Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC - What? Why? How?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC - What? Why? How?

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited July 2012 in Help

OK, so I grow up with ICQ and then MSN and these days...Facebook

I have used Telnet and BBS before but it was not until I came to LEB that I get to know there is such thing called IRC

Why do people use IRC and if I want to get myself there, what should I set myself up with? Do I need my private channel? Do I need my private bouncer? How about bots?

Comments

• Damn boy, you should be cursed for eternal life!!
    Why?
    A: you must be like me. you were wearing diapers while dialing-up to BBS.
    You then went to elementary school and had your first date on ICQ
    Yow grow up to find the magic of MSN and Hotmail (10 mb mailbox) and ended up marrying with that pretty girl you met on Facebook and yet YOU DONT KNOW IRC??!??!?!?

:)

• @teknixpt said: you must be like me. you were wearing diapers while dialing-up to BBS.

You then went to elementary school and had your first date on ICQ
    Yow grow up to find the magic of MSN and Hotmail (10 mb mailbox) and ended up marrying with that pretty girl you met on Facebook and yet YOU DONT KNOW IRC??!??!?!?

LOL, I can't stop laughing when I read it...so funny :)

• IRC is just a chat protocol. You don't need a bouncer, you can just join a server and chat in chatrooms (channels).

• and i assume there is some text-based client running on LEBs? any recommendations to IRC noob?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@zhuanyi said: Why do people use IRC

We love it in the 90's

@zhuanyi said: is some text-based client

irssi

@zhuanyi said: recommendations to IRC noob?

mIRC or xchat

• irssi for text-based. Pidgin/mIRC/Chatzilla/xchat for GUIs. I'd go with GUIs for IRC noobs.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I remember beeing 8 years old, chatting on the LAN network in my town... Remembering gives me the urge to join some IRC channels even now, any suggestions? xD

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@zhuanyi said: any recommendations to IRC noob

Nettalk. Extremely newbie-friendly.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2012

@zhuanyi

IRC is not one homogeneous place but plenty independend, non connected networks regarding interests with different specifics and policies. Some of the biggest and oldest public IRC networks are:

+thousands smaller http://irc.netsplit.de/networks/top100.php

More about IRC (some things are very outdated, but still..) http://www.irchelp.org/

You can find us at Freenode network, channel #lowendbox

You will notice that people suggest you their favourite IRC clients. It's really a lot of them and many of them are comfortable, easy to use. Most popular and widely used IRC client of last 15 years is for sure mIRC, while from text based clients majority mostly prefer Irssi. Basic IRCd (irc server) commands are everywhere the same disregarding IRC client you use http://www.ircbeginner.com/ircinfo/ircc-commands.html

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Depending on your interest, irc.abjects.org is also a nice server.

On most servers you can do "/list" to see a list of all avaible channels and then join the ones that interest you.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2012

Useful command however I suggest you not to do /list on BIGGEST IRC networks ;-)

• @Spirit said: You can find us at Freenode network, channel #lowendbox

Will be there as soon as I get off work, thanks for the info :)

• just to clarify, so the purpose of bouncer is to keep me online even if I am actually offline? What's the point of doing so?

• this reminded me of some stupid "feature" that Mirc client had back in the old days.. remember the squeek sound when you clicked the authors nose?

!(http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXHayx-8qfPBwfyH_rSsoD2xl8WJkxeyjABrfg1YYEdNdTe1eQ8e3PTz0I)

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • @zhuanyi said: What's the point of doing so?

Well IRC is mostly used by nerds and nerds like to stay always online :P

The bouncer will keep a log of everything that gets posted in your channels and plays it back to you when you connect. Another purpose was to keep Admin (Op rights) because they were lost upon disconnecting back in the day.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2012

@zhuanyi said: just to clarify, so the purpose of bouncer is to keep me online even if I am actually offline? What's the point of doing so?

It keeps your nick online (some IRC networks don't have nickserv, nicks aren't owned), save your channel operator status (some IRC networks don't have chanserv, channels aren't owned) it save private messages from your friends while you're offline, hide your local IP from curious people (some IRC networks don't hide your IP), with more people from same local IP (family, school mates, channel bots) you don't hit "too many connections" limit, etc..

• @Spirit said: It keeps your nick online (some IRC networks don't have nickserv, nicks aren't owned), save your channel operator status (some IRC networks don't have chanserv, channels aren't owned) it save private messages from your friends while you're offline, hide your local IP from curious people (some IRC networks don't hide your IP), you don't get "too many connections" limit because same IP shared by other people/family/channel bot, etc..

So basically if my bouncer goes offline, I would lose my nickname and private messages? And it acts like a private proxy for my IRC client as well?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2012
    • No. Logs of private messages are stored in your bouncer / at your server. It's not like you will have plenty private messages when you're offline as people at IRC mostly idle and/or talk on channel (public chat).
    • private proxy for your IRC client: yes
    • Nickname... you can always re-join and take "zhuanyi_" or something in case "zhuanyi" is taken by some other in meantime:)

Bouncer don't make some drastic difference nowaday. It's just more convenient for some IRC "regulars".. Back in times when we used dial-up, when IRC was more abused, etc.. bouncer made things easier. Nowaday most IRC networks (except oldest two) support nick registration, hide IP, etc.. and we have stable 24/7 broadband local connections anyway.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited July 2012

Nature of IRC is much different than nature of other p2p chat protocols like MSN, ICQ, skype, etc.. The beauty of IRC is in less formal behaviour where you're not forced to sit behind pc and answer promptly when you talk with someone.
    I have IRC open in background 24/7 around 15 years however this doesn't mean that I am some big chatter. I say something here and there on channel, and then I am back to doing other things. Private conversations are very rare and they don't demand my full dedication. At IRC no one's waiting for reply unless you're in private conversation which are often limited to few short lines which don't require formal "goodbye" as we're all just idlers.
    When I use MSN I need to sit here and actually talk. Person at other side expect reply. And this demand my time, my dedication. Sometimes I really hate this... while wiith IRC is much more "on easy". You see someone posted something interesting on channel? Just comment that and then go back to watching movie or something..

• yomeroyomero Member

@teknixpt said: 10 mb mailbox

What???
    I had 2MB kid ¬_¬
    And 6MB at yahoo (or 3??)