Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About virtualization
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

About virtualization

Hi

I want to hire a dedicated server which I need to split into two. Some system virtualization, can create in this case 2 vps and both can benefit from 100% of server capacity.

example:

Server Features:
8 cores CPU
64 gb ram
2TB HDD

Create the following vps:

VPS1: 4 cores, 32GB RAM, 1TB HDD
VPS2: 4 cores, 32GB RAM, 1TB HDD

I know I can install openvz vps and create those two, but will not have assigned 100% of those 4 cores and will have different limitations.

With kvm is this possible?

Comments

• Hello,

What you're looking for is called "CPU Affinity" or "Emulator PIN"; alternatively "PINNING" or "Core dedication" ; see the KVM documentation for one of many possible solutions for what you're asking:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Virtualization_Guide/ch25s06.html

• You may also wish to look into controlling other factors using cgroups. This can enable you to enforce CPU, disk I/O, memory and bandwidth limitations as well.

see this for more info -> https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37670_01/E37355/html/ol_use_cases_cgroups.html

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2014

@shileno

What will you use it for? Depending on that, it might be better NOT to have dedicated cores as more cpu power will be used overall.

Example: Server one is at 50% for some reason and server two is coughing blood trying to keep up with tasks, if you are hell bent on dedicating the cores, 50% of 4 cores will remain unused, while, if you were to use Xen processor scheduling instead, server two would use what is available instead overall all cores are used 100%.

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Maounique

I want to install the following:

VPS 1: Wowza for streaming video and relay shoutcast

VPS 2: Cpanel + WHMSonic or CentovaCast for audio streaming

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Xen or ESX are the best options for that.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Maounique said:
    shileno

What will you use it for? Depending on that, it might be better NOT to have dedicated cores as more cpu power will be used overall.

Example: Server one is at 50% for some reason and server two is coughing blood trying to keep up with tasks, if you are hell bent on dedicating the cores, 50% of 4 cores will remain unused, while, if you were to use Xen processor scheduling instead, server two would use what is available instead overall all cores are used 100%.

This is an excellent point that is often overlooked. There have been plenty of times that I have assigned an extra core to a VPS to lower overall cpu usage. On the surface, to most, it sounds illogical. It isn't at all though. A process needs what it needs to finish, and the less it has to use the longer it can take. A bottleneck can cause more cpu usage over time as processes stack. Not to mention the memory impact of stacking processes.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2014

@AnthonySmith said:
    Xen or ESX are the best options for that.

There you go.

Jar said: Not to mention the memory impact of stacking processes.

And no to mention the extra switching between tasks, which, the more time a task takes, the more CPU switching back and forth, loading and unloading registries and all, this is why ovz mammoth servers with big and powerful cores (but not so many) and tons of small containers are failing hard at times. Softlocks everywhere and it never recovers.

Thanked by 1jar
  • turnkeyintenetturnkeyintenet Member, Host Rep

for simplicity, go with Vmware ESX- it sounds like you are just getting started, regardless the vmware product line will handle that, make it simple and easy to manage.

• Go with VMware ESXi 5.5 ( free license ) or you can try with Proxmox.