Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to buy dedicated servers ( machines ) for colocation online ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where to buy dedicated servers ( machines ) for colocation online ?

Hi,

Looking to buy few servers for colocation. Can the community suggest good vendors.

Thank You

Comments

• newegg.com.

• Which country?

• US / UK / FR ? DE

• @click4easy said:
    newegg.com.

not great if you want a full, ready built machine.

• wychwych Member
    edited November 2014

Cheaper Older HW in Bulk; eBay.

• @wych : Yes I see ebay - but is it trustable ?

• newegg is not good btw.

• @darknessends said:
    wych : Yes I see ebay - but is it trustable ?

Depends on the seller.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

deepdiscountservers.com sells on eBay. We've purchased some gear from them in the past.

• Yes I see ebay - but is it trustable ?

Check this buyer : http://www.ebay.com/usr/deepdiscountservers

Purchased some L5520 from them, all went smooth. There was a broken RAM & we got the another one after showing proofs :)

Also puchased from : http://www.ebay.com/usr/mobile_computer_pros

But they hadn't resetted the machine & IPMI has non-default creds & cost us some extra bucks to get it resetted.

• Specs? Budget?

• If you buy any 2nd hand servers run them at home for a week or month first to iron out any issues.

• I stopped using Newegg a while ago. At this point, Tigerdirect.com and CDW.com are, in my opinion, the best places to go.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2014

+1 for eBay. As always check the seller's recent feedback, etc.

So far, I have had no issues with my servers (or hard drives) sourced from eBay.

Edit: in fact it seems that quite a few dedicated server providers purchase via eBay (in bulk for deep discounts of course)

• superbiiz.com has decent pricing on SuperMicro gear.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

ebay all the way. You need to know a bit the site and sellers, but thousands of good feedback usually does not lie. I got some good deals in auctions, some dual l5520 with 36 GB ddr3 with 9 more free slots 300 Eur last year, 4 3.5 bays in 1u, sas/sata, redundant PSU. Workhorse, pulls less than 200 Watt at full load and 4 drives. No DVD, though, but who needs it with virtual media these days.

• Buying the old hardware - you better be READY AND AWARE that you WILL be paying more every month because of the much higher power usage than new gear.
    You will also suffer from any hardware failures like motherboard, PSU, backplane, etc as those parts will not be fast and easy to get replacements for.

Proper colocation companies will measure your power draw before racking your server(s), and you will be charged for the extra power if you order a simple 1Amp colo plan but your machine is pulling 2.5Amps.

Hope you are ready for that surprise if you don't know what you are doing and buying the old shit off ebay. Its on ebay for a reason, its been decommissioned after 4+ years of already being in use.

Thanked by 2DewlanceVPS Mark_R
  • @Maounique said:
    ebay all the way. You need to know a bit the site and sellers, but thousands of good feedback usually does not lie. I got some good deals in auctions, some dual l5520 with 36 GB ddr3 with 9 more free slots 300 Eur last year, 4 3.5 bays in 1u, sas/sata, redundant PSU. Workhorse, pulls less than 200 Watt at full load and 4 drives. No DVD, though, but who needs it with virtual media these days.

I thought that dual l5520 were powersucking beasts..

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
    There are some reputable suppliers there, you will find cheaper price than on eBay :)

Void_Whisperer said: I thought that dual l5520 were powersucking beasts..

I thought too and put it to mine. It stays all the time below 300 even at boot when is spinning up the disks and fans at maximum. That would be like 1.30 amps at 230 v and about double at 120. So, yeah, at maximum will be 2.5 or so, but it only draws like that at boot time, then stays at about 120 Watt (1 amp at 120 Volt) idle after fans are slowing down and goes back up to a bit over 200 W in full load. The lowest colo power allocation is 350 Watt so it does cover for all cases.
    Of course it cannot compare with atoms or even E3s, but it depends if your colo power plans are so fine tunable to account for lower power usage, we do not have plans below 350 Watt so it makes perfect sense to use one of these.

• If your in Chicago i have a couple of 1u dual cpu quad xeon ibm servers.

• @Maounique said:

Ha, now only if it was possible to find a place in Chicago to colo one of those for less than what I pay for a dedicated server at the moment..

• ItsChrisG said: Hope you are ready for that surprise if you don't know what you are doing and buying the old shit off ebay. Its on ebay for a reason, its been decommissioned after 4+ years of already being in use.

Servers are on ebay because the are out of sale and support contracts are end. For example DL380 G6 with dual L5520 are rocket solid today and can hold big amount of load. Hardware parts are really cheap and big available on ebay and other shops. You can do nothing wrong with this servers.

• turnkeyintenetturnkeyintenet Member, Host Rep

Dell is a good place for decent servers that are reliable (and include on-site waranty if you pay for it) - so you can have worry free colocation hardware. A number of our clients rely on Dell to drop-ship servers (new) and colocate them, and they appear far more reliable than colo clients who just build their own or grab something used off ebay.

edited November 2014

turnkeyintenet said: they appear far more reliable than colo clients who just build their own or grab something used off ebay.

New servers are more reliable than 3-4 yo hardware...
    Doh, of course, but it depends what you are after. If you only need a decent server with original parts which worked 3-4 years, then it is likely will hold 3-4 more years, if you are hosting critical applications, then one new server will not be sure enough, you need a couple at least AND in different facilities, if possible, with different providers.
    I always maintained that it will always cost you more and will have more problems with new hardware than setup one more redundancy with old hardware, tested for years.
    A hidden manufacturing defect or strange incompatibilities can ruin everything and, as you know, this will happen at the worst possible moment.

The chance a new server will fail is slightly smaller than an old one even well maintained, but that is counter-balanced by other failures only possible for new equipment, such as unpolished drivers and kernel unexpected behaviour in particular situations which can appear only on newer things which could not be tested yet in all possible scenarios, whereas a popular old type of server made in millions and in use for years will be almost free of such issues.

There is a reasonable catch, though, older servers deliver less performance per Watt and rack unit. So, if colo is really expensive and you have to be there, then you have no choice, it will break even in time.

• I hate to hijack this thread - but does anyone know good places to co-locate in Chicago? Preferably for < $80? I know this is probably an unrealistic expectation, just trying to gauge if I'd be better off keeping my dedicated server or colo'ing.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2014

@Void_Whisperer said:
    I thought that dual l5520 were powersucking beasts..

I typically see 1.5 - 1.75A (@120v) nominal with 4 x 2TB RE4. They (Dell C1100, for example) may be a bit power hungry, but they are reliable workhorses (8 cores/16 threads). No hardware issues in a couple of years with some of mine (sourced from eBay).