Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Issue / Script issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server Issue / Script issue

Hi friends,

One of our VPS hitting 90+ load continuously. website hits almost 20- 30 hits at a time and server load went high.

Here is our VPS Configuration:

Total processors: 2

Processor #1

Vendor
GenuineIntel
Name
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz
Speed
1999.998 MHz
Cache
20480 KB

Processor #2

Vendor
GenuineIntel
Name
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz
Speed
1999.998 MHz
Cache
20480 KB

Memory Information
Memory: 2905524k/3145728k available (5154k kernel code, 388k absent, 239816k reserved, 7164k data, 1260k init)

**SSD Disk Space: **

40 GB.

**XEN Visualization. **

CENTOS 6.6 x86_64

3 GB Guaranteed RAM.

Website Details:

Optimized by Cache Plugins,

Images loaded from Wordpress CDN.

Comressed all JS & CSS.

**According to Pingdom: **

Total Request: 105

Website Size: 2 MB

Frequently received Notification for FAILED: clamd on *** (Mysql Automatically restarted)

I was contact my Providers regarding the issue, they informed to upgrade more CPU cores.

i have checked all the scripts, except timthumb everything is very simple.

my doubt is, 3GB RAM with 2 cores (E5 - XEN) is not efficient to handle 30 visitors at a time?

What is your suggestion?

Should i Upgrade CPU cores (or) Change providers?

Is there any more optimization required from server?

advance thanks for your answers :)

Comments

• Change your site to static/mega cached and block bad user agents and IP ranges!

30 hits a second isn't huge traffic though, you might want to change your webserver config.

Thanked by 1eversmile_host
  • Thanks for your suggestions.

already we used Auto optimize cache + wp fastest cache plugins to serve as static html pages.

what kind of webserver config to change? just give a hint,so i can cross verify with my settings.

• @eversmile_host said:
    Thanks for your suggestions.

already we used Auto optimize cache + wp fastest cache plugins to serve as static html pages.

what kind of webserver config to change? just give a hint,so i can cross verify with my settings.

What webserver are you using? Something like varnish will work much better, those wordpress plugins are crap...

• ZEROFZEROF Member
    edited November 2014

Check your logs man. See if somebody try to brut or ddos you and install sshguard, hit some nice iptables rules. If you think your server config have nothing to do with your problem. 30 hits will turn on 512mb VPS without problem, you have 3gb of ram etc. .

If you have big MySql load, take one small VPS install only MySql, set master/master and load balancing with haproxy or nginx etc. .

• edited November 2014

linuxthefish said: What webserver are you using?

Apache, will try varnish.

ZEROF said: Check your logs man.

i just checked log and nothing serious like ddos / brutforce.

Awesome idea to solve mysql issue. Thank you for both :)

• turnkeyintenetturnkeyintenet Member, Host Rep

or try putting the mysql on an ssd system - depending, that disk IO may be your bottle neck.

A quick way to know, login via ssh and do a netstat -vatn it will show you remote connections and you can see if one ip is hitting you hard. check apache-status for what web calls are going on in real time, and finally in mysql run a 'show processlist'. Between those 3 commans you can figure out what is 'stuck', and then take action.

all the above suggestions are legit - but it could be mysql, disk IO, optimizations, or just server resources consumed by one remote ip DoS'ing you.

• I'm not sure if you solved your problem or not. If it is not solved, please try to disabled Wordpress caching plugins.

I had the same problem with some Wordpress sites in the past, and my problem was solved by disabling W3 total cache plugin.

• can i install Varnish + nginxcp with apache for better performance?

is that really will work? please share your experience..

• @eversmile_host said:
    can i install Varnish + nginxcp with apache for better performance?

is that really will work? please share your experience..

Install "Varnish" by itself, in front of your existing web server (existing Apache, don't touch the Apache if it's already working! (except changing the port, etc. for Varnish as required.) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. applies here frankly.

However, the "WP Total Cache" and all sorts of related plugins, remove all of them. Remove every single one of the caching or optimization plugins you have installed, as they really do not change anything (as the primary code base is also bloated and problematic pre-4 version.)

• Try disabling all plugins and themes too perhaps, see if it helps with the server load. If it does, there might be some codes that are not compatible with new version of WordPress or even Apache.

• edited November 2014

just installed varnish successfully and performance really improved a lot and load went little low and steady.

i read varnish + ngnixcp (with apache) will provide more performance as well it will helps to reduce server load.

is that really works?

anyone had tried before in this combination?

BTW: i deactivated all my cache plugins.

Thank you for all :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Remember, the average visitor should trigger little to no CPU usage. If they are, the web application is not as optimized as it could be. Especially with Wordpress, the good caching plugins redirect to static HTML cached pages, there shouldn't be spikes of PHP usage for any static cached content. Some plugins/themes render that static cache ineffective, and that causes a problem. Very rarely is the answer to upgrade, unless your traffic is truly hammering the web server itself (not PHP/MySQL) to such a degree that what you have cannot handle it, even when optimized at the web server level.

Varnish is probably enough to resolve your problem in one easy move as you have done. If you need to go further, sure Varnish > Nginx > Apache is a great setup as well. Keeping Apache on the back end makes rewrites infinitely easier, that's for sure.

• edited November 2014

Thanks @Jar.

i will give try for this combination.