Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Happy Cyber Monday - Changes to LowEndTalk - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Happy Cyber Monday - Changes to LowEndTalk

Comments

• Regarding shared hosting plans here: whenever there's such a service with a web interface and ftp only access, it's a pain in the ass.

I suggest to require these promotions to have SSH access. It's possible to do that and not have users destroy the server, and simple file operations are already a big improvement.

• Spirit said: Everything for traffic, even if this means mostly crap.

I think both of us need to accept the fact LET (and LEB) are not communities anymore (and haven't been for quite some time now). Business, that's all it is.

Even us dinosaurs will have to learn that eventually.

Thanked by 2vRozenSch00n Raymii
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2014

vRozenSch00n said: We still have @Mikho, @Raymii, @sleddog, @munzy, @PetaByet, and many other hobbyist, open source developer and professionals who contribute a lot to this community.

The fact that this forum is not as it was (read as commercial), doesn't mean that this forum is bad.

IMHO @mpkossen should involve more non-commercial (read as non-provider) hobbyist and open source developer to balance between commercial forum and community forum.

Thanks for the ping @vRozenSch00n

This forum isn't really bad. Nothing actually wrong with commercialization, it's a necessity for survival today.

But at the same time there has been a drastic shift of interest here. No longer is the general membership interested in innovation and learning. All they want is something cheap and easy. Regards to the technicalities of hosting websites, email or DNS there is a simple solution -- install Kloxo.

And the providers who frequent this board now do little or nothing to help the general membership. All they do is sell. Again, nothing wrong with that, but it certainly weakens the community.

Today, if I write some interesting new code, I won't post about it here because frankly no-one gives a shit :)

Cheers!

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited December 2014

sleddog said: But at the same time there has been a drastic shift of interest here. No longer is the general membership interested in innovation and learning. All they want is something cheap. Regards to the technicalities of hosting websites, email or DNS there is a simple solution -- install Kloxo.

And the providers who frequent this board now do little or nothing to help the general membership. All they do is sell. Again, nothing wrong with that, but it certainly weakens the community.

Whilst it was the providers at one time that were driving force they are now the reason for the boards decline in relation to where it once was.

The attraction for much of the visitors is cheap prices and to moan about the service from their $30 a year 2GB OVZ production box that had no backups when the server went poof and how could it be their fault...

Who really wants to learn what you can with a 32mb VPS when you can get a 2GB one a few bucks. Ok there will be a few but the incentive is long gone for those on a tight budget to squeeze every ounce of ram or other resource to make things work.

Shame? Yes, but nothing lasts forever, especially not good things.

• sleddog said: Today, if I write some interesting new code, I won't post about it here because frankly no-one gives a shit :)

Well, you can introduce it here and link it to your page. Of course I understand many of us code not just for money, but more for discussions to improve the code, share ideas etc.

I currently still use the official Kloxo and join the forum. If only I have time I will help them recode and recompile the code. Currently they are focusing on HyperVM to be used in Centos6 and integrating IPv6, so Kloxo development is a little bit behind.

I am also open to use other control panels such as webuzo, i-mscp (isCP Omega), vestacp, centos-webpanel, baifox, and now I'm preparing to play with interworx I got free from @MarkTurner.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

W1V_Lee said: when you can get a 2GB one a few bucks

You can get a dedi for that couple of Euros.
    The incentive is not there anymore, this is what I say for a long time, trying to do lots with little is the way of the economist, BUT, when you lose more time than it is worth the money, then you are not doing a lot with little, you are investing too much for a shaky result. You should not forget that a spike in visitors can always happen, for example, then having only 64 MB ram will not make it, and you could have had 20 times that with close to same money, that is a no-brainer.
    Trust me, I know what old and slow machines look like, but in the hosting arena, I can treat myself with more than I need, just to have a huge margin and place to throw an extra service/experiment/rdp when I need.
    As for the providers which are only interested to sell, Prometeus is not one of them. Actually, selling here these days is a hazard as many of you know. For me personally, I was always a hobbist first and I treat my current "job" as a hobby too, same does uncle, we are here for fun and try not to let abuse and police to ruin it, but the blanket statement that we are here to sell only, hurts me.

• W1V_Lee said: Who really wants to learn what you can with a 32mb VPS when you can get a 2GB one a few bucks.

I said nothing about lowend memory :)

I'm not bemoaning the loss of lowend servers, but rather the general dearth of innovation and learning. This used to be an engaging place where people talked about interesting stuff, now it's a dollar store.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Get rid of Offers section, there's LEB for that.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Its always a fine line to find the perfect server to get the job done.
    I for one is not willing to pay for a dedi with all the goodies like raid and good cpu for a website that on a regular basis do not have enough visitors to attract that many visitors.

I try to make my projects fail-safe.
    That it doesn't rely on just one server.
    Thats what I try to get out of this site.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Maounique - True it was a blanket statement and of course there are exceptions to that.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Spirit ,

Thank you for saying what I would get banned saying.

