Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best way to do offsite Cpanel Backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best way to do offsite Cpanel Backup

I am trying to retain two weekly and one monthly backup of accounts on my cpanel server (approx. 100GB).

Previously was using the cpanel compressed backup option and send it to a remote backup server via FTP. This however uses a lot of bandwidth.

Then I shifted to cpanel incremental backups, after which it is rsynced to the remote server. Now, this uses a lot of diskspace.

Is it possible to do a compressed backup on the main server and have it rsynced to the remote server with only the changed files transferred? Or am I left with no choice but to choose between saving space or bandwidth?

Comments

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

I use Webuzo panel with xCloner plugin to backup site on Amazon S3

xCloner has a lot of features, cron jobs, you can exclude certain files, or only backup new files, delete old backups...

Amazon S3 service has an option it self called object expiration which you can use to automatically delete files older than a certain limit

• Not sure about only transferring new files,

But what i'm planning to implement on our servers is to do that all through own made scripts & running those in cron jobs.

• @Drukpa said:

I'm pretty sure there's an option in the rsync command line which lets you check the files at the remote location and only updates what has been modified

• If you have root access, you can probably use the incremental backup option offered by CDP.me

• @PetaByet said:
    If you have root access, you can probably use the incremental backup option offered by CDP.me

I read about it, looks quite nice, but I haven't used it yet. Is it to be installed on the main server or the backup server or both? I don't want to be installing anything on the main cpanel server, have a feeling cpanel stuff might get messed up.

• @nitro85 said:
    I use Webuzo panel with xCloner plugin to backup site on Amazon S3

xCloner has a lot of features, cron jobs, you can exclude certain files, or only backup new files, delete old backups...

Amazon S3 service has an option it self called object expiration which you can use to automatically delete files older than a certain limit

Just don't want to use S3 or any other plugin.

@sc754 said:

What am planning to do is do a compressed backup on the main server (which saves accounts as individual tar.gz files) and then rsync it to the backup server. But I guess even a small change in a access log file in a user account would change the hash of the resulting tar.gz file, and rsync would send it thinking the file has changed. That way, its gonna send all files every time, which uses a lot of bandwidth.

Is rsync able to check a compressed file and see what's changed inside it, and only send the update files?

• Just backup everything to an ftp. It's all cheap these days...

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Cpanel supports FTP SFTP AMAZON S3 through their current backup script. Why not just get a cheap storage vps and backup there.

• @Drukpa said:
    Is rsync able to check a compressed file and see what's changed inside it, and only send the update files?

Did you try compressing the transfer?

IE

-z or --compress

With this option, rsync compresses the file data as it is sent to the destination machine, which reduces the amount of data being transmitted -- something that is useful over a slow connection.

Note that this option typically achieves better compression ratios than can be achieved by using a compressing remote shell or a compressing transport because it takes advantage of the implicit information in the matching data blocks that are not explicitly sent over the connection.

However, it's worth noting that some file types will not be compressed during transfer. The default list of file extensions that will not be compressed is: gz zip z rpm deb iso bz2 tbz tgz 7z mp3 mp4 mov avi ogg jpg jpeg

Thanked by 1Drukpa
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@PetaByet said:
    If you have root access, you can probably use the incremental backup option offered by CDP.me

What's the process to get the files restored?? Is there any cPanel User interface like cPremote has ??

• @Drukpa said:
    I read about it, looks quite nice, but I haven't used it yet. Is it to be installed on the main server or the backup server or both? I don't want to be installing anything on the main cpanel server, have a feeling cpanel stuff might get messed up.

It is to be installed on the backup server only.

@Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    What's the process to get the files restored?? Is there any cPanel User interface like cPremote has ??

cPanel's API doesn't support full backup restores yet, so the script cannot restore cPanel backups automatically, but you can download the backup and restore it manually.

If you have root access to the cPanel server I suggest you to use the file and mysql backup functions, both of these offer one-click restore.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

@PetaByet said:
    If you have root access to the cPanel server I suggest you to use the file and mysql backup functions, both of these offer one-click restore.

I've Root Access but I didn't understand which Backup system you're talking about. The internal incremental backup system or from your Backup System ??

• @Mahfuz_SS_EHL said:
    I've Root Access but I didn't understand which Backup system you're talking about. The internal incremental backup system or from your Backup System ??

Depending on the one you prefer.