Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10TB+ Storage: Backup to the Clouds - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

10TB+ Storage: Backup to the Clouds

2»

Comments

• Buy some of this "unlimited" hosting!

• Dude, check to be sure. 100TB is 1399$/mo ...... 24$ is for 1 TB

• You might want to try windows server 2012 (with several hard drives)

I have around 9TB of storage (but around 11TB stored) with windows data deduplication.

• Look further. it says "upto" for 10TB a month it would cost $212.49 / Month (50% Off)

• Instead of crashplan / backblaze, I use LiveDrive.

Through "http://www.clouddrive.nl/pakketten" it has unlimited storage, but also unlimited computers, and costs: 3,95 euro per month, or 42,50 euro per year.

• @henkb said:
    Instead of crashplan / backblaze, I use LiveDrive.

Through "http://www.clouddrive.nl/pakketten" it has unlimited storage, but also unlimited computers, and costs: 3,95 euro per month, or 42,50 euro per year.

Are their servers located in the Netherlands?

• @churchill Why are you wanting to drop BackBlaze?

• tr1cky said: Are their servers located in the Netherlands?

No, based in London with cogent only.

(i use a knowhow 4TB account)

• henkb said: I use LiveDrive

My experience with them is horrible. Their software randomly deletes 100s of GB of data and then spends a while backing it all up again.

• ChurchillChurchill Member
    edited November 2014

@kcaj said:
    churchill Why are you wanting to drop BackBlaze?

Backblaze does not allow me to sync files from a SAN/NAS/NFS mount point, only USB and local disk. I 'cheated' and bought a 5 bay USB RAID drive and slapped 4TB disks in there, rsync'd my data across, and have that uploaded to Backblaze.

Hubic is a good start as their upload/download speeds are decent and they don't throttle. Throttling is the big thing with CrashPlan as they stick it to you hard after you reach a threshold. I want to avoid any company with a throttling engine built in and a crappy client that allows me to backup straight from NFS mount points.

Amazon services are ridiculously expensive over time, far more than the google plan which is not too terrible.

Hubric is looking like a decent provider with several options for me to explore and only $120/yr. I even looked at Baidu Cloud but I don't have a Chinese phone number to use.

I wouldn't mind paying $200/yr for something that's NOT in france.

I wonder if work will let me put in OwnCloud server to use...hmmm

• @Churchill the reason they are throttling you is because the price you pay is not enough to cover their expenses for the service they are providing to you. They would gladly make you quit and move elsewhere, throttling is probably a way to give you a hint about this.

• @rds100 said:
    Churchill the reason they are throttling you is because the price you pay is not enough to cover their expenses for the service they are providing to you. They would gladly make you quit and move elsewhere, throttling is probably a way to give you a hint about this.

Backblaze does not throttle me and they charge $60/yr. Hubic doesn't throttle, from what I can read, and they charge $10/mo. Google and MS both are more expensive by a factor of 10 and don't throttle.

I understand WHY they do it, it's business not personal, hence my reason for unthrottled alternatives and my post on LET.

• @kcaj said:
    My experience with them is horrible. Their software randomly deletes 100s of GB of data and then spends a while backing it all up again.

Mmh, never noticed that. Best feature was that the company is not located in the US, and the servers are in EU :)

• @Churchill really $10/month for 10TB of storage is unrealistic. It doesn't cover even half the associated cost for providing such service. So while they might not throttle you initially, eventually they will find a way to get rid of you.

• Churchill said: Hubic doesn't throttle

Since when? they had a 10Mbit limit didnt they.. (and you was lucky to get that)

• @TarZZ92 said:

If they did I'd like to know. I don't want to sit there and wait on upload speed limitations. I've seen reports of users with massive files hitting 80-100mb speeds without a problem.

• henkb said: Mmh, never noticed that. Best feature was that the company is not located in the US, and the servers are in EU :)

London servers was a nice touch whilst I was using them but speeds still weren't best. I have a 100Mb/s upload.

I like that BackBlaze allows the use of private keys.

• Churchill said: If they did I'd like to know. I don't want to sit there and wait on upload speed limitations. I've seen reports of users with massive files hitting 80-100mb speeds without a problem.

they might have changed it though.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

tr1cky said: Just get gapps for business, costs 50$ for unlimited space.

I'm confused by what you mean. I assume gapps = Google Apps.

I don't see unlimited space here...what am I missing?

https://www.google.com/work/apps/business/products/drive/

Churchill said: Backblaze does not allow me to sync files from a SAN/NAS/NFS mount point, only USB and local disk.

Last I checked, BackBlaze doesn't support Linux or *BSD :-(

• @raindog308 said:
    Last I checked, BackBlaze doesn't support Linux or *BSD :-(

They support Apple which is good enough for me and my upload needs.

Linux clients are few and far between with most of these providers. Of course I'll now see a flood of people posting links to linux clients. Sigh...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2014

TarZZ92 said: Hubic doesn't throttle

Since when?

Since months ago? For someone supposedly interested in hubic you're doing a surprisingly good job in not following any threads related to it, or reading news posted there.

Sure they do reserve the right to throttle in case your usage "affects other customers" or something like that, but the hard 10 Mbit limit is gone. Nevertheless despite reports that people successfully store TBs of data on there, I'm still a little in doubt on whether you can really use all the space and not have them make up some ToS violation or breach of some limits of "reasonable usage" by you.

• @tr1cky said:
    Are their servers located in the Netherlands?

They are located in the UK, also the company is UK. So no influance of the 'mighty' USA

• rm_ said: supposedly interested in hubic you're doing a surprisingly good job in not

I left them some time ago, hence my comment. i basically said this may have changed..

• henkb said: So no influance of the 'mighty' USA

the UK is a puppet state lol. GCHQ is probably worse than the NSA. (the NSA actually has SOME boundaries)

• I don't know if they're still doing it, but I got unlimited storage with just one account on Google Apps Unlimited. I currently have 2.5TB uploaded to it.

• @linuxthefish said:
    Buy some of this "unlimited" hosting!

Thanked by 2rm_ linuxthefish