Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is MySQL with InnoDB enabled on OpenVZ these days?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How is MySQL with InnoDB enabled on OpenVZ these days?

Two years ago I was running a 256 meg OVZ instance with MySQL 5.1. I attempted to upgrade to MySQL 5.5 however due to InnoDB being enabled by default it caused all sorts of issues. I was able to hack it despite package install issues, however I didn't see this as an ideal solution because I WANT to run InnoDB if possible as its the more modern storage engine. A friend of mine had a colocated server with VMWare ESXi so he gave me an instance there and that was the end of my memory woes. Now he may be getting rid of that server so I'm looking to move to a LEB again. I don't mind OVZ however I really want to be able to run InnoDB without a huge instance. I have heard that there is a new memory management model (vswap instead of userbeancounters). Would this fix the issue, or would a 256 meg OVZ instance still not be enough?

Comments

• What about a small dedicated servers - Dual X5150, 16GB RAM, 500GB disk - $20/month (paid quarterly). That will let you forget about OVZ or sharing resources with someone else.

http://www.delimitervps.com/landingpage/blades/?p=X515016500&l=Atlanta

• Check out MariaDB, its a drop-in replacement for MySQL and has better performance.

• ItsChrisG said: Check out MariaDB, its a drop-in replacement for MySQL

Doesnt come with InnoDB itself though.

• @alessio said:
    Doesnt come with InnoDB itself though.

I'm looking up MariaDB right now, it seems the XtraDB storage engine is the replacement for InnoDB.

to use memory more efficiently

That's in the doc for XtraDB, so it may be worth a try.

• I've found that I can reduce memory usage better in MySQL than MariaDB. I have an Observium database on a Ramnode box. The lowest I can get in MariaDB is ~50mb. The same database I can hit ~21mb in MySQL.

ItsChrisG said: Check out MariaDB, its a drop-in replacement for MySQL and has better performance.

It is not a drop-in replacement. There are quite a few tickets on Zarafa because of MariaDB is not fully compatible with MySQL.

• @Silvenga said:
    I've found that I can reduce memory usage better in MySQL than MariaDB. I have an Observium database on a Ramnode box. The lowest I can get in MariaDB is ~50mb. The same database I can hit ~21mb in MySQL.

It is not a drop-in replacement. There are quite a few tickets on Zarafa because of MariaDB is not fully compatible with MySQL.

All depends on what you are doing with it. For most uses it works.

• I think it would work on 256megs OVZ, but try to buy a plan for a month and try your specific config. Otherwise, KVMs are also cheap nowadays if you have doubts with OVZ

• ItsChrisG said: All depends on what you are doing with it. For most uses it works.

Then we shouldn't call it a "drop in replacement" because we can't "drop" it in. Rather we should call it an alternative to MySQL, nothing more.

• To answer your original question, yes VSwap fixes the OpenVZ memory issues that affected MySQL with InnoDB and other software.

• On Mysql 5.6 + & Mariadb versions --- Innodb is the default storage engine. You dont have to do anything special. It is activated out of the box.

Innodb is good for write intensive scenarios and if you are running a normal wordpress site / other similar read intensive sites, you'd be better off using MyISAM where just disabling Innodb will reduce Mysql to ~15mb and you'll find tweaks here and elsewhere where you could tweak as low as 5mb (my useful lowest was 8mb)

Tldr

Innodb - row level locking - write intensive applications MyISAM - Table level locking - Read intensive application (wordpress)

256mb box + Innodb = No (Possible but not recommended)

• @ez2uk said:
    Innodb is good for write intensive scenarios and if you are running a normal wordpress site / other similar read intensive sites, you'd be better off using MyISAM where just disabling Innodb will reduce Mysql to ~15mb

+1

I'm running several low volume WordPress sites on a single 128 MB VPS using MyISAM; total MySQL memory footprint is about 15 MB.