Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many IPv6 IPs do you really use. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many IPv6 IPs do you really use.

2»

Comments

• IPv6 was designed so that it's possible for every device (not just network, individual device) to have its own unique IP, and they made real sure that we would not run out of address space for a long time, if ever. The entire argument for conserving IPv6 is moot.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Same, One or two but not more :D

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Comcast gives out a /60 per modem, I only use like 10 of them on any given day on my home nertwork. :)

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2014

If Google do a IPv6 blacklist, it will blacklist the /64 subnet not a unique IPv6

• @GVH_Eric said:
    IPv6 was designed so that it's possible for every device (not just network, individual device) to have its own unique IP, and they made real sure that we would not run out of address space for a long time, if ever. The entire argument for conserving IPv6 is moot.

Actually, it was designed to give each device a unique address per /64, so when you switch between networks, the last part would still be the same regardless as it's usually based on the MAC address of the device.

• No one I used before.

• ipv4 is still being supported on every decent site/service - theres absolutely no reason for me to make the switch to this ridiclous looking ipv6 system.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • Mark_R said: theres absolutely no reason for me to make the switch to this ridiclous looking ipv6 system.

::dead:beef:cafe

• >

Hexspeak :D

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

Mark_R said: ipv4 is still being supported on every decent site/service - theres absolutely no reason for me to make the switch to this ridiclous looking ipv6 system.

When I read that I reach for my revolver text editor to change some config files and make one more website/service of mine IPv6-only. :)

• I only use about 30 on my VPS for most of my domain.
    I might use 1 for irc vhost someday :D

• I'm making everything IPv6-friendly, even though it's not supported by many ISPs here. I use OpenVPN as a 6to4 proxy on one of my machines.

• One thing preventing me using IPv6 more is a lack of DDoS protection available.

• I don't like ipv6, it's new and strange to me

• @sc754 said:
    I don't like ipv6, it's new and strange to me

You look like an old person that doesn't want new stuff, because the old is the best. Try new things, learn them, work with them, than you can say "I don't like it", don't say that just because "it's new".

World keeps changing, and much more the Internet, c'mon 5 years ago I had a nokia with a VGA camera, and now I have a 5'' smartphone that has more power than my computer.

Thanked by 1taronyu
  • @rm_ said:

I simply forgot to add /sarcasm