Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wable deploying KernelCare. yay, no more annoying sudden reboots. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wable deploying KernelCare. yay, no more annoying sudden reboots.

2»

Comments

• @Jar said:
    They don't happen because he wrote all of the code and doesn't make mistakes.

You seriously sound like a whiney child. Not only did you ignore what I ACTUALLY said, you continue to put words in my mouth. Grow up.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2014

Lol this new guy is going to be fun. Fuse about as long as my smallest toenail.

Thanked by 1perennate
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited November 2014

[ks500 said]: That's what an IDS/IPS and offsite backups are for. You block rogue traffic from even getting into your network and patch once the patch has been validated. Critical systems are generally firewalled off completely from everything but the systems that actually should be talking to them. Kind of off-topic from the OP.

Some time bug can be introduced to a your enterprise public service portal allowing escalation of privileges and damaging all other users of public service - no IDS/IPS will help especially in the first hours

and some time bug is introduced that allow a paying user or competitor which quicly pay several bucks and get auto activation to exploit from inside .. how vRozenSch00n sayed...

that's the real market issues...

And about backups here is low end market what backups, maybe enterprise customers are willing to pay but not here and even not in mid range market

When i start my business i do a market research among group of site owners... Backups are in top 3 most important things so I introduce to them a lot of backups kept in several remote 400 miles+ datacenters (my price are 30 % higher than US competitors that not offer same tipe of backups only local) but sales are not go at all

So I introduce nobackup (with local dc backups) coupon code which gives 40 percent discount which price me around others competitors and a 2 month later 100% of my users are using the discount so i stop to offer multiple remote DC backups change to backups kept at my DC backup space Thats the reality

Customers whant it but if someone offer them they are not willing to pay

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2014

ks500 said: Internal traffic is firewalled between subnets so an "internal breach" is no different than an "external breach". As I said, traffic is only allowed between systems that should be talking to each other.

Ah I see, firewall is one aspect of security layers :)

edited November 2014

@ks500 said:
    Internal traffic is firewalled between subnets so an "internal breach" is no different than an "external breach". As I said, traffic is only allowed between systems that should be talking to each other.

Translation: Doesn't run a public facing infrastructure, but rudely (in a condescending manner) lectures people who do without understanding their job based on actual experience in their shoes.

Welcome to LET. You'll find your stay very unpleasant.

edited November 2014

coolice said: and some time bug is introduced that allow a paying user or competitor which quicly pay several bucks and get auto activation to exploit from inside

This is the mother of all fear of many enterprise class institution. Social engineering and well planned attack.

p.s. (enterprise here means owning at least 2 Data Centers with 2,000 machine each, or data center with 15 machines each and the rest 1,930 machine distributed across major cities in the country)

edited November 2014

Back to topic, yes it is beneficial to have something to enhance a service so that hosting business may cut down production cost while having a more stable machines, in the end the customers will have an affordable quality service :)

• @Jar said:

To be honest: Right now, you seem more annoying. ;-)

edited November 2014

@Amitz said:

K

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Amitz said:

Yeah but we are used to @Jar being annoying ;)

Thanked by 2jar perennate
  • Jar said: Welcome to LET. You'll find your stay very unpleasant.

That's nasty. But I like it :P

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Jar said:
    Lol this new guy is going to be fun. Fuse about as long as my smallest toenail.

Pic or your point is irrelevant.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @trewq said:
    Yeah but we are used to Jar being annoying ;)

Maybe, but he normally is way more lovable while being annoying. :-)

Thanked by 2jar Dylan

@Amitz said:
    normally is way more lovable while being annoying. :-)

Dude. Don't know if this is the right time to say this. I love you.

Thanked by 3Amitz trewq gestiondbi
  • When it comes to love, any place and time is right. Just give me 5 minutes to explain the development to my wife and everything's gonna be alright. :-)

Thanked by 3jar Darwin Mark_R
  • @Jar said:
    Translation: Doesn't run a public facing infrastructure, but rudely (in a condescending manner) lectures people who do without understanding their job based on actual experience in their shoes.

You are so far in over your head I can't decide if it's humorous or sad. The infrastructure is SaaS, it's almost all public facing. Any other horribly poor assumptions you'd like to make?

Thanked by 2jar Mark_R
  • @vRozenSch00n said:
    Back to topic, yes it is beneficial to have something to enhance a service so that hosting business may cut down production cost while having a more stable machines, in the end the customers will have an affordable quality service :)

Realtime kernel patching is awesome, I was just pointing out that it seemed odd to me he'd roll patches without testing first. If kernelcare is pitching it that way (I can't say I've heard them do so, but maybe they are), they're just going to end up with a lot of disappointed customers.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2014

@ks500 said:
    You are so far in over your head I can't decide if it's humorous or sad. The infrastructure is SaaS, it's almost all public facing. Any other horribly poor asshumptions you'd like to make?

@ks500: Stop trying to be more annoying than Jar.
    1. It won't work.
    2. The fight is over. I stopped it with magic love powder.
    3. You both have great looking and impressive dicks. All is good.

<3

• Amitz said: You both have great looking and impressive dicks

I love you when you talk dirty. :P

Btw mine is not bigger than a jalapeño but it's hot :P

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2014

@vRozenSch00n said:
    Btw mine is not bigger than a jalapeño but it's hot :P

That's all that counts. Ask Mick Jagger! ;-)
    http://www.yourtango.com/201086372/which-celebrity-men-have-small-penises#.VGfmS4jGKrU

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • This thread went weird fast.

Thanked by 3jar Mark_R perennate
  • ks500 said: Realtime kernel patching is awesome, I was just pointing out that it seemed odd to me he'd roll patches without testing first. If kernelcare is pitching it that way (I can't say I've heard them do so, but maybe they are), they're just going to end up with a lot of disappointed customers.

Different settings might have some glitches :)

Thanked by 1jar
    edited November 2014

@vRozenSch00n said:
    Different settings might have some glitches :)

OpenVZ is definitely not always predictable. There will always be different variables across different nodes due to the containers sharing the kernel. No one single action can always be guaranteed to have an identical reaction on all OpenVZ servers. Testing is fine but the production push not working is not necessarily an indication of failed testing unless you replicate all containers on all nodes for the test. OpenVZ is an extremely imperfect system.

It's also the entire reason this site is as successful as it is.

This all makes little sense to anyone who doesn't run a farm of OpenVZ servers. There are some facts you learn to accept.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @Amitz said:

He pays his bribes membership fees every month, he can act how he wants :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • @hostnoob said:
    He pays his bribes membership fees every month, he can act how he wants :)

@Jar sends me payments in return for me endorsing his posts.

Thanked by 2jar Mark_R
  • Jar said: OpenVZ is definitely not always predictable.

Jar said: OpenVZ is an extremely imperfect system.

^This mostly the cause.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@ks500 said:
    If kernelcare is pitching it that way (I can't say I've heard them do so, but maybe they are)

"Live, automated kernel patching, without reboots" is a bullet point on their home page. By default it auto-updates.

• @nick_a did you report the screwup to kernel care? this sounds like it shouldn't be taken lightly.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Mark_R said:
    nick_a did you report the screwup to kernel care? this sounds like it shouldn't be taken lightly.

Yep. Someone else did as well or they wouldn't have caught it in time. It could have easily reached more nodes.