Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Dedicated Server OS Re-install
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Dedicated Server OS Re-install

I have a dedicated server at online.net that needs the same OS re-installed. I would like to keep the existing /home partition if possible but do not see a way I can do this via their web GUI.

It is not a real big deal if I cannot keep this existing partition as all critical files are backed up but there are few that I would like to keep if possible...but not the end of world if not possible.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• I don't think it's possible, but you could just move everything to their free 100GB FTP backup, and then move it back. Should be quicker than your existing backup.

• Hello,

indeed, if you reinstall your server, the whole disk will be formated.
    As @hostnoob said, the easier way to do it is to backup your file directly on the free FTP Backup and then move them back on the server.

Regards, Julien @ Online.net.

Thanked by 2Monsta_AU Fusionist
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hi,

In this kind of situation we put a new hard drive, once server is reinstalled we plug the old disk on a usb port.

• @OnlineJulien said:
    As hostnoob said, the easier way to do it is to backup your file directly on the free FTP Backup and then move them back on the server.

That's exactly what the 100GB backup is for. It is hosted in a different DC than where your server is yet you get LAN-like speed. I sent about 75 Gigabytes over that in a matter of a few minutes.

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited November 2014

Thanks everyone. As the server would not boot due to an unknown OS issue, I booted it with the online.net rescue option, mounted the server drive then logged in with SFTP and got the files I wanted. OS has been re-installed and all back to normal.

• Sorry for digging,but I'm looking for a solution which don't format second HDD when resinstall dedibox. I don't know why last time, I resinstall with debian, config first HDD with 2 partitions, leave second HDD with 1 partion, no RAID, then it work. Anyone here in same situation?