Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMBox + free SSL alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMBox + free SSL alternative?

Hey,

VMBox.co offers a free wildcard SSL certificate, but it has just really bad reviews and I don't trust that hoster.

Are there any other VPS hoster that delivers a free wildcard SSL certificate with it?

I actually think there isn't but it's worth asking.

Thanks,
Joery.

Comments

• No, and where do you see these bad reviews? I have a VPS with them, no problems.

Thanked by 1StevenN
  • Yes i hadd bad experince with vmbox.co too, im now with hosthatch they offer free comodo positive ssl certificate, its not bad free ssl
    Hope you find something else

• JoeryJoery Member
    edited November 2014

http://lowendbox.com/blog/vmbox-6-5month-3072mb-openvz-vps-in-amsterdam-phoenix-and-los-angeles/

Here are really bad comments.

@Microlinux said:
    No, and where do you see these bad reviews? I have a VPS with them, no problems.

• Get their VPS, get a free SSL cert and just don't use it on their machine.

Note: this is against Singlehop's policy and they can revoke your cert at any time.

May be just get a server with SH?

• Well, these bad comments came from minecraft kiddys that tried to run a minecraft server on these boxes.

• @tr1cky said:
    Well, these bad comments came from minecraft kiddys that tried to run a minecraft server on these boxes.

Yeah sure, but there are also comments about the VMBox team that they don't know what they are doing. That has nothing todo with 'Minecraft kiddys'...

• @Joery said:
    Yeah sure, but there are also comments about the VMBox team that they don't know what they are doing.

Even some Linode team members could have no idea what they are doing. If you totally can't bear this you will probably not have much choices left. Maybe softlayer dedicate servers (if it hasn't changed since before) are your best bet.

Besides, uk2 provides unlimited PositiveSSL for free but you "can't" use it outside of their network, just like what SingleHop said.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited November 2014

@Joery said:
    Yeah sure, but there are also comments about the VMBox team that they don't know what they are doing.

If you read it on the Internet, it must be true. Especially when it's written by whiny cheapskate denizens.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@Microlinux said:
    No, and where do you see these bad reviews? I have a VPS with them, no problems.

Thanks for you comment, this is the view of most clients.

I'll admit we aren't the best you can probably get for <$7 but you get your moneys worth and we have nice benefits included.

We don't oversell to the extreme like some, uptime is excellent, hardware and network are great too. 3GB RAM VPS etc plus a wildcard SSL for $6.50 is a bargain.

• @VMbox said:
    We don't oversell to the extreme like some, uptime is excellent, hardware and network are great too. 3GB RAM VPS etc plus a wildcard SSL for $6.50 is a bargain.

I have a VPS with you guys. Besides a update preformed on a node, I have never had downtime issues or anything of that manner. +1

Thanked by 1StevenN
  • It all depends on the plan that you purchase, I can issue you an AlphaSSL Wildcard SSL included with the plan. Shoot me a PM about what plan or specs you need and if you're willing to pay yearly for it or not. :)

• @VMbox said:

I bought the 3GB ram VPS yesterday, and it's not bad at all.

Support is also fast enough, short answers but that doesn't matter.

Thanked by 1StevenN
  • @XFS_Duke

are the certs singed with SHA256?

I have few @VMbox VMs and they are pretty solid, never had any sort of issue with them so I don't understand all that bashing. The only downside is that the cert you get for free from VMbox is singed with SHA1 which isn't a big problem but would be nice if they could move to SHA256.

• Kupol said: The only downside is that the cert you get for free from VMbox is singed with SHA1 which isn't a big problem but would be nice if they could move to SHA256.

This.

• I believe HostHatch offers free SSL of some sort with their VPS. (at least they used to)

I can't really comment on their quality of service though.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@eddynetweb said:
    This.

We can issue SHA256 Certs however due to them being manual processing due to API issues & we're only issuing them if requested.

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • @VMbox said:
    We can issue SHA256 Certs however due to them being manual processing due to API issues & we're only issuing them if requested.

Good to know.

• @Kupol said:

Yes, everything I process will be the updated stuff. No more SHA1 only SHA256. This SHOULD be the default with any provider, period.