Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use your LEBs for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use your LEBs for?

dantesdantes Member
edited July 2012 in General

I'm hosting my websites on normal Linodes and Dedi servers.

I'm new to the whole LEB thing, and I can't stop reading this forum since I accidentally discovered it. I get really excited by geeky stuff and all this efficiency thing :)

Anyhoo, I don't know what interesting stuff I can do with LEBs. So I'm gathering ideas :)

I've seen a thread where people were bragging about the amount of LEBs that they own. In this thread it's time to brag about what stuff you do with your LEBs :)

Anyway people, inspire me!!!

-Salute :)

Thanked by 1Amfy

Comments

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited July 2012

Another "Where do you use your LEB for" thread...

• @joodle said: Another "Where do you use your LEB for" thread...

He's new, don't be an ass.

Welcome to LowEndTalk :)

I think one of the most popular uses is VPN/Proxy.

Thanked by 3Amfy [Deleted User] Taz
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2012

Also dns, backup, redundancy, and precisely what you use your Linode for. Spend a little time here and you'll soon find yourself running more efficient websites on a faster line than Linode gives you, and you'll cut your bills into a fraction of what they are.

Welcome, hope to see you around more.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • AndriAndri Member
    edited July 2012

Welcome to LET.

I use my LEBs for Web Server, Proxy/VPN, Database Server, and DNS Server. :)

@jarland said: cut your bills into a fraction

And this is why I came here. :D

• IsaiahIsaiah Member

Welcome aboard, @dantes

Well, nothing fancy. I'm using my LEBs as dns servers, backup servers, compiling programming codes etc. But hosting websites for the most.

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

Welcome to LET!

Ok lets do this :)

4x are used for DNS Servers
    1x is used for a Database Server
    2x are used for VPN Server (these servers also serve additional functions such as ventrilo hosting, mumble hosting, etc.)
    2x are used for a web server
    1x is used as a backup server
    1x is for my IRC Bouncer (ZNC)
    2x are used for my Remote Desktop (one linux, the other Windows)
    1x is my OwnCloud server
    2x are my development boxes (I'm a horrible/crappy coder)
    1x is for monitoring other servers (munin)
    4x are just sitting there doing nothing at the moment (one of them being @Damian 's 32mb server)

Yup. Talk about spending a ton of money :P but some of those I got for free.
    Most of them I got through a sale or a coupon.

The average payment I am doing is 3 dollars a month (obviously there are outliers such as CVPS 2GB $7 plans and $12/year 128mb plans)

• @HalfEatenPie said: 4x are just sitting there doing nothing at the moment (one of them being @Damian 's 32mb server)

That box of damian is just great for ZNC bouncer. I have it with debian 6 IIRC, and compiled the latest ZNC version (with multi server support from GIT). Need a link? Let me know (for the .deb)

• @djvdorp said: That box of damian is just great for ZNC bouncer. I have it with debian 6 IIRC, and compiled the latest ZNC version (with multi server support from GIT). Need a link? Let me know (for the .deb)

Hot damn you're using it for a ZNC bouncer?! Why didn't I think of that! I've been using a @Prometeus 128mb KVM for that!

• @halfeatenpie haha yeah it uses only 8mb total. 128Mb kvm is a waste just for znc! And damians new dc allows irc

• @djvdorp: I. Love. You. In. A. Totally. Non. Male-to-Male. Attractive. Way.

• @djvdorp: You're a god amongst men

• @halfeatenpie you are too kind sir :$

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

A very basic one using cPanel DNS Only (yeah... I know)

Two of my DNS servers though use a decent-capacity VPS while the other two use LEBs.

• CommittingCommitting Member
    edited July 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: 4x are used for DNS Servers

1x is used for a Database Server
    2x are used for VPN Server (these servers also serve additional functions such as ventrilo hosting, mumble hosting, etc.)
    2x are used for a web server
    1x is used as a backup server
    1x is for my IRC Bouncer (ZNC)
    2x are used for my Remote Desktop (one linux, the other Windows)
    1x is my OwnCloud server
    2x are my development boxes (I'm a horrible/crappy coder)
    4x are just sitting there doing nothing at the moment (one of them being @Damian 's 32mb server)

Is this for personal use? Or rather, from a rookie stand point, how are all this interconnected, purpose, etc.

• TaylorTaylor Member

I have 3 paid at the minute.

1x SeedBox or a CDN :P
    1x Webserver
    1x 32Mb idling :P

1free box that is being used as a dev server.

• pcanpcan Member

Hi dantes,
    I use most of my low end boxes for the usual boring applications (web server, proxy, vpn, email mx backup). A bunch of LEBs cost less than the dedicated server I used previously. One OVZ LEB is hosting my entire CD collection in Mp3 192Kbps format with squeezecenter, this way I can stream my music on any device with internet connectivity. Another KVM LEB is a Windows desktop for quick document editing/exchanging trough the Windows built-in remote desktop connection application; sometimes is more useful than a USB stick.

• AsadAsad Member

I made a spreadsheet a while ago to keep a track of all the servers, then I got a bunch more and forgot to add them so I gave up. Planning to make an online script, I'll share it when I get round to finishing it.

• @Committing said: Is this for personal use? Or rather, from a rookie stand point, how are all this interconnected, purpose, etc.

Some personal some commercial.

Basically, they're connected in a way that the Web Servers talk with the DNS server and the MySQL server only accepts connections from the Web Servers etc. The MySQL server isn't that well set up so I'm planning on fiddling with that a bit more but you get the picture.

Thanked by 1Committing
  • My current use :

Prometeus :

• 1 x 256 KVM : for private chat server
    • 1 x 256 OpenVZ : for running my blog with Minstall
    • 1 x 512 OpenVZ : idle

RamNode :
    1 x 256 OpenVZ : for running lebstats.com with Lighttpd

Edis :
    1 x 256 vServer Iceland : for running Munin Server

SonicVPS :
    1 x 512 KVM : for running my FB Game online :D

Another vps just idle :
    1 x 512 XEN Providerservice
    1 x 128 KVM Pyramidserver
    1 x 128 OVH
    1 x 128 Host1free

• I just remembered another VPS I have. Basically I'll be updating the list as I go if I remember/forget.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

2x seed boxes
    5x private proxies for various friends/family members across the world
    1x Minecraft server
    1x web server serving up 7 static sites