Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Choosing a shop cart system
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Choosing a shop cart system

KupolKupol Member
edited October 2014 in General

Hello guys,

I would like to start an online shop. I have fair amount of knowledge with Unix-like systems and BSD, but when it comes to a shop cart software I'm clueless. I imagine few of you guys have had experience running and or maintaining such software so I would like to hear your opinions and recommendations which software would suit my needs the best. My requirements are:

1. Security is number one priority.
    It shouldn't have security hole by design.
  2. Easy to scale for the future.
  3. Not hassle to maintain.

As this online store will target local people I will host it in my country on a VPS with following specs:
2core@ 3GHz
1024RAM
15GB SSD

It should be enough for the start. As a failover system I will use Kimisufi, if something breaks with the main VM.

I was looking in Opencart directions and if possible I would like to avoid Prestashop.

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2014

Common platforms I see being used and work on is Shopify, Opencart & WooCommerce.

• +1 for shopify though.

If you're still not convinced with any of those you could always go on freenlance / elance and get someone do it on magento / plan frameworks for you.

• WooCommerce is nice and easy to update we never had a problem with it.

Opencart had security issues in the past and the owner is an very arrogant and abusive on the support forum.

• WooCommerce anyday, but try to modify those purple buttons and tabs.

• I have been using Prestashop for over a year now and I am happy with the software. The support is really bad though, one of the moderators of the forum is a real asshole and is very aggressive.

The software is ok though, small quirks but the shop is very usable.

http://prestashop.com

• @VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    +1 for shopify though.

Maybe its just me but I prefer self hosted.

• @wych said:
    Maybe its just me but I prefer self hosted.

By the looks of OP's experience I suggested that. I prefer mine confined to my hosted solution too...

• No ... definitely not shopify

• Thank you for recommendations. To clarify few things I want only self hosted solution. I will check all of them, of course. Keep them coming.

• We manage a few online shops and use Magento (10k products) which does work well and very scalable. We use Opencart for smaller projects (100-500 products) and it's fine, but not as scalable as Magento and more difficult to update prices and stock etc. We have used Woocommerce for adding ordering to Wordpress sites but never really got on with it (never really used it in anger). Tried loads of others but found nothing better for self-hosted than these (CS-cart is good but not used it other than testing). Next one I want to try is Amazon Webstore but that's not self hosted.

• We've played some with oscommerce and found that to be pretty full featured. Never put it into production use though. Have also heard good feedback on Magento.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited October 2014

On the contrary... Opencart easily scales to 500 categories and 50000 products on a regular vps....And with proper tweaking it flies even at 1000 categories... (with opencart it is the category not the number of products which create bottlenecks

• Used to work for web development company and our developers use Magento most of the time for e-commerce websites :)

• for 1G server, Magento should not be used. It is much more resource hungry. Opencart had some security issues reported in past, but then: which software does not have a good share of past security bugs?
    In my view opencart is good to be used. However, don't go yet with version 2, which is come out very recently. Version 1.5.6.4 is good enough, which I use as of now to develop eCommerce sites for many of my clients.
    All the best!

• Version 1.5.6.4

+1