Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - VPS running after cancellation - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - VPS running after cancellation

Comments

• MattKC said: Looks like the thread titles are being "softened" for cvps again.

No it is not "softened". Instead it announced a security vulnerability upon provisioning and housecleaning :) or whomever read this thread might assume there was an unsanitized backup restore process.

• MattKCMattKC Member
    edited November 2014

The original title addressed the poor support experience the op was sharing, that was removed to have no mention of the bad support. Which sounds better: Bad support experience vs. Vps running after cancellation? They could have left the original title and added the "zombie" cancellation part but instead chose to alter the title the user chose that was by all accounts accurate and removed the negative. I don't have issue with changing titles that are intentionally misleading, that is not the case here. It was edited at 0907pm, he posted it at 1019 am. Now if he changed it, then I have no complaint.

• @upfreak said:
    location?

NJ

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • MattKC said: Looks like the thread titles are being "softened" for cvps again. Bad support is still in the post tags though so at least that didn't get stripped too.

I must disappoint you. Logs show that thread starter edited title to made it more descriptive.

MattKC said: The original title addressed the poor support experience the op was sharing, that was removed to have no mention of the bad support. Which sounds better: Bad support experience vs. Vps running after cancellation?

You like drama, don't you? :) Well, still no need to made up things. Old title before op edited it, was just short non descriptive generic: "ChicagoVPS complaints".
    I don't know about you, but I prefer useful titles which tells me what thread is actually about.

Thanked by 2MattKC Tritonio
  • MattKCMattKC Member
    edited November 2014

@Spirit said:
    I don't know about you, but I prefer useful titles which tells me what thread is actually about.

I see you left out where I said if it was the user I have no complaints. I actually don't like drama, but there have been some shady situations with the host in question on this board given his relationship with Biloh (and the actions of one particular forum mod) so apologies if I tend to err on the negative side when it comes cvps. Thank you for clarifying it was the user who made the change. It would be great if vanilla had an option requiring a reason be input for an edit to let the user say "title change, more detail, etc"(then i'd have had to tag this one three times now).

I agree descriptive titles are better.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2014

MattKC said: I see you left out where I said if it was the user I have no complaints.

Was this part of your original message before you edited it?

Anyway, considering that you barely became our member and you're already bothered about various business relationships at this forum made well before your time here I couldn't see your comment in any other light than jumping on bandwagon trying to make drama where there isn't any.
    Even if me or some other staff would replace generic "ChicagoVPS complaints" with more descriptive "ChicagoVPS - VPS running after cancellation" there's really nothing to complain about.

• "ChicagoVPS complaints" is better than "VPS running after cancellation".

When reading the first title most reader might think "Ah, same old story", "WTF all these haters", "Another one bite the dust".

When reading the second one, ex customer might think "WTH, I canceled it because it goes down and never get up and I still have my data in it", or some other will think "Hmm, maybe their tech are lazy". Some other will think "What if someone deliberately cancel it and plant a backdoor so one can anonymously disrupt the service anytime".

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2014

vRozenSch00n said: "ChicagoVPS complaints" is better than "VPS running after cancellation".

Yeah, maybe better from CVPS point of view, but not proper for thread itself? :)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2014

Spirit said: Yeah, maybe better from CVPS point of view, but not proper for thread itself? :)

Correct! Just like a two sided knife.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • A bit offtopic - did you notice any performance change to worse recently here? NJ was most of the time really good for me, but it seems like they recently capped port speed from old 1 Gbit to 100 Mbit and also I/O throughput speed seems every day worse.
    I really liked this NJ box before.

• I'll be right back with more popcorn ( although the thread is going too slow )

• @MattKC said:
    Looks like the thread titles are being "softened" for cvps again. Unless the op edited it himself, this is not the same title the thread started with. Bad support is still in the post tags though so at least that didn't get stripped too.

