Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Budget BGP (cisco) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Budget BGP (cisco)

13»

Comments

• @patrick7 said:
    That's a very bad idea!

Explain why?
    Depending what hes doing, do you really think missing out on anyone thats only advertising a single /24 will really cause him any issues? The answer is most likely not.
    If you are only advertising a /24, you dont really have any impact to anyone.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Microlinux said: 6509s are workhorses, but I think there are wiser ways to spend money these days. Plus, you need a nuclear reactor nearby to power them.

Pretty much spot on. I have a hard time seeing why anyone would invest new money into such old equipment today. It is 2014 after all.

• If you filter /24 then have a default route, you wouldn't lose traffic, right?

• @FalconInternet - if you filter the routes then you wont be have any way to determine which service provider to use for the outbound traffic. It will be one or the other.

• FalconInternet said: If you filter /24 then have a default route, you wouldn't lose traffic, right?

No you would not lose any traffic. You are correct it would follow the next least-specific route, if it was part of an aggregated larger block, say a /20 it would follow that route to carrier xyz. Alternatively it would just follow your path of last resort (default).

• MarkTurner said: if you filter the routes then you wont be have any way to determine which service provider to use for the outbound traffic. It will be one or the other.

Filtering and handling a path with the larger aggregates or defaults does impact your traffic c management capabilities. However, I would assume if someone was that worried about route count that they aren't actually doing any traffic engineering anyway.

• jbiloh said: Pretty much spot on. I have a hard time seeing why anyone would invest new money into such old equipment today. It is 2014 after all.

As Chris noted earlier, in the same price range the capabilities still aren't matched. Sure I could drop some of my Arista gear in place and totally smash the entire fabric capacity of a 6500 in a single 1U Arista 10gbe switch. However it can't even hold 16k routes. Tool for every job. Despite the 6500s being power hogs they are still very stable work horses. They have their draw backs in lack of port density, slow bgp convergence, power hogs, power again? More power! We still have about 2 dozen 6500/3bxl platforms out there in our networks and they are chugging right along.

As Chris mentioned as well they have tremendous capabilities to be used to be pushed down into the network away from carrier edge facing roles. As internal aggregation and distribution where high vlan count, high arp, tons of 1gbe ports, etc they still can take a serious beating. WS-X6748s are a hell of a 1gbe card, even if they are just base CEF.

• How many port groups does the WS-X6748-GE-TX have? I know there is several models of there gbe cards. I know one model is just 2gb over 48 ports.

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited November 2014

iirc theres 4 asics, the 6748 is the high end card with better port buffers too.
    the 61xx, 63xx is pos not meant for hosting market, but for telco closet stuff

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

I prefer Mikrotik / RouterOS much more than Vyatta.
    All our network is based on the CCR router.
    If you're looking for a high end router, check the CCR1072 with 72 Tilera cores. http://www.tilera.com/products/processors/TILE-Gx_Family

• Mikrotik doesn't use all the cores for BGP (hopefully in a firmware upgrade they will fix it), and it takes forever for BGP Convergence. I have 2 of them here I was testing.

• FalconInternet said: Mikrotik doesn't use all the cores for BGP

That's absolutely a problem. BGP is single-threaded and can cause a few minutes of downtime if it must be build the tables. It should be implemented in RouterOS 7 as multi-threaded system, but who knows when it is done.

• FalconInternet said: Mikrotik doesn't use all the cores for BGP (hopefully in a firmware upgrade they will fix it)

I don't think @jmginer runs anything more than a default route.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Please avoid MicroTik. I'vs seen RB-450G that all had failed capacitors. They said in the forum "supplier bad batch" but this is not true they are using low quality capacitors which is causing the issue.

If they can't make a simple device like that last how can they make a more complicated one last?

• @jmginer said:
    If you're looking for a high end router

Don't confuse high end with (selectively) high performance. With single PSU, a history of buggy firmware and features that can cripple performance, it's hard to call the CCRs "high end" routers. They have their use cases, but they don't hold a candle to truly high end routers (yes, for which you will pay much more).

• emreemre Member, LIR

Microlinux said: Don't confuse high end with (selectively) high performance. With single PSU, a history of buggy firmware and features that can cripple performance

Mikrotik is cheap. and very easy to manage.
    You can buy 10x CCR devices with the money you pay for an ancient cisco device.

yes they are not reliable.

but hey, keep backups and keep spares. It works. I know.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

MikroTik produces some CCR with dual PSU ;-) It's true that the firmware has many bugs, but once it works, it's stable.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

@William said:
    I don't think jmginer runs anything more than a default route.

I do BGP in full-route

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

What is the actual use case for a MikroTik product? What does it do well?

• SOHO?

• Mikrotik came from the WISP sector if I remember and then the community networks. Its like the craze 10 years ago for these SOC boards and people were running wireless access points on them.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • jbiloh said: What is the actual use case for a MikroTik product? What does it do well?

We use them for in-line MTU bandwidth management in an STP setup in case they fail (they do). . . fantastic bandwidth management capabilities.

• jbiloh said: What is the actual use case for a MikroTik product? What does it do well?

Mikrotik products have come a long way recently in the wired routing world, and have been a fairly large player in the WISP sector for a while now. Some of the newest products, like the CRS, still have some bugs, but the CCR series does function quite well. For BGP handling and a couple gigs of total routed bandwidth, they would work well for this particular user.

Pros for the CCR line:

• Inexpensive, but still quite powerful
    • Nice GUI if you choose to use it. CLI takes some getting used to, but works well once you get the hang of it.
    • Very low power consumption. 30-60w per unit.

Cons:

• No chassis level redundancy. The more poweful units have not been upgraded with dual PSUs yet, so any installation would require at least 2 units for redundancy.
    • BGP process is still largely single threaded, so the load time on a full table can be about 60 seconds. This isn't really too far out of line with some other vendors though..
    • They don't handle DDOS's too well, especially as the DDOS target. This may have been addressed in a recent version of RouterOS though.
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

If you're considering microtik there is no reason to not just use Ubiquiti instead.

• Ubiquiti's Edge Routers seem like the best bang for the buck. Plus, I am already familiar with Vyatta, so the transition should be easy.