Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many domains do you host on your VPS/Dedicated server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many domains do you host on your VPS/Dedicated server?

Comments

• I have around 70 domains on 1 server. With control panel.

• 4 domains, no control panel

• Both questions are incorrect.

1. You can host 10000 zero-traffic domains on one server, but you can also host just 1 high-loaded domain on one server.

2. What should i answer if i am not using vi or ed? But i also don't use any control panels. I am using SSH, but no vi or ed...

• @Profforg said:
    no vi or ed...

nano?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • DigitalOcean + ServerPilot.io

• @wych said:
    edan you brave, brave man!

They deserve second chance like other software :)

• @Profforg - I am not looking at system loading, I am looking at software licensing.

On the Q about vi or ed - if you don't use them though that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek then choose other.

• Couple personal domains, haven't really found a control panel I liked so far. So usually it's just the command line

• wych said: nano?

FTP

MarkTurner said: I am not looking at system loading, I am looking at software licensing.

I don't understand the topic title then.

"How many domains do you host on your VPS/Dedicated server?"
    "software licensing"

How is it connected?

• 50 on my Vps running Centos with cPanel runs great

• Profforg said: "How many domains do you host on your VPS/Dedicated server?" "software licensing"

How is it connected?

Some control panels are limited in the number of domains or have lite variants just trying to understand how many domains are being used and which panels are being used.

• On servers running just a few domains I tend to run TuxLite and VestaCP for anything with 10+.

• Most of our own servers we run 1 or 3 domains on. The only one we host more on is our shared hosting server and that runs cPanel, but for our own stuff, we just use the command line and run either 1 or 3 domains (Most servers on 1)

• alexhalexh Member
    edited November 2014

FTP isn't a control panel though. Also, if you are legitimately using FTP, you should consider switching to something like SFTP. It's very insecure.

http://cr.yp.to/ftp/security.html

FTP is a security disaster, even when it is used with a transparent TCP security mechanism such as IPSEC. I recommend that FTP never be used for anything other than retrieval of public files through PASV. Unfortunately, as of 1999, FTP remains one of the Internet's most popular file upload mechanisms.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2577

• 25-49 per vm.

Custom panel.

• MarkTurner said: Some control panels are limited in the number of domains or have lite variants just trying to understand how many domains are being used and which panels are being used.

Still strange polls. If there are control panels limited by number of domains, people buys better plan with higher limit if they need more domains...

alexh said: FTP isn't a control panel though. Also, if you are legitimately using FTP, you should consider switching to something like SFTP. It's very insecure.

Well, i am using SFTP. Just said FTP as SFTP is just another FTP protocol, more secure yeah :)

• BlanozBlanoz Member
    edited November 2014

I cannot find the saddest thing out of this poll: single point of failure or people still using Kloxo.

• @0xdragon said:
    Not vi or ed, just nano :)

You should vi, it's pretty fun. :)

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Profforg said: Still strange polls. If there are control panels limited by number of domains, people buys better plan with higher limit if they need more domains...

This was not a poll about shared hosting, it was specifically about VPS and dedicated servers, so the user would be providing their own software or getting the software as part of a bundle.

For example Plesk has a 10, 30 and unlimited license. Some people bundle Plesk 10 domain license with their VPSs, others bundle equally restricted control panels or 'lite' versions that require a further payment to unlock additional domains.

• Aren't you high-domain people scared that one of the websites gets hacked and the hacker has access to hundreds of websites then?

• @tr1cky said:
    Aren't you high-domain people scared that one of the websites gets hacked and the hacker has access to hundreds of websites then?

Put them on different users and different mysql databases, it helps a lot having sites isolated.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @linuxthefish are you still using Kloxo in some of your projects?

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    linuxthefish are you still using Kloxo in some of your projects?

Yes, KloxoMR for my free host :)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @linuxthefish @vRozenSch00n - I think both of you are Delimiter customers, have you tried the free Interworx license yet? How did you find it?

• @MarkTurner: I allready have my first dedicated from Delimiter and I am very pleased. I have 10 intervorx licenses. Does it means that I can give them to 10 clients, isn't it ?
    Sorry for the stupid question but until now my first target was to setup the server.

• MarkTurner said: @linuxthefish @vRozenSch00n - I think both of you are Delimiter customers, have you tried the free Interworx license yet? How did you find it?

It's nice, but I'm not a big fan of the layout - and i'm not too sure how end users will find it.

• @HWAYS - I think its 10 domains or 10 users. I have just setup a server with it a few days ago and been playing with it.

@linuxthefish - there are quite a few skins available.

You can also get free secondary DNS from Delimiter, then Interworx will sync DNS data automatically across to it as it changes or new ones get added.

• @tr1cky said:
    Aren't you high-domain people scared that one of the websites gets hacked and the hacker has access to hundreds of websites then?

Sure, I'm always scared that something like that will happen, I think anyone with a lot of websites they really care about would be stupid to not be scared something will happen to them. I keep A LOT of up-to-date backups and I store them in different places ( and make backups of those backups of those other backups!) it's not foolproof by any means but it helps to know I have a good chance to restore to an earlier backup incase of being hacked.

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited December 2014

I actually like the free interworx from delimiter I think it is like cpanel and much more like I am used to you know because I have used cpanel before. and plus I am glad its free otherwise I would have to go without a panel.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner