Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a beast - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a beast

2»

Comments

• Mark_R said: customers assume a higher value is better when it comes to speed. when we calculate in Gb a higher value will be actually alot lower compared to GB/s value.. customers only care about what GB/s they get and dont wanna hear about Gb/s because they would have to learn the difference between them first in order to determine whats better. Feeding them with Gb/s values instead of GB/s values is a scam in my opinion.

OK.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited November 2014

@Mark_R said:
    Feeding them with Gb/s values instead of GB/s values is a scam in my opinion.

If you don't understand something, that doesn't make it a scam. Network speed is not measured in GB. You may personally want it to be, but that's not how the world currently works. If you'd like to change that, start with every network vendor on the face of the earth.

Thanked by 1sleddog
  • MSPNick said: What SSD storage you looking for?

Maybe 200GB

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited November 2014

Microlinux said: Network speed is not measured in GB. You may personally want it to be, but that's not how the world currently works. If you'd like to change that, start with every network vendor on the face of the earth.

A real problem (IMO) is the misuse of the term bandwidth.

Bandwidth is speed, specifically maximum speed, e.g. 100 mbps or 1 gbps.

But most providers misuse the term bandwidth to mean transfer per month.

e.g. Vultr (for their entry-level plan) advertises 1000GB bandwidth. They mean data transfer per month. They don't offer 8,000 gbps port speed!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2014

sleddog said: A real problem (IMO) is the misuse of the term bandwidth.

That is true, we do not properly say: Traffic amount 3 TB on a 1 Gbps shared port which would describe the network side more clearly. Guilty as charged.
    That being said, I cant fallow Mark_R, even tho i tried. I genuinely do not understand what he means.