Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which version of PROXMOX is the most stable one?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which version of PROXMOX is the most stable one?

I have some SSD servers and I found the servers of proxmox 3.1 and 3.3 are all so slow and unstable. which version of PROXMOX is stable? if 3.1 and 3.3 are both not, then the problem is with these servers.

Comments

• I'm using the latest version, and I haven't had any problems. I'm not using SSD servers, though I doubt that would effect the stability of Proxmox.

• nexmarknexmark Member
    edited November 2014

This node is a production node and has no problems and or issues at all with performance and stability.

• Is it the 250gb ssd?

• @lewissue said:
    which version of PROXMOX is stable? if 3.1 and 3.3 are both not, then the problem is with these servers.

I run latest version, I think the issue may be with the config rather than the servers themselves.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • All versions stable for me...

• I've used all versions from 1.5 up to current with various configs on Squeeze and Wheezy and never had any stability issues.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Thanked by 3xDutchy Falzo ATHK
  • @geekalot said:
    I've used all versions from 1.5 up to current with various configs on Squeeze and Wheezy and never had any stability issues.

So do I.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited November 2014

I go hole way up 3.1 3.3-5... on a supermicro chassis, ecc ram... hypervisor is dam stable... never got an issue with it, got some stability problem inside one of the VM-s but that is not related to proxmox but to guest os...

PS I'm curious in do anyone here use enterprise repo ?

• @AnthonySmith said:

This was revised by Deep Thought some time ago. It's 43 now, there has been a rounding error after a nasty division by cucumber.

• emreemre Member, LIR

Amitz said: @AnthonySmith said: 42

This was revised by Deep Thought some time ago. It's 43 now

Nein, It's Lewis Hamilton!

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2014

@emre said:

Doch! Hamilton was 44.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • emreemre Member, LIR
    edited November 2014

back to topic: there is nothing called as "stable proxmox version" 3.x is the current branch and you must use it anyway.

there is a bug I ran into when installing proxmox 3.2 and 3.3 into haswell motherboards of some kind.After installation system stucks at black screen and does not boot, but it can also be fixed by installing 3.1 and upgrading it later.

Proxmox " deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pve-no-subscription " repo is very stable for me for the whole 50 or so proxmox boxes...

Thanked by 2coolice linuxthefish
  • @emre said:
    there is a bug I ran into when installing proxmox 3.2 and 3.3 into haswell motherboards of some kind.After installation system stucks at black screen and does not boot, but it can also be fixed by installing 3.1 and upgrading it later.

Strange, I must be lucky as I never encountered this.

• What are the status of your SSDs? What does the health data on them look like? Are they dying?

• @MarkTurner said:
    What are the status of your SSDs? What does the health data on them look like? Are they dying?

they are not dying.... i open 30 JingLing VPS on 1 SSD+Memory Cache and got so slow, but some buddy running SolusVM is running 50 on same spec

• LOL, that probably is destroying your SSD quite happily. Depending on the quality/specification of your SSD and controller will determine the IOPS that you can expect. Your friend's server probably has a higher spec SSD and controller.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @MarkTurner said:
    LOL, that probably is destroying your SSD quite happily. Depending on the quality/specification of your SSD and controller will determine the IOPS that you can expect. Your friend's server probably has a higher spec SSD and controller.

it's 80000IOps isn't that enough?

• @lewissue said:
    I open 30 JingLing VPS

Thats your issue buddy.

• You need to study the REAL performance, not something off a marketing sheet.

• coolicecoolice Member
    edited November 2014

@lewissue said:
    they are not dying.... i open 30 JingLing VPS on 1 SSD+Memory Cache and got so slow, but some buddy running SolusVM is running 50 on same spec

I remember you you are the guy with 25 vps-es on one node not getting 25 times resources (or something similar) scam - drama thread form September around the time i register here, glad you listen to the LET advice get a dedi and virtualize it...

I'm not completely sure in my first statement cause I use Solus only for evaluation 15 days (it didn't fit my purposes) - think i read that it by default setup file system to work in writeback mode, Proxmox do not do that... but you can do it yourself hope you setup it with ext4 http://blog.smartlogicsolutions.com/2009/06/04/mount-options-to-improve-ext4-file-system-performance/

does your buddy has different setup on guests? ... I read here that this jinglinging thing is writing hard in temp folder so you can mount temp in ram...

• @coolice said:
    I read here that jinglinging thing is writing hard in temp folder so you can mount temp in ram...

Yeah some do that, although it would be better to just not run Jingling in the first place.

• @coolice said:

yes, temp is mounted...

• then ask your buddy to check for the writeback and check how it is setup on your Proxmox