Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help choosing a VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help choosing a VPS

lardolardo Member
edited October 2011 in Help

Well, around 4 days ago I stumbled into this site and found the idea of a having a VPS neat, even not having the need for one is something fun to play with and useful to use as a small minecraft server, backup, always-on personal ftp server, etc, and at 14/yr for a basic vps I couldn’t resist and bought it from AlienVPS. I played around with it but in 4 days they had 2 several hour offtime and around when I try to do anything resource intensive sometimes the server simply crashes (does not answer ssh or anything, have to reboot), dd tests show speeds bellow 3MB/s, etc. While their service is unusable I liked playing around with it and I will get a more 'serious' (but still low end) VPS.

So what I'm looking for: A preferably XEN (trough OpenVZ is acceptable) good VPS that has around 256 RAM (512 if possible), 30gb storage, 400gb transfer, decent network/disk speeds and permits irc, proxy, gameservers, vpn, etc for MAX $5/month. Is there any providers that have an offer like this that you have an personal experience with and are good? It looks like there are a LOT of providers that oversell too much, vanish after a couple months, good at first but after they get unusable, etc, so I would like something that has been proven to be good. Recommendations?

Comments

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited October 2011

lardo said: use as a small minecraft server

Just some things to think about:

Some VPS servers have automatic cron jobs that kill JAVA processes (ie. minecraft).

Additionally, Minecraft's JAVA usage doesn't work well within small VPS servers.

• @kiloserve
    Whoa, I didn't know that. Sad really.

Well it would be a very small minecraft server (around 5 people online at time max) so I think it could be feasible. Anyways, if the resources are not enough I will simply not run it, it is not important really.

• My first stop would be the review section. The requirements ask for are not unattainable but always remember the saying "you get what pay for" .

• quality servers offers minecraft hosting

• I already had a look there but I wanted to see if somebody has a VPS with similar setup that works well and recommends. I might go with lower specs for the same price if I can't find a good server with that setup for that price, is asking for no/little downtime and not heavily oversold server much?

• @daimonb
    I'm looking for a VPS to play around and, among other things, possibly host a minecraft server, I'm not looking specifically not a minecraft server really.

• sorry its like 1.30 am here so only half read lol.

• Have a look at BuyVM.net - they meet your needs and don't auto kill java processes :)

• ChicagoVPS... more mem than you need but meets all of your other reqs. Check out lowendbox for their latest offer

• cedric said: Have a look at BuyVM.net - they meet your needs and don't auto kill java processes :)

BuyVM for sure ... only no stock since August ... release the ponies

• Might want to search the main site as minecraft has been discussed at some length:

http://www.lowendbox.com/?s=minecraft&searchsubmit=Find

• @cedric
    While they look good and lots of people recommend it, it is out of stock for a long time, so they are not an option.

@rkrazy
    Will have a look, have you used them personally?

• @rkrazy
    Well, I just had a look at them but I wanted something max $5/month, they charge $7 and have only 10GB disk space, the rest of the specs look fine, but too expensive and little storage space.

@drmike
    Thanks, but I'm not really interested into a minecraft server, it is just some neat thing I could do with a VPS.

• @lardo yes and I still use them. No issues in the past 2 mos knocking on wood ... only time my vps went down is due to manual reboot and os reload

• @rkrazy
    Sorry, I found they offer on LEB and seems very good, how about uptime, overselling, etc?

• @lardo --- http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-5-1gb-openvz-vps-in-chicago/

latest promo is $5/m recur for 1gb/30gb/1.5tb

• @rkrazy
    Could you post some dd, network, etc tests if that is not asking too much? =)
    So overall they are a good provider?

• All LEB providers using OVZ oversell to some degree... they have to eat... uptime is good, server has been very stable for me. So far I have nothing to complain about.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

rkrazy said: BuyVM for sure ... only no stock since August ... release the ponies

October 15th.

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    --2011-10-08 01:07:10--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[==================>] 104,857,600 11.0M/s   in 9.2s

2011-10-08 01:07:19 (10.8 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600]

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync && rm -f test
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 14.4434 s, 74.3 MB/s

ioping -c 10 .
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=1 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=2 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=3 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=4 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=5 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=6 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=7 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=8 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=9 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (simfs /dev/simfs): request=10 time=0.3 ms

--- . (simfs /dev/simfs) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9009.0 ms, 7479 iops, 29.2 mb/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 0.1/0.1/0.3/0.1 ms

• @rkrazy
    Thanks a lot! They look real good for the price, I'll search more but if they deliver what they promise I'm probably buying from them

• lardo said: They look real good for the price, I'll search more but if they deliver what they promise I'm probably buying from them

We also have a VPS with ChicagoVPS, it's a good value. If you have any issues, just open a ticket before complaining here, they are friendly and want to do good by the customer.

• Francisco said: October 15th.

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

don't tease us! just set my reminder. Have acct credit burning a hole in my pocket.

@lardo ... np

• Bitcable (KVM) is pretty good, except they don't allow irc.

• @circus
    I'll have a look. Why is irc disallowed on so many places? I can't see why it is so nasty, or it just uses too much resources?

• I just had a look into bitcable and it is too expensive, may be because they offer kvm.

• @lardo, I believe their datacenter doesn't allow irc. Yeah you are correct, I just check and their promotional code from here -> http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/226/bitcable-awesome-kvms-with-50-off-4.00-mo-256-mb-ram is already expired. ^_^

• fanfan Veteran

circus said: r doesn't allow irc. Yeah you are correct, I just check and their promotional code from here -> http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/226/bitcable-awesome-kvms-with-50-off-4.00-mo-256-mb-ram is already expired. ^_^

Hmm, I found that too and @Bitcable replied me that it will not come back. Hostigation is also great, give it a try.

• All LEB providers using OVZ oversell to some degree... they have to eat... uptime is good, server has been very stable for me. So far I have nothing to complain about.

That's not necessarily true.

Also to OP -- why are you limiting your search to OVZ/XEN? There are more enterprise-grade alternatives like VMWare that will give you better performance PLUS the ability to customize your kernel. Perhaps it's cost....

• @vmstormvps
    Yes, it is because of cost, I doubt I will find a KVM or VMWare server with that specs for that price.