Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When your server is no longer up to it.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

When your server is no longer up to it.

So i have a question.
You have a dedicated server and one site. Your site is doing very well and growing up by the day. Traffic is increasing and you start to see high loads on your dedi server.

Question?
How can you escalate your website to several dedi servers?

Is it just easy to move to cloud hosting?

Comments

• Optimise your website and server config before changing server!

• DarwinDarwin Member
    edited November 2014

Your post is a lot vague.

Give us some numbers, page views/day, your current hardware, what you run (custom php, ror, word press),

do you use any kind of cache?

Can your content be cached or is it custom tailored to each visitor?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

What Darwin said.

basically, there are no 2 websides in need of same resources and no caching/optimization technique works the same for everything, it ranges from dramatic improvement to making things worse.

Thanked by 2Davidx netomx
  • @lossehelin said:

How can you escalate your website to several dedi servers?

>

I think you want to setup load balancing for your web servers? It's last option for you, except you're big company or providing web hosting service.

Just get a bigger dedi if you current dedi has high load most of the time.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited November 2014

Darwin said:

Your post is a lot vague.

Give us some numbers, page views/day, your current hardware, what you run (custom php, ror, word press),

do you use any kind of cache?

Can your content be cached or is it custom tailored to each visitor?

Also what sort of resource are you running out of. RAM, disk I/O, CPU power? You can then optimize it to trade a plentiful resource for a scarce one.

• frankfrank Member
    edited November 2014

@c1bl said:
    I think you want to setup load balancing for your web servers? It's last option for you

There are times where it should almost be the first option, but that's only if you have a site that is dealing with traffic around the world, then it makes sense to create p.o.p's around the world due to the other benefits to the user and search engines.

For any other time, just optimizing and getting a bigger machine should be what you do.

• @frank I think dealing with traffic around the world is feature of CDN. It doesn't make sense if you setup load balancing for that.

• yes it was a bit vague. It is basically when you get a lot of hits and database accesses all the time.
    I have this one server with just one site that has been growing up exponentially and i started to get errors with too many mysql connections and too many files open, but if i change these values my load will escalate to ridiculous numbers! But the site has no income tto let me afford a better dedi.. hehe so i guess i need to optimize it then

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Do you use SSD? Perhaps offload the mysql part to another VPS/dedi, try to get one with low latency.

• lossehelin said:

yes it was a bit vague. It is basically when you get a lot of hits and database accesses all the time. I have this one server with just one site that has been growing up exponentially and i started to get errors with too many mysql connections and too many files open, but if i change these values my load will escalate to ridiculous numbers! But the site has no income tto let me afford a better dedi.. hehe so i guess i need to optimize it then

Run mysqltuner.pl. It'll tell you how you can optimize mysql. You'll want to research what it spits out before you apply it, though.

Apart from that you will want to cache dynamic pages where ever you can. If you are using apache you can add varnish in front as a caching reverse proxy. Or ditch apache, switch to nginx as the web server and use the fastcgi_cache option.

• I've managed to run pretty traffic-heavy sites on 1gb Ram VPS with SSD, no issues although I did make a reverse-proxy cache/cdn system that used VPS' around the globe to deliver static content like images and css, javascript to the user from the nearest server and that managed to balance it out pretty well

• Hey doc I feel sick.

Where does it hurts?

Nah, just throw me some medicine.

• too many files open

If you changed the open file limit in MySQL, make sure you do it at the OS level too.

• yeah, some specifics will help. you give general questions then you will get general answers too.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2014

Make sure that your visitors are real and not just a bot like SEO Spy Bot,etc.

Ban bad bots to access your website then check your visitor statics, One of my Blog was using 5GB bandwidth per month and pagerank was 0 so when I check my visitors logs then I find that most of are bots and now my blog bw usage is 900MB/m

• TransNOCTransNOC Member
    edited December 2014

I would recommend searching to see if your site's CMS has any caching options, and look into CloudFlare.

• If you use WP you can try this https://github.com/CloudSites/WPRedis

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited December 2014

@ OP If you do not know what you are doing go hire a sysadmin and find a developer to optimize your scripts

(it depend on dedi server) On on my virualized E5 1650 64 GB RAM & HDD I have 1 KVM Virtual machine that use all resources ( I use virtualization for easy snapshot backups and easy upgrades to another server in the future) so inside KVM I host a client with up to 250 000 daily unique visitors and 300k+ page views and 6000 online on one minutes counter (classifieds site script + WP news site) + another WP news site with 102k unique at same day ... and several smaller customers .... cPanel + LiteSpeed

• lossehelinlossehelin Member
    edited December 2014

OP If you do not know what you are doing go hire a sysadmin and find a developer to optimize your scripts>

i love answers like this....
    the purpose is to learn and share knowledge in ways we can, answers like that are not welcome. At least on my point of view.
    ANyone else thanks for your answers

Btw, any list around with bad bots?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@lossehelin said:
    Btw, any list around with bad bots?

Read @Darwin 's reply several times until you get what he says

Thanked by 1coolice
  • are you using Nginx or Apache?

• im using nginx. Actually i have configured coudflare which seems to be working great.

• @lossehelin I write what Darwin and netomx says

you don't post your site and your conf files so we must throw bones or use animal liver (like romans) and by reading bones and liver tell you what is wrong with your setup...

I told you almost zero config (install by manual 3 command at most for clanel and 1 for lite speed installer script - I only enable cache on LiteSpeed and do some protection setup) solution which handles the exact amount of online visitors one exact specs of type of sites and exact specs on a dedi server...

ps Here is another answer by me on same type of question - but with more data related to case - nginx and iowait

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/811571/#Comment_811571

• OP as the fish said .. first make sure you are using your current hardware to the utmost potential before looking for replacements ..
    there is no use having a 16gb ram server when all you ever max out at is 8gb
    feel me ?

Thanked by 1Maounique