Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centos 6 on 1.99e kidéchire
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centos 6 on 1.99e kidéchire

Is it possible to install Centos 6 / 6.5 on online.net 1.99 euro servers?
Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Sure, you can install it but performance depends on what you run on it.

• There would might be a way to create template something similar like joodle's windows templates but not sure, give it a try : joodle.nl

Thanked by 1qwerty11
  • Yes, make a centos 6 kvm in virtualbox / proxmox and then use joodles guide to install it. Otherwise if it's an option in the installation section then do it that way.

• umm, joodle should create a img with ghost and let us put own gho file

• dexterxdexterx Member
    edited November 2014

I well run centminmod with 3 wordpress blogs. Not high traffic.

There is no option in the control panel for 6 or 6.5. Only Centos 7

So if I understand correctly I have to install Proxmox and create a vz container with the same specs as the dedicated server 160gb/2gb. and then export it and then import into recovery mode

@sc754: I saw centos2.gz posted by you some time ago. Do you happen to have that file?

• Can be centos 7 downgraded to 6.5?

Thanked by 1qwerty11
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Can't you all just go and use Debian.

What is wrong with CentOS 7, than you need 6 so much?

• rm_ said: What is wrong with CentOS 7

systemd?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • joodle.nl Windows produced series are good. In making a centos6 enough.

• dexterxdexterx Member
    edited November 2014

@rm_ : Centos 7 is not stable enough and does not have all the repos nedded. I already tried to install but failure after failure.

Now I am trying to install proxmox...

• Move to debian, and problem solved.

• Online.net don't want 'Dedibox Kidéchire' as web server. Just for desktop and or backup server purpose. That why no option for CentOS 6. Right?.

• @mustafaramadhan said:
    Online.net don't want 'Dedibox Kidéchire' as web server. Just for desktop and or backup server purpose. That why no option for CentOS 6. Right?.

Debian is not server?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @mustafaramadhan said:
    Online.net don't want 'Dedibox Kidéchire' as web server. Just for desktop and or backup server purpose. That why no option for CentOS 6. Right?.

Seems so.

• I just got my way through centminmod and runs perfectly on centos 6.5 and I really like it. Its perfect for me.

It takes some time to get used to another operating system. t just like somebody would say to a debian user to just use centos.

• I don't know why you keep mentioning centos 6.5, but it's an old version. centos 6.6 is the current centos 6 version.

• There you go:

http://dl.fs5.co.uk/Centos6.6.gz

Default root password is Password561

Enjoy

• 6.6 its perfect for me also.

So do I have to create a KVM or VZ in proxmox?

What configuration I have to user when creating the container?

• @sc754 : Thank you very much for your help

• In fact, online.net only have 6.5 dan 7.0 for CentOS OS. Upgrade from 6.5 to 6.6 enough with 'yum clean all; yum update'.

• When you love a girl, in your eyes she is perfect.

Not you're in love with CentOS. But I'm in love with Debian :P

• I use both, Centos & Debian but prefer Debian. Have installed Debian 7 & Virtualmin on my kidéchire server. Wordpress works fine. I've set up a test at http://onefor.me.uk that is also IPV6 ready. Really pleased with my little dedi server :)

Thanked by 1comXyz
  • vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2014

Debian is also a powerful Linux distro you can play around with http://wiki.debian.org/Debootstrap to upgrade and downgrade.

I haven't found a Centos distro that can do that.

Heh heh heh I learned it from @RyanArp & @Jar

Thanked by 2rm_ comXyz
  • aFriendaFriend Member
    edited November 2014

Its confusing why the previous 1.99e kidéchire from few weeks ago had the option of CentOS 6.x but the 1.99e kidéchire from 2 days ago do not have that option. Its the same box and I dont know why they dont add option of centos 6.x on these boxes too.

I am going to contact support from my panel. maybe if they hear from multiple folks, they might review - maybe this was an oversight.

• Unfortunately I can't make it work :(. I tried several times.

Could you tell me if I am doing something wrong?

1. I boot into Rescue mode from the online.net control panel (Ubuntu 14.04 amd64)

2. Login to to ssh with the details provided on the Rescue page

3. issue the commands:

sudo su

wget -O- 'http://dl.fs5.co.uk/Centos6.6.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

4. When it finishes from the online.net control panel I reboot in normal mode.

Also tried rebooting the server from control panel

Unfortunately no ssh and no ping to server

Any adea what I am doing wrong?

• socialssocials Member
    edited November 2014
    • Install Centos 6 in VirtualBox
    • After installing, get the disk image
    • Upload it to a spare VPS and mount it as a loop device
    • Boot your destination server (in this case, your Online.net server) to rescue mode (or gparted/something similar)
    • Create partitions, filesystems on the hard disk
    • Mount the root partition
    • rsync everything from the loop device mounted on the spare VPS to your Online.net server's previously created root partition
    • Edit fstab, add the correct UUID of the previously generated root partition
    • Edit grub configuration, add the correct UUID
    • Remove 70-persistent-net.rules so network interfaces get autodiscovered
    • Edit ifcfg-eth0, add correct networking information
    • Reinstall grub
    • Exit rescue mode, boot to the hard drive
    • Regenerate ssh keys
    • Enjoy

Works great. I've used these steps to get Centos 6 on KVM VPSs with 128/256MB RAM, since anaconda (installer) doesn't run if there's less than 378MB RAM of available.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @sc754 I would like to thank you one more time. It is working perfectly.

• socials said: Edit ifcfg-eth0, add correct networking information

which would be DHCP..

• @SpeedBus Yes it does. Kickstart too!

Thanked by 1SpeedBus