Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The clock of OVZ node is not accurate, but provider refuse to correct it.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The clock of OVZ node is not accurate, but provider refuse to correct it.

One of my openvz vps's clock is several minutes later than NTP clock, so I ask the provider to correct it on the Host Node, I told them if they don't like enable NTP on the node, at least run ntpdate once,

But they refuse to correct the clock, the reason is that they have many customers on the node, not only me, so they can't correct the clock for one person,

I can't understand this logic, is this an unreasonable request? I think that keep the node's clock accurate is the most basic principle in hosting industry, don't they think so?

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2014

The provider is lame, change it.

• @rds100 said:
    The provider is lame, change it.

Agreed.

• Absolutely a reason to move. Who is the host?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2014

That (and similar b/s) is the reason why you should never ever buy OpenVZ.

• The host should change it. Link them here and if they still refuse to change it, move.

• @rm_ said:
    That (and similar b/s) is the reason why you should never ever buy OpenVZ.

The provider's incompetence is not the platform's fault though.

Thanked by 2trexos ucxo
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2014

alessio said: The provider's incompetence is not the platform's fault though.

With OpenVZ you leave a lot more avenues for the provider's incompetence to affect you.
    Setting date/time is just one; enabling TUN/TAP is another; loading custom modules is yet another (such as FUSE and various iptables stuff); and then ensuring TUN/TAP and your custom modules stay that way after they reboot the node (apparently the latter is super-difficult for some providers).

That's not even going into the whole "peeking into the users' containers" glass house aspect of OVZ.

Thanked by 2Mark_R ucxo
  • rm_ said: With OpenVZ you leave a lot more avenues for the provider's incompetence to affect you.

This is true, but it is still the provider's incompetence and not the platform's. I equally wouldnt want to have such a provider with Xen.

• rds100 said: The provider is lame, change it.

+1

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

said: But they refuse to correct the clock, the reason is that they have many customers on the node

brilliant, I refuse to vaccinate anyone because then everyone would want vaccination!

• Thanks everyone, the issue have been resolved :)

@mpkossen @Spirit please close this thread, thanks :p

• @hotsnow said:
    But they refuse to correct the clock, the reason is that they have many customers on the node, not only me, so they can't correct the clock for one person,

how much the hellck they put the customers vm in that single node?!
    I guess it's an overselling. get a new host.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

It might be reasonable if they were to state that the correction of a time would take place within a short period of time as scheduled maintenance for this reason alone. However to not fix a known issue should not be acceptable, find a new provider.

This discussion has been closed.