I edited it for the reason that Spirit guessed: More descriptive now. When I saw the title in the list of threads I thought that it didn't say much. I should have added to it instead of editing it to avoid the confusion although it would have gotten too long. :-/

Thanked by 2Spirit netomx
  • @MattKC said:
    The original title addressed the poor support experience the op was sharing, that was removed to have no mention of the bad support. Which sounds better: Bad support experience vs. Vps running after cancellation? They could have left the original title and added the "zombie" cancellation part but instead chose to alter the title the user chose that was by all accounts accurate and removed the negative. I don't have issue with changing titles that are intentionally misleading, that is not the case here. It was edited at 0907pm, he posted it at 1019 am. Now if he changed it, then I have no complaint.

Well the thread is already tagged as "bad support experience" or something like that. No need to have a title that adds nothing so I changed it to be more specific about the problem I had. Sorry for the confusion. :-D

• But the tag is "chicaco" not "chicago" :p

Thanked by 1Tritonio
  • Link to the 9 dollar/year with 2GB RAM please?

• @DalComp said:
    But the tag is "chicaco" not "chicago" :p

Fixed. "chicacovps" was suggested when I typed "chica"... Weird.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Tritonio said: Please note that I was talking about zombie processes; I was not calling the VPS a zombie, although it wouldn't be an imprecise word to describe it, heheh.

Good point. Yes, I understood the difference when I wrote my comment. I meant "Zombie VPS", as in the entire VPS "came back from the dead."

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2014

What we learn from your experience???

rm -fr *

then

poweroff

Before cancellation. ;p

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @DewlanceVPS said:
    rm -fr *

Ah the french, they always do things a bit different...

DewlanceVPS said: then

poweroff

Before cancellation. ;p

What you wrote will not work as you intended.

• Just stip trying, I still have one I haven't paid for 7 months

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    What we learn from your experience???

rm -fr *

then

poweroff

Before cancellation. ;p

What if the VPS has AutoBOOT? Would it spring back to life?

Thanked by 2netomx user123
  • @Spirit said:

No performance issues in NJ in regards to IO/connection speeds but it has just dropped pings randomly 24/7 since I got it, sometimes 2-3 times out of 20, sometimes 10-15 out of 20.

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • i have a seflow kvm vps running after cancelation for almost 1 year now.

Great uptime also... xDDD

• I wonder how many VPS zombies might be out there in total...

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Solusvm seems prone to that problem I gather?

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

ihatetonyy said: What if the VPS has AutoBOOT? Would it spring back to life?

Your email and mobile will be flooded with this message "Failed to recover vps xyz"

• MunMun Member
    edited November 2014

@jbiloh said:
    Solusvm seems prone to that problem I gather?

No, not in the slightest, this is stupid techs not setting up proper cron jobs, or someone at CVPS is snooping through old containers. I gather the latter, as CVPS doesn't care about privacy of there customers at all. Two hacks, and now someone snooping through containers.

Do CC techs work for them @Jbiloh, part of your VPS provider dealio or something where you take a cut of the profits?

• Mun said: snooping through old containers.

That's horrible!

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Mun said:
    No, not in the slightest, this is stupid techs not setting up proper cron jobs, or someone at CVPS is snooping through old containers. I gather the latter, as CVPS doesn't care about privacy of there customers at all. Two hacks, and now someone snooping through containers. [...]

Wow. It seems like a wild leap to me to conclude that ChicagoVPS is snooping through containers based on a single report of a container left running. A more reasonable and likely explanation is poor management by ChicagoVPS.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." (Hanlon's Razor)

Added later:

Note that if Chicago left a lot of "zombie VPSs" running (whether to snoop on them or not), they are wasting a pool of IP addresses that they cannot reuse for new customers. The zombie VPS in question had been running for almost one year. That's a long time to keep a VPS just for snooping. As I said, incompetence is more likely than snooping, although neither one is flattering for ChicagoVPS.

• How to install a backdoor ;p
    I'm always open for a free VM/VPS ;)