Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enabling SSL on LEB
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enabling SSL on LEB

jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

As many regulars know, enabling SSL on LET/LEB has been a long requested improvement. We're working on getting that done as soon as possible -- but the process is slow because BSA's official position is that they don't support it yet (http://support.buysellads.com/knowledge_base/topics/do-you-support-ssl?from_search=true).

Does anyone have experience with a BSA competitor that supports SSL?

We have a ticket in with BSA but no response yet regarding their timeline for enabling SSL.

Comments

• StacyStacy Member
    edited October 2014

I don't see the point in enabling SSL here since this is just a forum.

Many of the most popular forums haven't bothered enabling it either since there are no financial transactions done here.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I tend to agree with you @stacy but this feature is requested often. We can do it somehow we'd like to make it happen. There really isn't a downside so long as the BSA issue can be resolved.

• Couldn't you create a system yourself ? instead of doing it third party ?

• BuySellAds publisher pro supports SSL ads although there is a $99/m fee.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

You can enable HTTPS in the meantime and still embed BSA content over HTTP. At least that prevents sniffing of password / cookie by passive attacker.

Thanked by 1netomx

perennate said: You can enable HTTPS in the meantime and still embed BSA content over HTTP. At least that prevents sniffing of password / cookie by passive attacker.

Is there any way to avoid that horrible nag about displaying non-secure content though?

• perennate said: At least that prevents sniffing of password / cookie by passive attacker.

Agreed, LET is one of the only places that I've seen not have their login's secured.

• purple monkey dish washer

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

jbiloh said: Is there any way to avoid that horrible nag about displaying non-secure content though?

I don't think so. But like, I think most people on here are tech-savvy enough to realize that HTTPS with non-secure content is still more secure than HTTP. For me the warning would only show up as icon to left of URL, IE does show dialog by default but no one uses IE anyway.

Hopefully BSA comes back with some good news to the support ticket.

• jbiloh said: Hopefully BSA comes back with some good news to the support ticket.

BSA does support SSL... It just costs more

Not the way the ads are currently setup now.

• jbiloh said: Not the way the ads are currently setup now.

You have to pay more money
    https://pro.buysellads.com/publishers/tour
    CTRL-F for SSL

Well aware of that Spencer, it's not the same thing.

• I find it rather concerning that BSA does not offer SSL by default at this day and age. I've considered them, but now I'm starting to change my mind.

• Maybe someone can get the ball rolling for an open source Ad Management system.

Basically open source version of BSA with HTTPS support.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Stacy said:
    Maybe someone can get the ball rolling for an open source Ad Management system.

Basically open source version of BSA with HTTPS support.

It's as if it already exists and VPSBoard and been using it...

https://github.com/OpenAds/OpenAds

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited October 2014

Here's some literature on OpenAds for those of you guys who are not familiar with it.

https://vpsboard.com/topic/1842-openads-a-free-and-opensource-advertising-system-for-serving-ads-in-house/

In addition, feel free to check out some other projects by our community members here: http://git.vpsboard.com/public/projects

Thanked by 2trewq MannDude
  • rokokrokok Member
    edited October 2014

@jbiloh said:
    Is there any way to avoid that horrible nag about displaying non-secure content though?

on forum?. unless you proxying all (people post embed image, video etc..)

yes changing to ssl is so so concerning about ads, now why not make ad network follow internet, its time to make them follow content owner :)

Heard back from BSA:

Hello Jon,

Thanks for reaching out! We are currently working on changes to our system to support SSL. We do not have a specific launch date for this, although we hope to have this available within the next couple of months. :-)

Thanks,
    Angela

We'll keep looking into alternatives to get this done faster.

• Just popping by to say thanks for the update on implementing SSL and including it on the to-do list.

• You should really do an in-house ad management system and charge a little less than what BSA charges. Then, I could actually afford, maybe, to buy ads on here.. lol

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Stacy said:
    I don't see the point in enabling SSL here since this is just a forum.

Many of the most popular forums haven't bothered enabling it either since there are no financial transactions done here.

But NamePros, DigitalForums has.

• @XFS_Duke said:
    You should really do an in-house ad management system and charge a little less than what BSA charges. Then, I could actually afford, maybe, to buy ads on here.. lol

Why would they charge less though? its not like they have empty ad slots :P

• Just popping by too to say thanks for the update on implementing SSL and including it on the to-do list.

;)

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited October 2014

How about an option to use HTTPS with LET if you type it in manually, then users who want SSL can put up with the insecure content warning until BSA comes up with something?

I've setup a cloudflare subdomain on my domain to get full HTTPS as a workaround, but thanks for working on this issue Mr Biloh! Interesting how cloudflare cname records work...

https://lowend.linuxthefish.net/

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • @linuxthefish said:
    How about an option to use HTTPS with LET if you type it in manually, then users who want SSL can put up with the insecure content warning until BSA comes up with something?

+1.

• I'm actually surprised @jbiloh et al. don't roll their own ads for the site already.

Would solve the issue for them and presumably get them a higher percentage of revenue.

• @ihatetonyy said:
    Would solve the issue for them and presumably get them a higher percentage of revenue.

I was kind of, but then people would have to find LET before advertising rather than flicking through the BSA directory.

• wych said: I was kind of, but then people would have to find LET before advertising rather than flicking through the BSA directory.

True. They never seem to have problems filling spots though, and LET is fairly infamous over at WHT.. probably wouldn't have any real revenue losses if they moved to their own platform.