Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DNS - GoDaddy vs CloudFlare (or other options - Route53, Rage4) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DNS - GoDaddy vs CloudFlare (or other options - Route53, Rage4)

2»

Comments

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

We use cloudflare as it's very reliable and free of course. I don't see many situations you wouldn't want to use cloudflare over anything else. Namecheap's DNS is also good but would only use with Namecheap domains I had.

• isaacl said: The other issue is that I have a site that I really want to use CloudFlare's other services with, and from what I can tell, the only way to do that is to have the domain's DNS with CloudFlare. Is there any other way to do it?

To use their proxying service you must have DNS with them.

If you're already using them for 2 other domains and you like the service, you're like the service just as much with the addition of other domains.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I can recall one significant issue with godaddy DNS over the years. I can't speak poorly about something that works. If godaddy does nothing else right, registration and DNS have to be where they shine at the least.

That isn't to say others don't do as well or better, but it works fine.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited November 2014

Voting Rage4. If you ever need GeoDNS, it's miles ahead of Route53 - which only does 'latency based routing' to the nearest Amazon datacenter, not any location.

They've also come quite a way from when they first started and are part of the LET community, for what that's worth - attentive to community requests and the like.

I don't push too many queries though, so I can't really speak to how pricing works out at any major scale. If you have a large group of domains I believe they offer a monthly plan with unlimited queries for X number of domains..

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • If only Rage4 is as cheap/cheaper than Amazon for high amount of DNS Queries. I paid 2 Euro last month just for hitting a little bit over 250k requests in ONE of my domains. I've moved my busy traffic domains out of it now ... In Route53, this would be just 90 cents. So if you have a high DNS usage, Route53 is actually cheaper much compared to Rage4, even with the GeoDNS/low latency ...

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • @godong
    Why not get an unlimited account like everyone else. You can find it at prometeus

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?gid=2

Thanked by 2godong isaacl
  • I'd say both Cloudflare and Rage4 are both good choices.
    Choosing which depends on what you're looking for.

• AutoSnipe said: You can find it at prometeus

Nice! Now if only Rage4 can improve their UX I can move from Route53.

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • @AutoSnipe said: Why not get an unlimited account like everyone else. You can find it at prometeus

>

Where does it say: "unlimited account"?

• I used to use domain.com's DNS but making changes to it would sometimes take hours to take effect (clearing any local DNS caches I could of course). I then switched to Route53 which they say changes are supposed to propagate within 60 seconds. I've used he.net's and they are pretty good as well. Now for newer domains and ones I've transferred to Google Domains, I've just been using theirs with no complains.

• cloudflare sucks. they blocked my mobile internet IP.

• Is there any way to use one provider (like CloudFlare), and set things up to automatically replicate to another provider?

• I use Cloudflare DNS for all of my websites & it seems to be working fine :) No complains so far.

• Rage4 is great! :)

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • rokokrokok Member
    edited November 2014

Not fan of cloudflare proxy/traffic, but cloudflare DNS really reliable. Make changes A record IP also very fast

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited November 2014

I think Rage4 is the right choice.

I am against CloudFlare for DNS, because they can block some big % of traffic (in my experience, they can block up to 25% of traffic; in case when you have thousands visitors daily, it's important % of traffic which lead to money lose), have problems with connectivity like every day and their support got worse in last year (after they open London office, they seems start to hire indians...).

I am against Route53, because it's amazon.

GoDaddy is just a shit...never use it if you're adequate.

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • @aglodek
    buy it you shall see :)

That is where i got mine from

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Silvenga - what's wrong with our UX?

• @AutoSnipe If only I knew they have it ... I think, I like some of the other people didn't ... Thanks for the info!

@AutoSnipe said:
    godong
    Why not get an unlimited account like everyone else. You can find it at prometeus

I

• programerprogramer Member
    edited November 2014

Amazon route53 or clouddns.net, both working fine for us

• Been using DNSMadeEasy for a couple of years now. No complaints. But am looking at a few appealing features at Rage4.

Thanked by 1gbshouse
  • netrix said: cloudflare sucks. they blocked my mobile internet IP.

Most likely the IP is shared (NAT) and others are abusing things.

• AutoSnipe said: @godong Why not get an unlimited account like everyone else. You can find it at prometeus

Hm, I thought that their pricing for unlimited was much higher.
    Are you sure that's the correct option?

• That unlimited Rage4 account via Prometeus is unlimited domains with unlimited quota?

• gbshouse said: @Silvenga - what's wrong with our UX?

It's not intuitive. Amazon's S3 UI doesn't look great, but it's fast and thought out. I would like to see all the records in a domain without scrolling the whole page, I would like a search bar, I would like elements to not change color but not do anything, etc.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited November 2014

Heh, here's a real "enticing" (to use the service) signup "welcome message" from Rage4:

Your account has been marked as high risk and requires manual activation!
    Please note that manual account activation can take up to 24 hours.

• @ranpha - yes as far as i know i have over 200 domains at current