• Nice work you guys are really doing good work here keep it up

• Protip: You can hide categories here. Just hover over the Shared/reseller offers category and click the gear icon.

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Protip: You can hide categories here. Just hover over the Shared/reseller offers category and click the gear icon.

Good one, you should probably fish up that thread we were going to make a filter extension for LET on, as it's not as necessary now that I know that page exists :). Thanks!

• Spirit said: Just look what's happened with LOWENDBOX "community" (wait.. is there still any LEB community left at all?) in last years. But what do they know about that...

Well, LET might die as a community too, and if that's the case, the traffic will go down.

Too much profit kill profit. Too much ads kill ads..

Maounique said: you were even happy when I was unbanned when Chief sold out.

You're one of the best membes around here, @Maounique - who wouldn't be happy to see you unbanned?

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited December 2014

That was not always the case and I have a lot of enemies, I always say what I think and, even though I usually do it without calling names or insulting anyone, people still feel like replying disproportionately.

• LeeLee Veteran

Cock! ^^

Thanked by 2Nekki Mark_R
  • Sweet. Love the new adapt or even evolution.

• Maounique said: That was not always the case and I have a lot of enemies

I think all your "enemies" here have been banned or are long gone. Conclusion: Maounique is the real LET owner.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • vedran said: Maounique is the real LET owner.

Sounds cool - could we get invited to drink something in RO with the BSA cash flow? ;)

Here you dont need money to drink, well, not much anyway, a subway ticket (50 cents) can buy you 2 L of beer.
    There are expensive stuffs, but wine and beer are good quality and pretty cheap. 2.5 Eur buy you premium wine, 750 ml, not the top half of the premium range, though, of course.
    I do not drink at all, myself, but studied food and agriculture economics and worked in the restaurant industry, so I know stuff.
    Now back to owning this place well I knew one day the cat will be out of the bag, I tried everything even relinquished first, then second place in the quarterly top, expanded it to 10 hosts, but now that I added shared hosting after we launched our premium Biz hosting with dedicated IPs and guaranteed resources, it was bound to happen.
    I am glad I keep the mpkossen account separate though, on a different VM, so I did not make any serious blunder, but it was only a question of time :(

Thanked by 1ben78
  • Please change your signature to "Proudly owner of LET"

We, the people, legitimate you as our ruler.

Thanked by 1ben78
  • ben78ben78 Member
    edited December 2014

Darwin said: We, the people, legitimate you as our ruler.

You guy have a pretty nice nick, you might as well be part of the rulers...

Would mpkossen be a straw man?

Maounique said: Here you dont need money to drink.

I see that you want to keep the ads money for yourself and not invite me and @Darwin for a fresh juice drink ;) (well, or fresh water if you prefer, I don't mind)
    Just kidding, thanks for the information.

You probably told it already on this forum, but could you please remind the wage for factory/construction workers in romania?

Well, it depends, there are many specialties, but I would say around 200-300 Eur after taxes at least.

Thanked by 1ben78
  • Maounique said: Well, it depends, there are many specialties, but I would say around 200-300 Eur after taxes at least.

That's a hard life, considering the cost of living in EU :(

vRozenSch00n said: That's a hard life, considering the cost of living in EU :(

It is not easy, that is why many people go to work abroad and come home to retire, lately westerners come to retire here, especially from UK after prince Charles promoted Romania a lot over there.
    However, while life in the main cities is expensive, in the countryside with food assured, cheap housing and low taxes, it is way cheaper even for romanians, so, many retire there tot he recovered properties from the state. My father inherited a small 8 ha property near Bucharest and he goes there to do hobby agriculture and being bordered by a lake, fishing too. Unlike other places, even in the rivers near the capital you can still catch edible fish.

Thanked by 1ben78
  • Maounique said: My father inherited a small 8 ha property near Bucharest and he goes there to do hobby agriculture and being bordered by a lake, fishing too. Unlike other places, even in the rivers near the capital you can still catch edible fish.

Seems like a nice life in the countryside. 8ha means you can have a beautiful vineyard. If you have some time, please share some photo.

• @mpkossen it's simply that the plugin wasn't compatible anymore and was removed. If there's any alternative, I'd really be happy to have it installed ASAP.

Maybe try disqus with something like https://wordpress.org/plugins/disqus-comment-system/ ?

• @qrwteyrutiyoup said:
    Maybe try disqus with something like https://wordpress.org/plugins/disqus-comment-system/ ?

Dear god no.

Thanked by 2Mark_R Pwner
  • @wych said:
    Dear god no.

Yeah, I remember you always say something like that when someone mentions disqus, although I don't see how it could be worse than what we have now. Would you mind elaborate on your objection, since I don't really know a lot about disqus itself?

This discussion has been closed.