Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Reviews: Give Me Some Suggestions!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Reviews: Give Me Some Suggestions!

maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
edited July 2012 in General

Hey Guys,
As some of you may know I do weekly VPS reviews on LowEndBox and I'm hoping to come up with some solid guidelines and testing methods to improve the fairness and quality of the reviews.

Specifically, I'm looking for suggestions relating to the overall reviews, new sections I could (possibly) add, new testing techniques (this is a big one for me as many of the tests I currently perform aren't particularly useful and can easily be gamed by hosts) and anything else you can think of!
Also, I'm currently writing guidelines for hosts that wish to have a review done, any useful contributions there would also be appreciated!

Anyway, thanks to any contributors!

Comments

• ioping, and more importantly, fio randrw :)

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

ioping and cpu benchmark?

• DamianDamian Member

@KnightSwarm_Phillip said: ioping, and more importantly, fio randrw :)

+1 for this

• jcalebjcaleb Member

incorporate 96mb tests

• marrcomarrco Member
    edited July 2012

on OVZ cat /proc/net/ip_tables_matches and if recent (*) module is not present try to ask the provider to enable it on your node. OVH (at least on their test VKS) and other providers won't do that for you.

if the hosting is using vServer don't forget to tell in your review that iptables support is not present.

(*) useful for these kind of rules:

#  Allows SSH connections (only 4 attempts by an IP every 3 minutes, drop the rest to prevent SSH attacks)
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --name DEFAULT --rsource
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 180 --hitcount 4 --name DEFAULT --rsource -j DROP
    -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW --dport 22 -j ACCEPT

and of course ioping.

routing and peering agreements are important so post a traceroute to www.google.com and to a few EU/US/ASIA destinations so we can see the transit.

• I vote for a real world test.

Some examples:

• Setup WP (without plugins)
    • Test MySQL performance (create a simple benchmarks script)
    • Test load/config via blitz.io
    • If there's enough ram, setup Minecraft

It's alright to do all the technical tests, but most of them mean diddly squat in the real world.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@telephone said: It's alright to do all the technical tests, but most of them mean diddly squat in the real world.

I would agree from experience. ioping would tell you an e3-1230v1 with Intel 320 SSDs is faster than an e3-1230v2 with Samsung 830s. Not the case...

• Thanks for the suggestions!