Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exchange 2013 - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Exchange 2013

2»

Comments

• Try open-xchange or Blue Mind

• If upon sending mail your message get stuck in the Drafts folder (if using OWA), verify that you have set the DNS servers accordingly within Exchange, and not just only on your NIC. You'd be able to set it in EAC > Servers, edit your server, DNS lookups and configure internal and external DNS lookups with the right NIC. Subsequently in your mail flow tab adjust / create the send and receive connectors and don't forget to build your list of accepted domains.

If you send an e-mail from external to your exchange server, which won't get delivered, what's the message the NDR is giving you in return?

• Maybe this is not neccesary to mention.... but do check that your transport service is started...

• ItsChrisG said: theres no way to compare exchange email services to simple old, shitty POP3/IMAP

Aside from syncing contacts, calendars, and tasks, what does exchange email do better than POP3/IMAP/SMTP?

• @rajprakash: Exchange transport rules are easy to configure. They reroute incoming emails in very flexible ways; we use them a lot. Also: Exchange has a built-in mechanism to centrally archive emails (this requires a special client access license), basically the enabled user has two mailboxes, and email can flow from the primary to the archival one. It is easy to grant access rights to another user's selected mailbox folders, and to recover deleted emails.

I believe that most Exchange mail-related functions can be recreated on a open mail server, but the required effort is not worth the expense for a small organization (tens to few hundreds users); on top of that, according to my experience, it is difficult to find skilled support beyond the basics on open mail servers.
    On a bigger installation with a dedicated linux administrator the opposite may be true.

• elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
    edited November 2014

@SNetworks1 said:
    using Rainloop as the web based interface

Hadn't heard of rainloop before. Even though I deal with Exchange 90% of the time, I'm always on the lookout for new/(RoundCube alternatives) IMAP/POP3 WebGUI's.

• @elijahpaul said:
    Hadn't heard of rainloop before. Even though I deal with Exchange 90% of the time, I'm always on the lookout for new/(RoundCube alternatives) IMAP/POP3 WebGUI's.

Rainloop is probably the best option for this, I can confidently say that RoundCube is not my ideal and is one of the big reasons I chose not to go back to cPanel before.

Thanked by 1elijahpaul
  • I'll definitely try it out.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Take a look at Smartermail. They claim to be an exchange alternative, and is as simple as cPanel to install and use.

Thanked by 1SNetworks1
  • Also - you might want to consider Zentyal - Open Source Exchange. We have been playing about with it recently, and so far - impressed.

• Native compatibility with Microsoft® Exchange Server Protocols
    • Native compatibility with Microsoft Active Directory®
    • Multiple Virtual Mail Domain
    • Email, calendars, contacts
    • Webmail
    • Supported email clients
    • Synchronization with mobile devices

http://www.zentyal.org/server/

• @timodig said:
    Also - you might want to consider Zentyal - Open Source Exchange. We have been playing about with it recently, and so far - impressed.

• Native compatibility with Microsoft® Exchange Server Protocols
    • Native compatibility with Microsoft Active Directory®
    • Multiple Virtual Mail Domain
    • Email, calendars, contacts
    • Webmail
    • Supported email clients
    • Synchronization with mobile devices

http://www.zentyal.org/server/

Thanks, if we decide we want to change our email servers again this does look like the closest option to Exchange without having to mess with the install of Exchange.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

What about open x-change?