Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some IaaS KVM/Xen thingy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for some IaaS KVM/Xen thingy

SetsuraSetsura Member
edited October 2014 in Requests

Hi, I suck at explaining things, so I'm gonna use bullet points to get across what I'm looking for. Things I really would need are in bold.

• Hourly billing
  • High-availability
  • Floating IP addresses
  • Decent CPU policy since there would probably be at least 1 load at all times for one instance
  • Private network
  • Some kind of cheap detachable volumes, I'd need to scale 1TB+, raid or something would be nice too
  • SSD volumes or high IO HDD volumes
  • West coast US preferred

I'm not really adverse to paying decently for the above, however the decent priced storage volumes seems to be uncommon in the sizes I'd need. I believe iwStack has all of this, however I'd prefer something more West Coast than Dallas. If you know of a decent option, even if it isn't west coast I'd appreciate you letting me know.

Comments

• matthewvzmatthewvz Member, Host Rep

Maybe Quadranet's Infracloud in LA?

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited October 2014

@matthewvz said:
    Maybe Quadranet's Infracloud in LA?

They seem to charge 15 cents per GB of disk storage monthly. Which ends up 150 USD for 1TB. Pretty unreasonable IMO compared to other available options. Thanks though, that might be useful for something else I'm doing.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

IWStack, i am afraid will not cut it in Dallas. That is with local SSD storage, you cannot mount cheap SATA-based SAN volumes, nor does it have virtual routers and Internal networking. We were unable to deal with the people there in a way which would offer enough guarantees for the necessary infrastructure to be installed there and give a similar level of service as in Milano.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited October 2014

@Maounique said:
    IWStack, i am afraid will not cut it in Dallas. That is with local SSD storage, you cannot mount cheap SATA-based SAN volumes, nor does it have virtual routers and Internal networking. We were unable to deal with the people there in a way which would offer enough guarantees for the necessary infrastructure to be installed there and give a similar level of service as in Milano.

So Dallas doesn't actually have some of the main features listed on the iwstack page? That is kinda a letdown, but I suppose it is still a good looking service if I need it in Europe.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2014

Well, you just dont send 150k Eur SANs to DCs where people first deny a problem wasting many hours in blaming other people instead of trying to fix it, people also insisted on SSD (which in a serious SAN with tons of caching and distributed volumes do not make much of a difference anyway) so we thought that is a way to say we do have IWStack in Dallas when actually it is more like a DO with a few extra features such as random ISO.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • @Maounique said:
    Well, you just dont send 150k Eur SANs to DCs where people first deny a problem wasting many hours in blaming other people instead of trying to fix it, people also insisted on SSD (which in a serious SAN with tons of caching and distributed volumes do not make much of a difference anyway) so we thought that is a way to say we do have IWStack in Dallas when actually it is more like a DO with a few extra features such as random ISO.

Right, I do recall the history of issues in the Dallas location for you. It makes sense you wouldn't want to send too much expensive gear there. Still a shame, I had thought iwStack could be my fallback option if I couldn't find something on the west coast. Thanks for the insight regarding iwStack.

• @setsura SoftLayer can offer that. They have one facility in San Jose and I believe they plan to open one in Los Angeles as well.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • @velayer said:
    setsura SoftLayer can offer that. They have one facility in San Jose and I believe they plan to open one in Los Angeles as well.

Didn't know they had an offering like that, pricing isn't bad either. Could be a legit option to consider. Thanks for that.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

Not west coast, but we have cloud services in Toronto. There are two storage types you can select from for the same price, local fast SSD-cached storage or distributed filesystem storage, if you select the latter then you get high availability features. We use floating IP addresses (you can control detaching/attaching through the control panel and/or API) and hourly billing. You can also create virtual networks for $4/mo, although communication between VM is unmetered anyway. We have detachable volumes at $0.04/GB, the maximum size is 500 GB from the panel but we can create larger ones if you contact us.

We do not have high I/O volumes though, only the local storage would support high I/O. Also we do have fair share CPU policy where CPU usage should be less than 20% per virtual core on average.

See here for details: https://lunanode.com and https://wiki.lunanode.com

-

There's also CloudSigma in San Jose.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • @perennate said:
    Post goes here

Thanks, I was aware of your service actually. I tried it a long time back, didn't have some of the stuff I needed back then. I'll have a look now again. Also, by free between VMs, do you mean you assign some internal IPs globally that are free? Or just make note of traffic between your IP ranges and don't count it?

• RunAbove maybe? You get one dedicated core

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Setsura said: Thanks, I was aware of your service actually. I tried it a long time back, didn't have some of the stuff I needed back then. I'll have a look now again. Also, by free between VMs, do you mean you assign some internal IPs globally that are free? Or just make note of traffic between your IP ranges and don't count it?

Virtual machines are assigned a static private IP address. A floating IP address is attached to that private IP address. Traffic sent within the default virtual network (on a private subnet) is not metered, only traffic that exits to Internet is.

Thanked by 1Setsura
  • cassa said: RunAbove maybe? You get one dedicated core

+1

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited November 2014

@cassa said:
    RunAbove maybe? You get one dedicated core

@Maniac said:
    +1

They don't offer any large storage volumes. They do have object storage, however that isn't what I need.

Thanks though.

@perennate said:
    Virtual machines are assigned a static private IP address. A floating IP address is attached to that private IP address. Traffic sent within the default virtual network (on a private subnet) is not metered, only traffic that exits to Internet is.

Neat, I may try it.