Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sharing OVH Space
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sharing OVH Space

camjac251camjac251 Member
edited November 2014 in Requests

I might be getting the SP-64 with SSDs from OVH but will only need to use a quarter of the server and the rest would just go unused so...
I'd be interested to find out if anyone would like to share one with me. I would use my half for a few game servers, a radio station (through cloudflare so the bandwidth usage would be half), and a few nginx sites. That's pretty much it.

Let me know if you would be interested in sharing this box or if you have a box to share of your own. Specs would be

• Intel Xeon E5-1620v2
  • 64GB RAM
  • Full SSD SoftRAID 3 x 160 GB SSD Intel DC S3500
  • 1 Gbps Port
  • up to 256 IPs without monthly charges (each paid once, not monthly)
  • Canada BHS, good ping to US

I'm thinking I might setup Proxmox and setup KVM vpses. So you'd be getting a KVM VPS with guaranteed resources.

Comments

• Why don't you just get a 16GB RAM server then?

• @PetaByet said:
    Why don't you just get a 16GB RAM server then?

From where? SYS? I was just thinking that a quality E5 processor would be better than a W3520 or E3 1225v2 from Soyoustart at half the price with a setup fee

• You can get an E3 for ~$50 from providers such as WSI or Dual X5650 + 42GB here, all within LET price ranges. Both CPU can outperform a quarter of E5-1620v2, and you will be able to use 100% of the box.

• @PetaByet said:
    You can get an E3 for ~$50 from providers such as WSI or Dual X5650 + 42GB here, all within LET price ranges. Both CPU can outperform a quarter of E5-1620v2, and you will be able to use 100% of the box.

"VolumeDrive facility"... Yeah I dont know about that, I'd rather have a server in a great datacenter that costs a little more than a cheap server with horrible speeds.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2014

If you think an E3-1225 v2 isn't enough, you should look at SYS's E3-SSD-3. That has an E3-1245 v2, which is only marginally slower than the E5-1620 v2. And it's half the cost of the SP-64.

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited November 2014

@camjac251 said:

The sad part is OVH can be as bad (or worse) than VolumeDrive, just worse on a larger scale.

• @GoodHosting said:
    The sad part is OVH can be as bad (or worse) than VolumeDrive, just worse on a larger scale.

How do you figure?

• Just a single VPS? You might aswell buy from Soyoustart

• @camjac251 said:

We had one of our locations with them for some time, and it was horrid.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited November 2014

@GoodHosting said:

That is not true, OVH is very reliable when it comes to hardware or emergency support. If you're looking for 10 minute response time for general queries than I am afraid you're not being realistic here as they spend less on staff to give you better hardware for less prices.

That is from my 3+ years with them however it is possible that they didn't live upto your expectations. And yes my opinion is related to OVH, not SYS/KS.

Thanked by 2MCHPhil Riz
  • @K2Bytes said:
    That is from my 3+ years with them however it is possible that they didn't live upto your expectations. And yes my opinion is related to OVH, not SYS/KS.

Odd, my experience with OVH (ca) is much worse, from having a very outdated HDD in our system when it was delivered (which they refused to replace until it was showing signs of failure in SMART (only a week after delivery...) Let alone the staff not being very knowledgeable of their own system and infrastructure.

The excuse is always "The panel/website/insert feature here is coded by our team back in Montreal, and I do not know about X/Y/Z." A lot of the panel is badly translated (again, due to the French development) which leads to some confusion, especially when the support member sees different terminology than the client does; simply due to mis-translations. "Modify the reverse" is the most obvious example that you'll come across in the latest iteration of the panel.

And don't even get me started about the "Monitoring" system, even if you install the agent and such from their "new" system, it's really just an excuse to tear down your dedicated servers every time they miss an internal ping.

Oh yeah, and the part where our website/servers were under attack from other OVH services, with proof (tcpdumps etc, carrier reports, abuse records forwarded to OVH staff, etc); they refused to do anything about it, and even with the IP under permanent mitigation with firewall rules to block UDP, the traffic was still getting through.

We had numerous issues.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited November 2014

@GoodHosting said:
    We had numerous issues.

Well I've not had any experience dealing with OVH(CA) support directly as all the servers (including those in BHS) that have been ordered from one of their EU subsidiaries so my experience is based on dealing with that particular subsidiary's support only but @MCHPhil has been an OVH CA customer for quite some time so may be he can give us more detail about his experience of dealing with their support because according to what you've said OVH CA support seems absolutely crap.

• @K2Bytes said:

In their defense, the solutions were simple enough:

• Don't use that undocumented feature
    • Turn off their Monitoring system

etc, simply "don't use it if it doesn't work". I just expected them to work.

• @K2Bytes said:
    Well I've not had any experience with dealing OVH(CA) support directly as all the servers (including those in BHS) that have been ordered from one of their EU subsidiaries so my experience is based on dealing with that particular subsidiary's support only but MCHPhil has been an OVH CA customer for quite some time so may be he can give us more detail about his experience of dealing with their support because according to what you've said OVH CA support seems absolutely crap.

I've not experienced those sort of issues.

Thanked by 2Shoaib_A gestiondbi
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

OVH (and subsidiaries) are good for personal, not suitable for business from everything I have seen.

Expect 2-3 day ticket responses (even with professional use) for urgent issues, some times even a month (we have an IP stuck in an API state still pending with many delay apologies but no resolve for weeks).

You would probably be better off with multiple SYS servers as a form of redundancy instead of a larger OVH server.

• On the last OVH world tour I assisted, they really tried to convince that OVH is a good enterprise solutions supplier, fit for the critical applications that needs responsive service. They said that the premium service with the best SLA for critical applications is the private cloud solution (either Vsphere or Azure). They don't promoted at all the traditional dedicated server business on this context. I guess that they are shifting the premium support towards the most profitable service (for them).

• @camjac251 I'd go for SYS and have some fully dedicated resources for yourself - and a whole CPU to yourself vs. splitting it.