Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Installing MBR to /dev/md0 ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Installing MBR to /dev/md0 ?

Is this OK? First time it failed to boot when I set /boot to 1000mb, but I've changed it to 500mb. Will CentOS boot ok like this?

Comments

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

/dev/md0 is a partition, you need to install grub into MBR. Centos installer can install for one drive, and after when you boot your system, you need to install grub into the other devices MBR.

• If you're doing SW Raid, it's better to install the bootloader on the RAID Device not on one of the Drives (SDB, or SDA)

It should boot either way still..

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR
    edited November 2014

As fas as I know, you should install to sdb. Bootloader is on /boot, that may be a separate raid or direct on the RAID Device.

• It's strange that MBR of /dev/sda isn't listed as an option. Is this a RAID0?

• Install bootloader to /dev/sdb as md0 is just a softraid partition.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited November 2014

@nexmark said:
    If you're doing SW Raid, it's better to install the bootloader on the RAID Device not on one of the Drives (SDB, or SDA)

You should be installing to all physical drives, not the RAID device.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited November 2014

Microlinux said: You should be installing to all physical drives, not the RAID device.

Won't installing MBR to /dev/md0 (mounted as /boot) ensure that the OS can still boot after a disk failure? Sorry I'm new to this stuff with software RAID and mdadm - i normally use hw raid...

• @Microlinux said:

Md0 is a mirror of however many drives you have. So its already synced across all drives

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited November 2014

nexmark said: Md0 is a mirror of however many drives you have. So its already synced across all drives

Except md0 applied to partitions, which generally start at LBA 1 (or 5 or 9 or wherever the fuck OS decides is a good spot), whereas the boot loader resides on LBA 0.