Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mini-VM-VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mini-VM-VM

justinbjustinb Member
edited October 2011 in General

Is there anything NOT a full blown VM, but something equivalent to a "freebsd jail" but a bit more than a chroot for Ubuntu?

I'm looking at LXC right now, hopefully it's something that I can assign an "LAN IP" to, then reverse-proxy it from something running in another container.

Comments

• kylixkylix Member
    edited October 2011

How about Linux VServer?

With VServer you can only run Linux guests. The trick is that a guest does not run a kernel on its own (as XEN and UML do), it merely uses a virtualized host kernel-interface. VServer offers so called security contexts which make it possible to separate one guest from each other, i.e. they cannot get data from each other. Imagine it as a chroot environment with much more security and features.

• LXC is in the mainstream kernel using cgroup. Looks cool when I looked at the tech detail on what it can do, but I have no idea why it's not popular. Maybe there's still stability issue?

On the other hand, why not just use OpenVZ? Well tested, many people are using it, etc.

• LowEndAdmin said: On the other hand, why not just use OpenVZ? Well tested, many people are using it, etc.

I'm only looking at lxc because I don't need to recompile kernel for it, unless anyone can find a "guide" or something for ovz on ubuntu 11 that lets me do fake private lans easily..

No KVM on this box (only remote reboot) and I am not primarily a linux user

• Okay I see. Interestingly Ubuntu dropped OpenVZ support although Debian has it in Squeeze. But that's Ubuntu who seems to be doing weird things these days (Unity, arghhhhhh!)

• LowEndAdmin said: Okay I see. Interestingly Ubuntu dropped OpenVZ support although Debian has it in Squeeze. But that's Ubuntu who seems to be doing weird things these days (Unity, arghhhhhh!)

Unlickily, it it the only system that can power on my PC, so I have to learn to live with it.

• luis123456 said: Unlickily, it it the only system that can power on my PC, so I have to learn to live with it.

I would run a live cd before Arghbuntu! :P