Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Providers Overselling network.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Providers Overselling network.

wojonswojons Member
edited November 2014 in General

I had a question about providers overselling there network. Just want to know what people are thinking about this. I am planning on getting something better than just a lowendbox. Near the end of the sales cycle just to confirm specs. And asked about network speed they told me it was 100mbit port on the node and they were offering me 5tb of bandwidth. With about 30tb max for the month the node can do on that port speed that means i would have 1/5th of the nodes bandwidth. Wanted to know what people think about this type of selling. Its not that i am getting a $7 vm.

Comments

• jesus christ. where did you learn how to write?
    it was so hard to read and understand your post.

what are you asking???
    NO, you 100Mbps port is not "DEDICATED". Its just the potential capacity of the port but you can't expect to reach 100Mbps full bandwidth usage unless you are paying for specifically guaranteed capacity.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2014

I would not buy a VPS on a node with only a 100 Mbps connection. I'm okay with that as a limit on individual instances, but there's no excuse for the node itself to not be gigabit.

• Irony.

Thanked by 2Kris netomx
  • I think what yourserver.se is doing is nice, they have the nodes on 10Gbps or 1Gbps but limit each VPS to 100mbit.

• @ItsChrisG said:
    jesus christ. where did you learn how to write?
    it was so hard to read and understand your post.

what are you asking???
    NO, you 100Mbps port is not "DEDICATED". Its just the potential capacity of the port but you can't expect to reach 100Mbps full bandwidth usage unless you are paying for specifically guaranteed capacity.

I have very bad dislexia. I have corrected the post. But to me it sounds like i can then use 16mbs all the time. not leaving to much overall.

@Dylan said:
    I would not buy a VPS on a node with only a 100 Mbps connection. I'm okay with that as a limit on individual instances, but there's no excuse for the node itself to not be gigabit.

I am okay with 100mbs if it fits my need. If my bandwidth limit was 500gb then it would make sense.

@Nekki said:
    Irony.

What is ironic.

@linuxthefish said:
    I think what yourserver.se is doing is nice, they have the nodes on 10Gbps or 1Gbps but limit each VPS to 100mbit.

Its not that my vps is not 100mbit its the node its self like the physical server

• @wojons said:
    What is ironic.

That your English was criticised by someone who doesn't seem to know how to use grammar and punctuation himself.

• @Nekki said:
    That your English was criticised by someone who doesn't seem to know how to use grammar and punctuation himself.

I see worst of all I am a native English speaker

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

It depends, 100 mbps in india is still cool.
    We use this in the cloud, at most, the largest instances, can do 600 mbps, smaller ones 300 and 100 respectively. This is to prevent packet loss and latency when some VM is hacked.

• I know httpzoom in uk is 100mbit and I have no issues most of the time apart from occasional horrid upload speed, but yeah most providers should be using shared gigabit.

Network is one of the things that matters to me on a vps...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

wojons said: I see worst of all I am a native English speaker

From UK?

• Hey guys,

OP was talking about 5TB bandwidth guarantee on a shared 100Mbps port.

The only reason I can think is that they allow you to use up to 5TB without charge you extra bucks, but don't expect you to always use up 5TB every month. To me it's more like 500GB guarantee and then free of charge if you exceed a bit (or a lot).

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@Dylan said:

Not all countries have tons of cheap bandwidth available, you know... and I would prefer a nice 100 mbps network than 1 gigabit of pure HE.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    From UK?

Nope from California.

@Maounique said:
    It depends, 100 mbps in india is still cool.
    We use this in the cloud, at most, the largest instances, can do 600 mbps, smaller ones 300 and 100 respectively. This is to prevent packet loss and latency when some VM is hacked.

I know but this is USA server.

@linuxthefish said:
    I know httpzoom in uk is 100mbit and I have no issues most of the time apart from occasional horrid upload speed, but yeah most providers should be using shared gigabit.

Network is one of the things that matters to me on a vps...

thats fine with me but the thing is the dedicated node its hosted on has a 100mbit port limit.

@msg7086 said:
    Hey guys,

OP was talking about 5TB bandwidth guarantee on a shared 100Mbps port.

The only reason I can think is that they allow you to use up to 5TB without charge you extra bucks, but don't expect you to always use up 5TB every month. To me it's more like 500GB guarantee and then free of charge if you exceed a bit (or a lot).

exactly what i was thinking.

• If you're looking for guaranteed bandwidth try Linode. Their plans advertise the speeds you'll receive and the nodes are connected at 40Gb/s.

• @kcaj said:
    If you're looking for guaranteed bandwidth try Linode. Their plans advertise the speeds you'll receive and the nodes are connected at 40Gb/s.

40Gb/s until you get DDoS ;)

Thanked by 1VenexCloud

linuxthefish said: 40Gb/s until you get DDoS ;)

Nobody will like DDoS, there are people that can tank it, but wont like it, even if you pay for protection.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Maounique said:
    Nobody will like DDoS

This.

@kcaj said:
    If you're looking for guaranteed bandwidth try Linode. Their plans advertise the speeds you'll receive and the nodes are connected at 40Gb/s.

You can't push anything near that speed, I did try.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @Nyr said:
    You can't push anything near that speed, I did try.

Well no you can't push at that speed, outbound is limited dependant on what plan you're on.

Inbound - yes, I haven't heard of anyone actually obtaining throughput of 40Gb/s.

• @Nekki said:

You read my mind :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Nekki said:

I'm so glad you kept the moderator title.

Thanked by 2Kris netomx
  • @wojons - Lets be really honest, anyone offering a 100Mbps port on a dedicated server with a fixed bandwidth allowance is joking around. Gigabit is the minimum a server should be connected with these days with 10GBE becoming more common place on higher end machines and in some cases larger.

