Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup DNS?

Buting58Buting58 Member
edited October 2011 in General

Hi LET,
I've been with HE dns, and their recent outages have got me thinking that I will need a secondary/backup dns provider. How would I set this up? Would I just add the secondary dns provider's name servers after the HE (primary) name servers in my domain registrar?

PS What do you think of cloudflare? I'm considering using it (DNS only) as the secondary/backup dns provider

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I was thinking of that before I just set NSD up on my own boxes.

CloudFlare is good without the annoying cache, which doesn't speed anything up for me in the UK. The cache needs to be purged any time you change content. Just my opinon though. Thier DNS is pretty good though, although they only have 2 DNS servers compared to the 5 servers HE has.

• Buting58Buting58 Member
    edited October 2011

Am I correct in saying that I would simply need to add in Cloudflares two nameservers after the 5 HE nameservers for my domain, and cloudflare will then be used only if HE goes down?

• Setup NSD on your box(es) and use HE as the backup nameservers.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • NickBudi said: Am I correct in saying that I would simply need to add in Cloudflares two nameservers after the 5 HE nameservers for my domain, and cloudflare will then be used only if HE goes down?

They will refuse to serve DNS for you unless they are the only nameservers.

• Buting58Buting58 Member
    edited October 2011

justinb said: They will refuse to serve DNS for you unless they are the only nameservers.

Who is "they"? Cloudflare?

• NickBudi said: justinb said: They will refuse to serve DNS for you unless they are the only nameservers.

Who is "they"? Cloudflare?

I guess so

• Yep, Cloudflare wants you to set it up in such a way that they are the only DNS providers for that particular domain.