Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH vs Online.net
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH vs Online.net

I'm looking for the best server with the following configuration:
Xeon E3 or Better
32GB RAM+
Cheapest 1TB SSD
1Gbps Unmetered Bandwidth
DDOS Protection.

Please post your experience with ovh or online.net on support, quality & speed.

Looking to sell your server with similar config at OVH/Online.net?
I may also be interested to buy your OVH/Online.net server with similar specs at a reasonable price!

Poll
  1. Support:110 votes
    1. OVH
      16.36%
    2. Online.net
      83.64%
  2. Hardware110 votes
    1. OVH
      53.64%
    2. Online.net
      46.36%
  3. Network Speed110 votes
    1. OVH
      40.91%
    2. Online.net
      59.09%
  4. DDOS Protection110 votes
    1. OVH
      84.55%
    2. Online.net
      15.45%

Comments

• To be honest, the OVH support is about as good as the support you could get from my dog... If not worse. OVH Network speed is normally okay, but there "Guaranteed" is not often there, the DDos protection is okay though. I cant speak for online.net, I have yet to use them.

Hope it helps.

• online wins with everything imo except DDOS Protection.

where the network speed on OVH is capped to 250Mbps (for SYS) on online it's not.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • online.net beats OVH nearly in every category.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited November 2014

I cannot vote cause both are good

Online.net do not have bigger than 120 GB SSD Drives that's the big minus

On online net you need to pay addittionaly for the Arbor Protection but before that you have to uprade to business level

IP's are more expensive

their pluses
    Online net actually got support you can expect answers in reasonable time

Brand HP / Dell hardware with guarantee

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited November 2014

Ovh beats Online-net when its comes to price to Performace. Most seedbox belongs to Ovh so downloading torrent on Ovh is faster.

• I don't know how OVH managed that 15.56% in Support. It should clearly have been 0% because that's what they offer ZERO support.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Devil said: I don't know how OVH managed that 15.56% in Support. It should clearly have been 0% because that's what they offer ZERO support.

They do offer very limited support to the premium customers. They aren't very helpful, but there is some. Online.net doesn't shine either.

• Regarding support... "you get what you pay for" I guess. I mean the monthly fee is so low that the margin per server can't be that high and if you have to pay staff on top of that...

They push the prices toward the bottom and it's pretty profitable but for that they have to cut costs!

• Well, my support experience with online.net is not bad at all. During their business times (you are lost during the weekend and off business times), they have always been quite decent for me.

• I could only answer support, which would be Online.net since I only used OVH for a VPS, but I know if I got the cheapest one (I have the 2Eur Online server) it would be forum only, whereas I've had to use Online support and they're good.

• If I had to choose between these two for a serious project, I would definitely choose online.net

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

Online.net is owned by Iliad group, a french telecommunication provider

I bet Iliad datacenters runs almost on cost price

Servers at 2€, who else?

Iliad had 3.7 billion € revenue in 2013, they better have a decent support with such amount of cash

• I called OVHs support up 3 times yesterday and didn't have to hold at all. I don't know why people bash OVHs support so badly. I never had problems with the SYS servers I had.

With that said though, the network at online seems much better. I do wish they offered a NA location though.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2014

OVH support is awful, yes you might get a good day but trust me, on the day you really need them you are screwed. Online on the other hand is the complete opposite, always there and always helpful.

Overall I would recommend Online.net.

I know people are loving the free (one off payment) 16 ips and more at a low cost with OVH however bear in mind it was not that long ago you made one off payments for IP addresses and they then stopped that with no care for the existing clients. It will happen again.

• for online with a LTS range server on the default anti ddos plan (the one included in the price) it easily mitigated a 1hr long DDOS of avg ~ 17Gbps and max 31Gbps | 3M p/s

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @W1V_Lee said:
    OVH support is awful, yes you might get a good day but trust me, on the day you really need them you are screwed. Online on the other hand is the complete opposite, always there and always helpful.

Overall I would recommend Online.net.

I know people are loving the free (one off payment) 16 ips and more at a low cost with OVH however bear in mind it was not that long ago you made one off payments for IP addresses and they then stopped that with no care for the existing clients. It will happen again.

Yes SYS/KS support is bad but OVH is support is much better. They reply within an hour or 2 & try to actually resolve the issues. But since most people here use KS/SYS or their VPS, they do not know how good the OVH support is especially if your server is one of the 2014 lineups or you've got PRO support option.

Thanked by 1joshin
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2014

@K2Bytes

Yes, I understand that, however firstly the market here is not really an OVH one but more importantly it makes no difference with online.net what server you have, support is consistent.

Even with OVH I get replies to tickets weeks after they were submitted. It's really hit and miss, some good days some bad.

• Online.net does not provide RAID 10 options, OVH will.
    It is a very important factor.

• LeeLee Veteran

@darknessends said:
    Online.net does not provide RAID 10 options, OVH will.
    It is a very important factor.

When did they start that? However it depends on what you want the service for as to whether raid 10 is important I suspect for most users it's not that important.

• OVH and SYS is good but no Kimsufi for OVH group.

• When online.net mentions that servers are available upon request, how can we request it? Their support line is in French :/

• DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2014

@WellGrounded said:
    When online.net mentions that servers are available upon request, how can we request it? Their support line is in French :/

They do English tickets:

https://console.online.net/en/assistance/ticket

• I can receive their replies about 6 Hours at Online.net, at least 3Days once at Kimsufi and 1Day at OVH.

• OVHs support is only fast when you have hardware related issues and a true OVH server (not SYS or kimsufi). My last broken hard drive was replaced within 30 mins after I have opened a incident ticket.

• @WellGrounded said:
    When online.net mentions that servers are available upon request, how can we request it? Their support line is in French :/

Don't bother to contact them about the availability of servers. "Upon Request" is their way of saying "Sold Out, check back later". Within the first week of each month (and in between), most servers are back in stock.

• Thanks for saving me the hassle :)