other like-minded people!

• CentOS 7 is using systemd, right?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

trexos said: I don't really get what the problem with systemd is

I don't really get what the problem with init is.

And that's Linux for you - change for change's sake.

It's also crappy code.

• Devil Linux ^_^ . But still I will try it.

sparko said: Devil Linux

Heck, if you're going to run a Devil Linux, just go for the original.

Thanked by 1sparko
  • Actually I have moved to systemd and feel quite comfortable. At least it will be much easier to add own services into the system. Creating an init script is just painful, while creating a service file in systemd is not.

• will try this, we all got some idling vps right ;p

• @mycloud said:
    CentOS 7 is using systemd, right?

yep, thats what i seen last night.

I like/do the idea of customizing services and writing ini's. There is a reason why systemd is born!? if its valid then it'll prove it self.

• raindog308 said: It's also crappy code.

That's... pretty bad. My mind's made up. I already had enough with the default quiet mode it implements. I'd like feedback when restarting a service by default; I assume many others would too.

• If you don't like systemd just get rid of it
    http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

echo -e "Package: systemd\nPin: origin ""\nPin-Priority: -1" > /etc/apt/preferences.d/systemd
    on a lowendspirit vps before a dist-upgrade installed Jessie ok, no systemd on there.

Thanked by 1ehab

msg7086 said: Actually I have moved to systemd and feel quite comfortable. At least it will be much easier to add own services into the system. Creating an init script is just painful, while creating a service file in systemd is not.

I find the reverse to be true. Granted, it's not something I do often but editing Java-style config files is tedious, especially when

(a) there is no documentation provided on the system. Sure, there's a web page but WTF, why do I have to go to the web...we have man pages. I also find it silly that the author's blog is the first URL in the single-page "go look here". So very typical of the Linux community, which seems to hate documentation. I think Linux has decided on Google as its documentation format.

(b) why do I have to create two files (service definition, service script)? Also, they've decided the verbs you can use - start/stop/status, nothing more.

Linux has always left a bad taste in my mouth due to its hodge podge of stuff thrown together, splintering, amateurish code, amateurish documentation, love of non-free software, and goofy GNUisms. In that sense, systemd is no better or worse than lots of other crap in the typical Linux distro.

Other main reasons I think systemd is appalling...no, it's all been said many times before.

• another linux distro. just exactly what a linux world needs on its way to world domination

• Viva *BSD

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited December 2014

Lol guy, so troll "Moving to Ubuntu"

This fork is just a deb package and instruction how to remove systemd from Debian. Nothing changed.

This activity is just indicated that there are thinking people in Debian community. Nothing else.

• I'm sticking with Debian

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@vRozenSch00n said:
    Viva *BSD

Viva wide choices.
    I am always testing low footprint distros for low disk machines, I have quite a few low power VMs running from old USB keys and the choice is amazing for all purposes.
    BSD serves it's purpose and ZFS is great, but Linux also has it's share. Actually, you can have the best of both worlds with a BSD kernel and the userspace of linux or minimalist in all senses, just a stripped down linux kernel and only a few userspace binaries, who is really a master will make their own. A general purpose one is hard to build, Android is one example, but something for a specific task, is completely doable, I did it many times, 4 MB ram can still run linux (I think, didnt try in a while, but 2.4 kernels could for sure).

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Maounique said: but something for a specific task, is completely doable, I did it many times, 4 MB ram can still run linux (I think, didnt try in a while, but 2.4 kernels could for sure).

Just go back the time when the images was still in floppies :) install it from ram disk and yellow dog was king :P

• UpstageUpstage Member
    edited December 2014

Will Devuan also be owned by NSA? (c) Julian Assange :) :) :) :)

• There is something wrong with the poll.. The first option cant be selected... can someone fix that please

Of course, there's always http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n aglodek