Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

kvm iso install very slow
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

kvm iso install very slow

I'm using solusvm, and when I install an iso on a kvm vps on my host node it takes forever, it works but it takes a very long time. I have tested it with windows and freebsd, any suggestions or things I can check?

Comments

• I'm Not familiar with SolusVM but have you tried enabling Virtio?

• no i haven't, i'll try that.

• zionvpszionvps Member
    edited November 2014

choose right kind of disk, partition and template generation,

check if your disk speed is too slow or some bad sectors,

check if loads on disks aren't already high due other kvm guests saturating it

• SolusVM & KVM well KVM will must be on slave while ISOs are on master.

What are pings from master to slave ?

If both are far from another so it's the issue.

• It's an iso so there is no partition or template generation.

• @conlustro said:
    It's an iso so there is no partition or template generation.

What's your raid config?try raid 0 for faster disk I/O and also try different disk cache config for better performance.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2014

robohost said: try raid 0

Uhm... to double/triple/quadruple/etc the chance of data loss when either of the drives fails...

Thanked by 1Shoaib_A
  • I'm using raid1, what cache configuration would you suggest I try?

• @Maounique said:
    Uhm... to double/triple/quadruple/etc the chance of data loss when either of the drives fails...

for my personal usage i prefer offsite backup than raid.

@conlustro said:
    I'm using raid1, what cache configuration would you suggest I try?

try it your self and you'll get your own prefered config,i'm using writethrough

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

robohost said: for my personal usage i prefer offsite backup than raid.

If only 2 quality drives, then the risk is acceptable, with more than 3-4, a raid 5 config will not bring performance too low while also offering protection in case one drive is lost.

• I contacted solusvm about this and they said it's normal. I'm having a client install FreeBSD right now from a dvd iso on a kvm vps, which takes about 2 hours. I'm having him test the performance after install.