Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need suggestion on the php source for public/private chat room
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need suggestion on the php source for public/private chat room

windytime90windytime90 Member
edited December 2014 in General

Dear,

I am thinking of creating a place for people who are not English native speakers practicing their English. I am not an English native speaker and I can see a great demand of English learners to speak/practice their English. The place I am about to create has some features below:

• Support multiple public chat rooms which are divided into several topic (game/fashion/car...)(text chat)
  • Support private chat if someone wants to make friend and chat with his/her friends.
  • Support voice/camera chat for chat room/private chat.
  • Support some advance features such as manager, moderator, voting, polling....

With the above specs, I would like to get some suggestion about the open source for the project because I don't want to reinvent the wheel. I think I had better create it based on some framework/open sources modified. The code should be PHP as well.

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thank so much. If anyone want to join the project, please PM me. :)

Comments

• windytime90windytime90 Member
    edited December 2014

A little bump up!

• so... IRC?

• Honestly for realtime applications like a chat server, php is the last language I would use. I know you said the code should be in PHP, but if I were you i'd go for a langauge that allows concurrency like golang or node.js and use websockets instead of polling like in php. There are tons of pre-made chat scripts out there that are written in php, so if you are going to stick with php i would recommend using one of them instead of reinventing the wheel again.

Thanked by 2comXyz windytime90
  • i dont know, i dont sense the needs...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@onegun said:
    i dont know, i dont sense the needs...
    @onegun said:
    i dont know, i dont sense the needs...

???

Wat

• Why PHP?

• It's interesting project, would like to see the beta soon ;)

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @ksubedi said:
    Honestly for realtime applications like a chat server, php is the last language I would use. I know you said the code should be in PHP, but if I were you i'd go for a langauge that allows concurrency like golang or node.js and use websockets instead of polling like in php. There are tons of pre-made chat scripts out there that are written in php, so if you are going to stick with php i would recommend using one of them instead of reinventing the wheel again.

Thankyou, I really appreciate your idea. I'll look at another option. I think node is a very good choice.

onegun said: i dont know, i dont sense the needs...

Sorry, I don't get your point?

c1bl said: It's interesting project, would like to see the beta soon ;)

Thank you so much! :D