Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows on Kimsufi, yes again...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows on Kimsufi, yes again...

conlustroconlustro Member
edited October 2014 in Help

I tried to post a reply to one of the other threads on here, but they were all closed or too old. So here we go again. I really don't want to pay $35 to have windows installed so I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with KS-4 using the following method: https://joodle.nl/install-windows-on-a-kimsufi-server/ ?

I can't get it to ping or RD with Win Serv 2008 R2.

Comments

• Joodle's page already answers your question, no?

Update: I have been getting a lot (and with a lot i mean 25+ a day) of emails about Windows on the KS-4 lately, the only Windows Template that works on the KS-4 is the Windows 8.1 Template. I will not answer any emails anymore about the KS-4 saying that when you have installed Windows Server the server doesn’t respond to any pings and that RDP doesn’t work.

• The Kimsufi staff just booted my KS-4 into Windows Rescue Mode for me, I'm trying to repair the MBR right now, I'll post back with the result.

• I think it's not about MBR, it's about network driver, you should install Windows 8.1 or Windows 2012 R2 instead :)

• There is nothing wrong with MBR on any of images on any of server.

You just have to install NIC drivers through KVM (If you have).

• Thanks for the replies. I gave up on win serv 2008 r2, but windows 7 works. I'm building a custom template right now for windows 7 pro with my license in solusvm.

• conlustroconlustro Member
    edited October 2014

EDIT: I didn't have the right NIC card selected in solusvm, luckily it has the exact same one my motherboard uses at kimsufi, I'm installing the updated drivers now from intel.

I'm trying to create a template for Kimsufi using solusvm. I go into solusvm and install windows 7 and configure it how I want following the directions here: https://joodle.nl/how-to-create-your-own-windows-template-for-kimsufi/ (turning off firewall, enabling remote desktop, etc), then I run on the host node:

dd if=/dev/vps/kvm103_img | gzip -1 | dd of=/var/www/html/win7pro.gz

And then I run on the kimsufi server:

wget -O- --no-check-certificate 'http://host-node-ip/win7pro.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

It uploads to the kimsufi server fine with no errors, but I cannot connect to it. I installed windows 7 ultimate using this guide: https://joodle.nl/install-windows-on-a-kimsufi-server/ and it worked, but I can't get my template to work. Any ideas, what am I doing wrong?

Upon booting into rescue mode after the install, when I run fdisk -l I get:

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *        2048      206847      102400    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2          206848   125827071    62810112    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

It looks good to me!

• Hello, the tutorial you mentioned is for Windows 8 and Windows 2012. I think in Windows 7/Windows 2008 you have to do sysprep to make OS run on new hardware: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721940(v=ws.10).aspx

• supick said: have to do sysprep to make OS run on new hardware

nope, not 99% of the time. the problem the OP has is the network from my understanding. i actually got this working some time back but it's not 100% stable.

• Hello, I tested my Windows 2008 R2 template on a Dedicated Server with KVM, it shows an error and not boot but in 2nd time with sysprep, it works fine. Btw, as I said in my first reply, the main problem is network driver :)

• supick said: I tested my Windows 2008 R2 template on a Dedicated Server with KVM, it shows an error and not boot but in 2nd time with sysprep, it works fine. Btw

it depends how the image is configured... and remember not all servers have KVM. so sysprep wont always help (unless its automated)

• Nothing seems to work for me. I might try the sysprep.

• TarZZ92 said: it depends how the image is configured... and remember not all servers have KVM. so sysprep wont always help (unless its automated)

Yes, I make sysprep automated, I test on server with KVM to find out why template not work, just my experience :)

@conlustro: Try this:
    http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?21993-Qemu-in-rescue-system-e-g-Windows-installation

• I'll take a look but I don't think it's necessary because kimsufi does give you a windows rescue mode if it can't boot into your windows install. The rescue mode is 32bits and I'm installing a 64bit system, so some manual configuration is required.

• In the end I just went with Windows 8.1, it's not so bad I installed the shell script and feels a lot like windows 7 now. Win 8.1 worked right out of the box for me.

Kimsufi will boot your Windows install into windows rescue mode if you try to restart with monitoring enabled, but it takes about an hour for the manual intervention. My problem and everyone else who is having a problem with this is definitely the NIC card driver. If you get into kimsufi's/ovh's windows rescue mode there is software on their rescue kvm called ActivNIC which installs the drivers for the necessary NIC card on your installation, but it didn't work for me, it couldn't find the required registry entries, and I suspect this is due to the fact that the rescue mode vnc is a 32bit instance while the OS I installed is 64bit.

So good luck everyone, maybe in the future someone will find a fix for win7/2008r2 on kimsufi. Their servers run awesome with Windows once you get it installed and configured.

• abatabat Member
    edited November 2014

2012 works also. You can create an image with VMWare Workstation before you upload and dd to the disk, works fine.

EDIT: This is on a KS-2 - with a nice 2TB drive.

• I need more of a workstation so that's why I wanted to go with win 7 or 8.1. Also, my network adapter on my KS-4 is Intel 82579V if that helps anyone.

When I purchased my KS-4 it said only 1TB but I got a 2TB. These things run so sweet, been up for over a day now with no problems. I can see why they want you to pay double to run windows on a soyoustart.

• KS-4 has a CPU which supports hardware virtualization. So nothing stops you from creating a KVM VPS and installing windows yourself there.