Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Medical Journal Writing Site
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Medical Journal Writing Site

Hi all,
one of my clients which is a Medical Education company mentoring Medical Students round the globe is looking to launch a Journal platform, where medical students and authors will have their articles and scholarly white papers written and hosted.

Need your views if we should go with a standard wordpress, tuned for Journaling (need pointers) or get some dedicated journaling platform like I came across this "Open Journal Systems | Public Knowledge Project"
https://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/ojs_download/

Ofcourse, the most important thing that comes in deciding is SEO perspective! So that search engines crawl it fast and good, for instant and deep recognition. That's what the scholars come for on a Journal writing platform.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• With all due respect, it seems like you are out of your depth here.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Although I agree with @raza19 I think you should costumize WordPress to your needs.

• Maybe you need a custom CMS Content Management System for your website. I'd suggest contacting a few web developer so that you know your options :)

• Try b2evolution

• @raza19, It would rather help if you could bridge up the "Depth" with something more than a one liner! A comment looks offensive without a proven point or reason, so rather than a Cocky sarcastic Hit 'n' Run , shed some wisdom to the question!

• @Jcaleb... Thanks for the pointer, but b2 looks just like another CMS. Couldn't spot anything Journal or Peer Reviewing features which are specific to OJS.

Its a pretty mature subject that I'm dealing with, and so would like to know if there are any new platforms that support Multiple authors, peer reviewing and other assimilated aspects of White papers/Journals.

• @mehargags said:
    raza19, It would rather help if you could bridge up the "Depth" with something more than a one liner! A comment looks offensive without a proven point or reason, so rather than a Cocky sarcastic Hit 'n' Run , shed some wisdom to the question!

It just seemed (despite your good intentions) a feat too big for you to tackle. Besides one would expect a medical journal to have a lot more resources at its disposal, you are not going to get a ready made multiple post status level editorial system with citation indices and other stuff at wordpress level, that is why I said you are out of your depth because your answer to jcaleb confirms it. Wordpress despite its enormity is only a pebble compared to the giant structure you want to implement.

• Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not entirely clear on your requirements of the platform.

You've mentioned that your client is a mentoring company. Does this mean that their students will be writing their papers within the platform, and then the mentors will annotate and adjust their work?

You then mention that these papers will be hosted by yourselves; would this be a separate publication similar to The Lancet as a medical journal, or would it just be an open 'here's a random paper' approach similar to Scribd but just for medical papers?
    Wouldn't it be preferable for the author to publish their works within a pre-existing, well known institution?

Again, I'm sorry if I've got the completely wrong idea, however I'm confused about what the result will look like and how it'll function.
    Until the concept is clear, it's very difficult to advise on the suitability of existing CMSs.

It does sound interesting though. Looking forward to hearing about it.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2014

@mehargags you will be needing a CMS for the front end articles, news, announcement, and fresh contents and multiuser DMS as a back end that functions also as a library (add, delete, indexing, versioning).

Usually medical journals consist of tenth to hundreds of pages that mostly come in .pdf form, and some of the contents are not for public consumption, the DMS you choose must also have the capability to manage users.

• @Raza... you turn to forums seeking knwoseldge and views on something you are not sure of/not known of! Thats the purpose. And you offend a seeker saying "a feat too big for you to tackle"... so what do I do? leave the project and sit back... not learn??
    Brother! if you cannot contribute, keep your nose out and let those (like ElliotJ) who are genuinely trying to help.

• @ElliotJ
    Thanks for the insight... that's what I call a Discussion! I'll try to clear out as much as I can... indeed...pardon my innocence on this!

@ElliotJ said:

You've mentioned that your client is a mentoring company. Does this mean that their students will be writing their papers within the platform, and then the mentors will annotate and adjust their work?

Yes, its a coaching company mentoring Doctors for USMLE STEP2CS exams. Additionally they plan to evolve gradually as an Academy, for which the students want a publishing portal of their research and knowledge articles.

You then mention that these papers will be hosted by yourselves; would this be a separate publication similar to The Lancet as a medical journal, or would it just be an open 'here's a random paper' approach similar to Scribd but just for medical papers?

A Very good insight here, infact I'm stuck on this point with the client! You know the biggest challenge is/will be to achieve credible ranking/peer reviews and get the required RECOGNITION, without which the purpose will fail. However, all big things start small, all that matters it how you carry it so a good attempt is very well required. That Said, it will start on with Scribd like open platform, but eventually we will involve doctors all around the US and then the world over if things succeed.

Wouldn't it be preferable for the author to publish their works within a pre-existing, well known institution? yes, but the students themselves have been requesting this, alot of them have motivated us to take this move... and so we think of this. They will be writing for the already acclaimed Journals as well as for us also.

Again, I'm sorry if I've got the completely wrong idea, however I'm confused about what the result will look like and how it'll function.
    Until the concept is clear, it's very difficult to advise on the suitability of existing CMSs.
    It does sound interesting though. Looking forward to hearing about it.

I'm thankful and delighted to see your immense interest, the issues you raise are thought provoking, and being a senior business consultant, these are the real things to be pondered upon. Its not just about making it in WP/Custom plugins... which are just a part of execution, not planning!

Can't appreciate more... would love to answer anything further!

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited November 2014

mehargags said: @Jcaleb... Thanks for the pointer, but b2 looks just like another CMS. Couldn't spot anything Journal or Peer Reviewing features which are specific to OJS.

It is a very solid and secure CMS, that is why I recommend it. Could save you headaches.

If I could make an analogy, Wordpress is like to Linux as b2evolution is to BSD. Developers of b2 are conservative.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

You mean something like this? http://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/list-of-open-source-conference/

Edit: TBH it sounds like you don't even know what your goal is ("infact I'm stuck on this point with the client!"). You probably will want to figure that out first, before setting up a website.

Also you say mentoring medical students and then you say SEO, do you expect most of your users to find your website via web search? That doesn't make much sense to me.

• WordPress with Edit Flow or Camayak and some serious hacking to fit your specific needs?

If it's just post statuses and workflow you're after, either will fit your needs fine. If it's more complicated than that..

• @perennate said:
    Also you say mentoring medical students and then you say SEO, do you expect most of your users to find your website via web search? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Actually, that is how many foreign grads find resources/tutoring for prepping for the US licensing exams - online searches and online forums/word of "mouth".

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

user123 said: Actually, that is how many foreign grads find resources/tutoring for prepping for the US licensing exams - online searches and online forums/word of "mouth".

I guess I'm just confused why random medical students who find your website would want to send their articles to you.

• Available for hire ! ( webdev )

• @perennate said:
    I guess I'm just confused why random medical students who find your website would want to send their articles to you.

I'm confused about that part, too. My best guess was that the issue was a language barrier and they were submitting assignments or something, but even that doesn't make a lot of sense. shrug

• Guys -- We aren't going to offer "anyone" to write on for us, it will be our Mentored students only. Infact the very idea of all this platform is being pushed by our fellow Students who want to publish their articles with us. This is how "Khan Academy" evolved. Now I don't want to compete with that, want to start small, controlled environment and gauge the opportunities. Custom Development is something to consider, but not for a head-start, as I'm myself not clear of how things may evolve, hence I turned in for discussion here.