Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People Requesting ''Exotic Locations'' - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

People Requesting ''Exotic Locations''

2»

Comments

• It is definitely not erotic :P

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

+1 for north korea, i can't find any provider there.

• bring a North Korea location and that would be exotic

• Iceland

• Moon xD

• Antarctica?

• +1 for Norway or Denmark. Give me a 5$ vps in Norway (with real RIPE ips of the DC) and I will be very impressed

• @chrisp said:
    +1 for Norway or Denmark. Give me a 5$ vps in Norway (with real RIPE ips of the DC) and I will be very impressed

Open up your eyes, its day time, you can dream at night.

Thanked by 1chrisp
  • @TheKiller said:
    Open up your eyes, its day time, you can dream at night.

It can have 128MB for that kind of money :D

Ok ok I keep on dreaming

• emgemg Veteran

Just for interest, I looked at a few very isolated islands yesterday when I noticed this thread. Examples of such islands include: Tristan da Cunha, Kiribati, the Galapagos, etc.

To make some generalizations, Internet access is very expensive and local servers are nonexistent. Websites for those islands are hosted offshore (in the US or a similar "continental" location). Where available, satellite-based Internet access for residents have monthly bandwidth quotas in 10s of megabytes or less. Many islands are so poor that their inhabitants cannot afford Internet access at all.

Here are a few examples of islands that I examined:

Saint Helena is in the South Atlantic, 1200 miles from anywhere. A boat from South Africa is their main connection to the mainland. Tourists probably spend more time on the boat than they do visiting the island. (An airport is under construction.) Saint Helena currently shares a 10 megabit per second Internet link among its ~4,000 residents. The island is lobbying to have the planned South Atlantic Express fiber cable between South America and Africa re-routed so that it crosses the island. See: http://www.connectsthelena.org.

Kiribati is making plans for their population to abandon their islands altogether due to climate change.

Pitcairn Island has no airport or harbor at all. Shipped goods and people are ferried in by small boats. Pitcairn Island inhabitants are aging and emigrating away to the point where its future is dire. Their published repopulation plan is an interesting read.

A few people live on Tristan da Cunha. They farm crops and have sheep. The people knit socks, caps, and sweaters from the wool. A custom-knitted sweater from Tristan da Cunha would be a rare and precious thing indeed, and it would take a long time for your order to be knitted and then shipped to you. The next mail ship is not due to arrive until January 2015.