The only time I could see it to be reasonable to deliver an FE port to someone is when they have asked for a 100Mbps unmetered service, but even then easier to rate limit it on the network than have to worry about reconfiguring ports to 100Mbps.

Back to your original question - of course providers oversell their bandwidth, some do it well and some make it really apparent. You can see this during peak periods where latency starts spiraling out of control and packet loss starts. The other problem is that many providers don't architect their internal networks properly to handle the traffic load, I've seen companies that we have bought and some that we have passed on with a rack full of servers each with a gigabit port connected to a ToR switch and a single gigabit out; plugged into another little switch with 5-6 other racks connected and then a single gigabit out of there. The internal network contention is horrendous.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    wojons - Lets be really honest, anyone offering a 100Mbps port on a dedicated server with a fixed bandwidth allowance is joking around. Gigabit is the minimum a server should be connected with these days with 10GBE becoming more common place on higher end machines and in some cases larger.

I disagree. This is like saying "all providers/servers should use SSD" usually I think you are spot on with your posts but I think you missed the point here.
    Gigabit, like SSD, has its purpose for sure and there are benefits. But 100Mbps and HDD still do fine for most cases, especially at the lower price point. Besides, its much less effort to sell "Unmetered 100Mbps" than "30TB 1Gbps"...

MarkTurner said: Lets be really honest, anyone offering a 100Mbps port on a dedicated server with a fixed bandwidth allowance is joking around. Gigabit is the minimum a server should be connected with these days with 10GBE becoming more common place on higher end machines and in some cases larger.

This can be easy within Europe or America, but not so within other regions where a small ISP could have only a few gigabits available.

edited November 2014

In some places even big ISPs have only a few gigabits available. At times I am thinking that I can buy with a few hundred Eur 1% of India's capacity or so. This is a shame to India, you people (there are many of you here) should push your government to break the monopolies there and allow everyone to bring cables or at least operate transit, this cant go on forever, you are going to lose out.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Nyr said: other regions where a small ISP could have only a few gigabits available.

That is totally true, my reference was NA/EU but even still we provide GE in Asia and Middle East but rate limit the traffic. This works well because often our customers have 2-3 servers and want to move data between them so GE allows them to do internal traffic at high speed; then when they hit the outside world the rate limit comes into effect.

shovenose said: Besides, its much less effort to sell "Unmetered 100Mbps" than "30TB 1Gbps"...

In certain respects true, but an FE isn't really 100Mbps, its 125Mbps GBR but once you remove the LC/ECC then you're back to 100Mbps then from there you lose more overhead with IP so more likely you'll be getting 80-90Mbps depending on things like packet size. So effective throughput on 80Mbps is 26.29TB/month at best efforts.

From a SP perspective when you offer an unmetered 100Mbps connection then when a customer can't get 12.5MBps through that pipe then they start complaining. Many don't have the technical knowledge to understand packet overhead or in the case of something like SCP the IO/CPU overhead that may limit the transfer rate.

We've found that offering the customer an amount of traffic with their package is a more fair option, then they can consume it as fast or slow as they need.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Maounique said: you people

Thanked by 2netomx TriDoxiuM
  • @kcaj said:
    @linuxthefish said:
    40Gb/s until you get DDoS ;)
    @Maounique said:

@linuxthefish said:

;)
    @kcaj said:
    Inbound - yes, I haven't heard of anyone actually obtaining throughput of 40Gb/s.

The data is just logs and long term storage so need more disk space thought about voltar ssd and maybe i will give them a try the port speed works for what i am doing its just akward to get such a huge amount on that port.> @MarkTurner said:

wojons - Lets be really honest, anyone offering a 100Mbps port on a dedicated server with a fixed bandwidth allowance is joking around. Gigabit is the minimum a server should be connected with these days with 10GBE becoming more common place on higher end machines and in some cases larger.

The only time I could see it to be reasonable to deliver an FE port to someone is when they have asked for a 100Mbps unmetered service, but even then easier to rate limit it on the network than have to worry about reconfiguring ports to 100Mbps.

Back to your original question - of course providers oversell their bandwidth, some do it well and some make it really apparent. You can see this during peak periods where latency starts spiraling out of control and packet loss starts. The other problem is that many providers don't architect their internal networks properly to handle the traffic load, I've seen companies that we have bought and some that we have passed on with a rack full of servers each with a gigabit port connected to a ToR switch and a single gigabit out; plugged into another little switch with 5-6 other racks connected and then a single gigabit out of there. The internal network contention is horrendous.
    @shovenose said:
    Gigabit, like SSD, has its purpose for sure and there are benefits. But 100Mbps and HDD still do fine for most cases, especially at the lower price point. Besides, its much less effort to sell "Unmetered 100Mbps" than "30TB 1Gbps"...
    @Nyr said:
    This can be easy within Europe or America, but not so within other regions where a small ISP could have only a few gigabits available.
    @Maounique said:
    In some places even big ISPs have only a few gigabits available. At times I am thinking that I can buy with a few hundred Eur 1% of India's capacity or so. This is a shame to India, you people (there are many of you here) should push your government to break the monopolies there and allow everyone to bring cables or at least operate transit, this cant go on forever, you are going to lose out.

Dont worry @markturner if this does not go well your on my list to try to get some 5150's from i like to try other providers before going back to providers. I think that all servers must have this or that depends on use case I dont need SSD then i dont want ssd i would rather get extra storage than say i have faster io for a system i dont check that often. Extra networking speed is nice but i find a stable network is more imporant it does not matter if your connected to the fastest backbone if they random like to drop packets and have unneeded downtime.