Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Configure-it-yourself VPS plans - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Configure-it-yourself VPS plans

124»

Comments

• earlearl Member

@Damian said: I've found that they're impossible to use with precision on a laptop with a trackpad too

Once you select the slider I just use the left and right arrows key on the keyboard.. works fine.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@rm_ said: ...sorry, what?

Well, this is my calculation for a perfect vps.

Configure your own VPS $0.00 USD
    » Memory (x 32mb): 2 $0.50 USD
    » Monthly Transfer (x 10gb): 100 $9.00 USD
    » Disk Space (x 1gb): 5 $0.15 USD
    » Extra IP Addresses (each): 0 $0.00 USD
    Setup Fees: $0.00 USD
    Monthly: $9.65 USD
    Total Due Today: $9.65 USD

It is really expensive. 1 tb transfer should not cost 9 dollars.
    But maybe the values are just to play with because 100 gb storage for 15 dollars is also ridiculous.
    Other than that, I can report the sliders work fine for me, I was able to adjust at the exact values with ease. Using chromium on debian.
    M

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012

@BassHost

A lot of LEB providers pay per TB and not per mbit or on 95th percentile.

And even when they do, for the cheapest bandwidth (which let me again say means some crappy mix) you're looking at 1$/mbit which is 3$ for 0.9tb of usage per month. That's not far off the 4-5$ price people would offer for a 1TB block on some high quality Level3 mix.

• DamianDamian Member

Multiple points here:

I've said repeatedly that this isn't going to be the actual pricing or division values. This was merely a preview of the system used to create it. I'm not sure why people are getting worked up over pricing on this, when we're not even accepting orders from it yet.

This is will also be pricing for actual usage. I expect that if you purchase 1000gb of transfer, you're going to use 1000gb transfer. Not the LET standard of "60000gb per month!!!! but we hope you only use 30!".

I think i'll just go ahead and give up on this system now, and just do standard plans.

@PAD said: That's not far off the 4-5$ price people would offer for a 1TB block on some high quality Level3 mix.

Indeed, this is Level3, not XO/HE/Cogent or other budget providers.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @Damian said: I think i'll just go ahead and give up on this system now, and just do standard plans.

Keep working on it! Haters gonna hate, etc.

• PADPAD Member
    edited July 2012

@Damian

Don't give up, a lot of peoples hate is bandwidth but most of these people don't know the real price of bandwidth, it is a very very skewed area. You have :

1. The oversold BS prices LEB providers give you on set plans where they expect you to use only 5%
    2. The overpriced BS prices Dedicated Server providers give you to make mark up.
    3. The real down to earth prices you will get from the upstream providers
    4. The slightly more expensive prices you will get from the DC's.

Thing is, most people have are very misled on bandwidth prices which causes a big issue when they see the real price needed to support it. I can't believe you guys are crying about 3$/TB for a high quality mix, I can tell you right now that he's paying at cheapest 5$/TB because I have experience with his provider. And if he was paying per mbit/95th percentile the prices would be even higher.

I was actually "crying" for 1 tb at 9 dollars, and it was only an opinion thinking these wont be the final prices.
    M

• I think this configure it yourself system is a great idea, especially for a backup VPS. You could have a very small amount of bandwidth each month, and then increase it when you need to upload and download your files. I think this would be very cost effective instead of paying for unused bandwidth every month.

@titanicsaled said: and then increase it when you need to upload and download your files

Hum, so the plan will not be fixed after it is designed ? I mean you can change it each month ?
    M

• DamianDamian Member

@Maounique said: Hum, so the plan will not be fixed after it is designed ? I mean you can change it each month ?

I wasn't planning on it...

• PADPAD Member

@Maounique

Very possible with WHMCS upgrade system.

@PAD said: Very possible with WHMCS upgrade system.

It has downgrade too ?
    M

• DamianDamian Member

WHMCS upgrade/downgrade system works on the concept of packages/plans. Not sure if it'll work changing arbitrary values.

• PADPAD Member

Yes.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2012

Looks like it'll work with incrementing values, but no way to decrease them, except manually.

• flyfly Member

@Maounique said: It is really expensive. 1 tb transfer should not cost 9 dollars.

But maybe the values are just to play with because 100 gb storage for 15 dollars is also ridiculous.

because hardware and transfer is free and open source and in the cloud and just works!

• This is a cool demo / test site. Not the actual numbers.