Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is virtio? Is it really tune the performance?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is virtio? Is it really tune the performance?

danitfkdanitfk Member
edited October 2014 in Help

Hello all geeks

Recently I've faced to VirtO option in Linux-KVM.

Is it really tune the performance for VM's?

In fact VirtiO tune what in a VM?

p.s: virtio as IO virtualization
Thanks in advance

Comments

• its supposed to make it faster and better. however the performance difference is very little.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    its supposed to make it faster and better. however the performance difference is very little.

thanks for your replay,
    virtio as IO virtualization , This makes Disk of VM's faster than none-virtio enabled?

• danitfk said: This makes Disk of VM's faster than none-virtio enabled?

its for everything. disk/network etc.

personally i have yet to see a huge difference, you might get a few MB difference (maybe 180MB compare to Virtio 185MB)

• I've never seens a difference IO wise although network it dramatic from what I've seen.

I had a Windows box with the default Proxmox Intel network drivers and the network was crap, I was downloading at maybe 40-50MB/s I added the Virto drivers and changed the NIC on the VM settings and it worked, getting 80-100MB/s

• Difference between VirtIO and SCSI is not that high (5-10%), differtence between IDE and VirtIO is massive (30%+).

• @rmlhhd said:
    I've never seens a difference IO wise although network it dramatic from what I've seen.

I had a Windows box with the default Proxmox Intel network drivers and the network was crap, I was downloading at maybe 40-50MB/s I added the Virto drivers and changed the NIC on the VM settings and it worked, getting 80-100MB/s

Thanks for your replay ,
    I did start using VirtiO on some Linux server and I'll test and give some benchmark on those box.
    Also I think this needs more times for full-testing.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

The performance difference that you'll get depends on the storage layer.

• When I enabled virtio , I did create a VM and attach windows 2008 .iso , But Windows can't recognize the disks.

Must I install some drivers or etc?

• danitfk said: did create a VM and attach windows 2008 .iso , But Windows can't recognize the disks.

Must I install some drivers or etc?

you get that when you select virtio options. just mount this http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/virtio-win-0.1-81.iso

and select OS etc and add drivers.

Thanked by 1danitfk